Any news about Fred Records releases?

  • kayakjak00
    Message 1 of 12 , May 22, 2013
      I seem to remember that a few months ago, CC said that he had something in mind to release the rest of the music, which FF had lost enthusiasm for because not enough people were buying.

      Off topic, and not an ReR release, but has anyone heard the new Massacre release? The only word I can come up with is astonishing. Frith doesn't go for the jugular all that much in general, but this might be his best shred playing ever. Nonstop inventiveness. Truely jaw dropping.

      Alan
    • Dan Coffey
      Message 2 of 12 , May 22, 2013
        Sad... "lost enthusiasm for because not enough people were buying." I wonder what that means: lost enthusiasm as in disheartened at what he thought what would be a larger and more appreciative audience, or just lost enthusiasm because the project wasn't going to garner significant amounts of money?

        On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM, kayakjak00 <kayakjak00@...> wrote:

        I seem to remember that a few months ago, CC said that he had something in mind to release the rest of the music, which FF had lost enthusiasm for because not enough people were buying.

        Off topic, and not an ReR release, but has anyone heard the new Massacre release? The only word I can come up with is astonishing. Frith doesn't go for the jugular all that much in general, but this might be his best shred playing ever. Nonstop inventiveness. Truely jaw dropping.

        Alan

      • ccrercc
        Message 3 of 12 , May 23, 2013
          hi

          three questions here between you i can answer

          1.
          bob and a raft of reissues.
          yes and no
          because of the way things are now (see next answers)
          i want to make these titles available, but at this stage
          only as downloads (now that we have the download site). so they
          will go up, remastered.
          he's also working on the points east box...

          2.
          fred's lost enthusiasm needs qualifying
          sales are way down, especially for anything new (the old
          favourites trickle along) so the cost and time of mastering
          is greater than the anticipated return
          and he's busy, so there's a sort of freeze;
          there may be something coming soon
          but so far nothing certain

          3.
          which puts the perspective to the other two
          sales are at a perilous low for a mixture of
          reasons i guess: music, especially non-mainstream music
          just isn't deemed very important any more and anyway if
          you want it you can get for free; steve maclean just mailed me
          that he was checking up on Year of the Dragon and found
          5 sites offering free flac downloads (those are the ones he
          found) of the two he could see numbers for 15000 people
          had downloaded it. nice for the musc circulating, bad for
          the prospect of any new recordings since we have sold a few
          hundred and not yet recouped costs. i think this is is what's
          poisoning the tree. that's why fred hasn't been able to release
          anything on his/our label for a couple of years, and it's why
          rer is releasing fewer cds; we have to be more careful; we
          still press things that we like but won't pay for themselves -
          paid for by other things that do sell - but fewer of them now,
          because bankrupt is worse than not being able to do everything
          we want
          in the interim, we'll make more use of the download facility

          it would be useful to know from you all what you think
          - in general,
          about releasing as downloads,
          what else we might do

          best

          > Sad... "lost enthusiasm for because not enough people were buying." I
          > wonder what that means: lost enthusiasm as in disheartened at what he
          > thought what would be a larger and more appreciative audience, or just
          > lost
          > enthusiasm because the project wasn't going to garner significant amounts
          > of money?
          >

          > On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM, kayakjak00 <kayakjak00@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> I seem to remember that a few months ago, CC said that he had something
          >> in
          >> mind to release the rest of the music, which FF had lost enthusiasm for
          >> because not enough people were buying.
          >>
          >> Off topic, and not an ReR release, but has anyone heard the new Massacre
          >> release? The only word I can come up with is astonishing. Frith doesn't
          >> go
          >> for the jugular all that much in general, but this might be his best
          >> shred
          >> playing ever. Nonstop inventiveness. Truely jaw dropping.
          >>
          >> Alan

        • James Peter
          Message 4 of 12 , May 23, 2013
            Thank you, as ever Chris, for your reply. I'm sure I speak for many on here, when I say that i'd rather pay for a properly crafted, officially sanctioned CD, than a free and unauthorized download. It's such a shame, that there aren't adequate numbers to justify the outlay, though.

            --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, ccc@... wrote:

> [...]
            > > lost
            > > enthusiasm because the project wasn't going to garner significant amounts
            > > of money?
            > >

            > > On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM, kayakjak00 <kayakjak00@...>
            > > wrote:
            > >
            > >> **
            > >>

            > >> I seem to remember that a few months ago, CC said that he had something
            > >> in
            > >> mind to release the rest of the music, which FF had lost enthusiasm for
            > >> because not enough people were buying.
            > >>
            > >> Off topic, and not an ReR release, but has anyone heard the new Massacre
            > >> release? The only word I can come up with is astonishing. Frith doesn't
            > >> go
            > >> for the jugular all that much in general, but this might be his best
            > >> shred
            > >> playing ever. Nonstop inventiveness. Truely jaw dropping.

          • James Peter
            Message 5 of 12 , May 23, 2013
              Absolutely: the Massacre release is astounding, Alan. Fred is on FIRE!

              --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, "kayakjak00" <kayakjak00@...> wrote:

              > I seem to remember that a few months ago, CC said that he had something in mind to release the rest of the music, which FF had lost enthusiasm for because not enough people were buying.
              >
              > Off topic, and not an ReR release, but has anyone heard the new Massacre release? The only word I can come up with is astonishing. Frith doesn't go for the jugular all that much in general, but this might be his best shred playing ever. Nonstop inventiveness. Truely jaw dropping.
              >
              > Alan

            • Iain Kitt
              Message 6 of 12 , May 23, 2013

                Whilst I agree I’d prefer the physical artefact downloads will be better than nothing at all so I’m grateful to Chris for keeping his efforts going to make great music that wouldn’t otherwise be heard, available.

                I don’t understand people who illegally download music. Surely they must realise that it is threatening the very ability of musicians to make new music available? Talk about short-sighted!

                Iain

> [...]

                > lost
                > enthusiasm because the project wasn't going to garner significant amounts
                > of money?
                >

                > On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM, kayakjak00 <kayakjak00@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> **
                >>

                >> I seem to remember that a few months ago, CC said that he had something
                >> in
                >> mind to release the rest of the music, which FF had lost enthusiasm for
                >> because not enough people were buying.
                >>
                >> Off topic, and not an ReR release, but has anyone heard the new Massacre
                >> release? The only word I can come up with is astonishing. Frith doesn't
                >> go
                >> for the jugular all that much in general, but this might be his best
                >> shred
                >> playing ever. Nonstop inventiveness. Truely jaw dropping.

              • jctweddell
                Message 7 of 12 , May 23, 2013
                  jpeters wrote

                  "Thank you, as ever Chris, for your reply. I'm sure I speak for many on here, when I say that I'd rather pay for a properly crafted, officially sanctioned CD, than a free and unauthorized download. It's such a shame, that there aren't adequate numbers to justify the outlay, though.
                  "
                  Additionally I prefer a CD to a download. The quality of MP3 is only adequate in my view - Okay for an Ipod on the train. While FLAC is much better my rather old but excellent Hi Fi would need and upgrade and that isn't a priority at the moment.

                  There has been a debate on Calyx about the roll off on CD's being about 20khz, and given that most peoples hearing cuts off at about 15khz does this or does this not make a difference. I think the jury is out.

                  With regard "free unofficial downloads". I take the view that professional musicians like everyone else deserve to get paid for their work ( I appreciate this argument has less merit with some of the highly paid popular artists). So unless the download is provided by the musicians or record label for free I steer clear.

                  John

                • Renato Moraes
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 23, 2013
                      Dear Chris and all,

                      Although I have not much space left within my shelves, I still would rather physical CDs than downloads.

                      Also, as I am brazilian and live in Brazil, it was not possible, until recently, to buy downloads from Amazon or Apple store. I believe that this was the same for many other countries and this also helps the free download sites.

                      There is a very unhappy truth about downloads:  if an album was downloaded for free 15000 times, it does not mean that all that people would buy it if a free-download was not available.

                      A lot of people use to download a huge amount of stuff because it is free or just to have an idea what kind of music is that.  If you try to have an idea of what a 70 min symphony sounds like with a 30 seconds sample....  I know it is not an excuse to justify downloads, but a lot of people download stuff just to check it out.

                      I think downloads are also a question of generation.  I am geologist/teacher and most students of mine (19 to 26 years old) don't care for the physical object and most of them do not also care for the historical context.  They download the whole Miles Davis discography and listen to him playing with Bird in 47 and then the unfinished Doo-bop from 1990 (I think) and most thinks Miles had no style or coherence with his music.

                      I am probably raining in a wet floor with my message, but I would like to contribute with my 2 cents.

                      best
                      Renato

                  • kayakjak00
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 23, 2013
                      Sad. I wonder how much good music we'll never hear because musicians just can't earn a living anymore. I wonder how many of the illegal downloaders would be happy working for free.

                      I'd prefer a CD to a download, but if it's only feasible to release certain music as downloads, I'd happily buy them. Just have to learn how to burn CDs where songs blend together without the annoying gap between them.

                      Alan

                    • AGUILAR CASTRO JOSE RICARDO
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 23, 2013
                        I hate downloads, becuase it takes a very important part of the experience, in my opinion.
                        When its the Points East box going to be ready?

                        Sincereily

                        Ricardo Aguilar

> [...]
                        > > rer is releasing fewer cds; we have to be more careful; we
                        > > still press things that we like but won't pay for themselves -
                        > > paid for by other things that do sell - but fewer of them now,
                        > > because bankrupt is worse than not being able to do everything
                        > > we want
                        > > in the interim, we'll make more use of the download facility
                        > >
                        > > it would be useful to know from you all what you think
                        > > - in general,
                        > > about releasing as downloads,
                        > > what else we might do
                        > >
                        > > best

                        > > > Sad... "lost enthusiasm for because not enough people were buying." I
                        > > > wonder what that means: lost enthusiasm as in disheartened at what he
                        > > > thought what would be a larger and more appreciative audience, or just
                        > > > lost
                        > > > enthusiasm because the project wasn't going to garner significant amounts

                      • ccrercc
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 23, 2013
                          > When its the Points East box going to be ready?

                          hopefully toward the end of the year
                          the sound is all remastered
                          most of the writing is in
                          first we have to get the cassiber box out and retrieve enough
                          money to make the PE box.
                          that's the trouble with these
                          big projects: to make one item costs the equivalent of
                          making a dozen cds, and you have to do 500 or 1000 up front
                          so it's precarious.
                          the subscriptions help but there aren't very many of them
                          these days, at least not for this box, nowhere near enough anyway,
                          so, as ever, we have to proceed
                          with caution... i'm aiming at the end of the year, but...

                          re: burning cds without the annoying gaps between tracks, there
                          are a lot of free softwares that give that option, so it
                          shouldn't be hard..

                          best

                          best

                          > Sincereily
                          >
                          > Ricardo Aguilar

                        • kayakjak00
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 24, 2013
                            Thanks. I had a feeling that there was a way, and I'm fairly sure I'd done it in the past. It just really damages the experience when the songs are blending and then Ooops. I have a few downloads like that unfortunately.