Re: Any news about Fred Records releases?

  • kayakjak00
    Message 1 of 12 , May 23, 2013
      Sad. I wonder how much good music we'll never hear because musicians just can't earn a living anymore. I wonder how many of the illegal downloaders would be happy working for free.

      I'd prefer a CD to a download, but if it's only feasible to release certain music as downloads, I'd happily buy them. Just have to learn how to burn CDs where songs blend together without the annoying gap between them.

      Alan
      --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, ccc@... wrote:

> [...]
      > only as downloads (now that we have the download site). so they
      > will go up, remastered.
      > he's also working on the points east box...
      >
      > 2.
      > fred's lost enthusiasm needs qualifying
      > sales are way down, especially for anything new (the old
      > favourites trickle along) so the cost and time of mastering
      > is greater than the anticipated return
      > and he's busy, so there's a sort of freeze;
      > there may be something coming soon
      > but so far nothing certain
      >
      > 3.
      > which puts the perspective to the other two
      > sales are at a perilous low for a mixture of
      > reasons i guess: music, especially non-mainstream music
      > just isn't deemed very important any more and anyway if
      > you want it you can get for free; steve maclean just mailed me
      > that he was checking up on Year of the Dragon and found
      > 5 sites offering free flac downloads (those are the ones he
      > found) of the two he could see numbers for 15000 people
      > had downloaded it. nice for the musc circulating, bad for
      > the prospect of any new recordings since we have sold a few
      > hundred and not yet recouped costs. i think this is is what's
      > poisoning the tree. that's why fred hasn't been able to release
      > anything on his/our label for a couple of years, and it's why
      > rer is releasing fewer cds; we have to be more careful; we
      > still press things that we like but won't pay for themselves -
      > paid for by other things that do sell - but fewer of them now,
      > because bankrupt is worse than not being able to do everything
      > we want
      > in the interim, we'll make more use of the download facility
      >
      > it would be useful to know from you all what you think
      > - in general,
      > about releasing as downloads,
      > what else we might do
      >
      > best

      > > Sad... "lost enthusiasm for because not enough people were buying." I
      > > wonder what that means: lost enthusiasm as in disheartened at what he
      > > thought what would be a larger and more appreciative audience, or just
      > > lost
      > > enthusiasm because the project wasn't going to garner significant amounts
      > > of money?
      > >

      > > On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM, kayakjak00 <kayakjak00@...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> I seem to remember that a few months ago, CC said that he had something
      > >> in
      > >> mind to release the rest of the music, which FF had lost enthusiasm for
      > >> because not enough people were buying.
      > >>
      > >> Off topic, and not an ReR release, but has anyone heard the new Massacre
      > >> release? The only word I can come up with is astonishing. Frith doesn't
      > >> go
      > >> for the jugular all that much in general, but this might be his best
      > >> shred
      > >> playing ever. Nonstop inventiveness. Truely jaw dropping.

    • AGUILAR CASTRO JOSE RICARDO
      Message 2 of 12 , May 23, 2013
        I hate downloads, becuase it takes a very important part of the experience, in my opinion.
        When its the Points East box going to be ready?

        Sincereily

        Ricardo Aguilar

> [...]
        > > rer is releasing fewer cds; we have to be more careful; we
        > > still press things that we like but won't pay for themselves -
        > > paid for by other things that do sell - but fewer of them now,
        > > because bankrupt is worse than not being able to do everything
        > > we want
        > > in the interim, we'll make more use of the download facility
        > >
        > > it would be useful to know from you all what you think
        > > - in general,
        > > about releasing as downloads,
        > > what else we might do
        > >
        > > best

        > > > Sad... "lost enthusiasm for because not enough people were buying." I
        > > > wonder what that means: lost enthusiasm as in disheartened at what he
        > > > thought what would be a larger and more appreciative audience, or just
        > > > lost
        > > > enthusiasm because the project wasn't going to garner significant amounts

      • ccrercc
        Message 3 of 12 , May 23, 2013
          > When its the Points East box going to be ready?

          hopefully toward the end of the year
          the sound is all remastered
          most of the writing is in
          first we have to get the cassiber box out and retrieve enough
          money to make the PE box.
          that's the trouble with these
          big projects: to make one item costs the equivalent of
          making a dozen cds, and you have to do 500 or 1000 up front
          so it's precarious.
          the subscriptions help but there aren't very many of them
          these days, at least not for this box, nowhere near enough anyway,
          so, as ever, we have to proceed
          with caution... i'm aiming at the end of the year, but...

          re: burning cds without the annoying gaps between tracks, there
          are a lot of free softwares that give that option, so it
          shouldn't be hard..

          best

          best

          > Sincereily
          >
          > Ricardo Aguilar

        • kayakjak00
          Message 4 of 12 , May 24, 2013
            Thanks. I had a feeling that there was a way, and I'm fairly sure I'd done it in the past. It just really damages the experience when the songs are blending and then Ooops. I have a few downloads like that unfortunately.