message from Chris

  • Glenn c
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 18, 2012

      Dear friends

      in case this is interesting,
      i've been working on a series of radio programmes/lectures for
      the museum of modern art, barcelona,
      Nos1 - 4 are now complete
      and No.1 is now online here:

      http://rwm.macba.cat/en/curatorial/probes1_chris_cutler_/capsula

      where you can download the audio (45 min)
      and the transcript

      The series is called Probes
      here's the outline:

      In the late nineteenth century two facts conspired to change the face of music: the collapse of common practice tonality
      (which overturned the certainties underpinning the world of Art music), and the invention of a revolutionary new form of
      memory, sound recording (which redefined and greatly empowered the world of popular music). A tidal wave of probes and
      experiments into new musical resources and new organisational practices ploughed through both disciplines, bringing parts
      of each onto shared terrain before rolling on to underpin a new aesthetics able to follow sound and its manipulations
      beyond the narrow confines of ‘music’. This series tries analytically to trace and explain these developments, and to
      show how, and why, both musical and post-musical genres take the forms they do.

      The first programme sets the scene and investigates early reconsiderations of pitch: probes that postulate new scales
      to be constructed through the ever-greater subdivision of the inherited intervals of equal temperament.

      please let me know if you think i have missed anything...

      thanks

      best

      Chris Cutler

    • James Peter
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22, 2012
        A characteristically fantastic broadcast from Chris and highly recommended (no pun intended).

        --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, Glenn c <WebGlenn@...> wrote:

        > Dear friends
        >
        > in case this is interesting,
        > i've been working on a series of radio programmes/lectures for
        > the museum of modern art, barcelona,
        > Nos1 - 4 are now complete
        > and No.1 is now online here:
        >
        > http://rwm.macba.cat/en/curatorial/probes1_chris_cutler_/capsula
        >
        > where you can download the audio (45 min)
        > and the transcript
        >
        > The series is called Probes
        > here's the outline:
        >
        > In the late nineteenth century two facts conspired to change the face of
        > music: the collapse of common practice tonality
        > (which overturned the certainties underpinning the world of Art music), and
        > the invention of a revolutionary new form of
        > memory, sound recording (which redefined and greatly empowered the world of
        > popular music). A tidal wave of probes and
        > experiments into new musical resources and new organisational practices
        > ploughed through both disciplines, bringing parts
        > of each onto shared terrain before rolling on to underpin a new aesthetics
        > able to follow sound and its manipulations
        > beyond the narrow confines of `music'. This series tries analytically to
        > trace and explain these developments, and to
        > show how, and why, both musical and post-musical genres take the forms they
        > do.
        >
        > The first programme sets the scene and investigates early reconsiderations
        > of pitch: probes that postulate new scales
        > to be constructed through the ever-greater subdivision of the inherited
        > intervals of equal temperament.
        >
        > please let me know if you think i have missed anything...
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > best
        >
        > Chris Cutler

      • Rudolph Carrera
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2012
          No, no, that's a pun that should be well-intended!  I always find it a joy to hear Chris speak.

          Regards,

          Rudy Carrera
          A Miscellany of Tasteful Music / Carrera-Linn Cultural Exchange (CLCX)
          Los Angeles, CA, USA - Skopje, Macedonia

          Sent from my iPad

          On Sep 22, 2012, at 2:13 PM, "James Peter" <jpeter183@...> wrote:

          A characteristically fantastic broadcast from Chris and highly recommended (no pun intended).

          --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, Glenn c <WebGlenn@...> wrote:

          > Dear friends
          >
          > in case this is interesting,
          > i've been working on a series of radio programmes/lectures for
          > the museum of modern art, barcelona,
          > Nos1 - 4 are now complete
          > and No.1 is now online here:
          >
          > http://rwm.macba.cat/en/curatorial/probes1_chris_cutler_/capsula
          >
          > where you can download the audio (45 min)
          > and the transcript
          >
          > The series is called Probes
          > here's the outline:
          >
          > In the late nineteenth century two facts conspired to change the face of
          > music: the collapse of common practice tonality
          > (which overturned the certainties underpinning the world of Art music), and
          > the invention of a revolutionary new form of
          > memory, sound recording (which redefined and greatly empowered the world of
          > popular music). A tidal wave of probes and
          > experiments into new musical resources and new organisational practices
          > ploughed through both disciplines, bringing parts
          > of each onto shared terrain before rolling on to underpin a new aesthetics
          > able to follow sound and its manipulations
          > beyond the narrow confines of `music'. This series tries analytically to
          > trace and explain these developments, and to
          > show how, and why, both musical and post-musical genres take the forms they
          > do.
          >
          > The first programme sets the scene and investigates early reconsiderations
          > of pitch: probes that postulate new scales
          > to be constructed through the ever-greater subdivision of the inherited
          > intervals of equal temperament.
          >
          > please let me know if you think i have missed anything...
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > best
          >
          > Chris Cutler

        • James Peter
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 22, 2012
            Point taken, Rudy! And it is indeed a joy to hear Chris speak.

            --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, Rudolph Carrera <rudolphcarrera@...> wrote:

            > No, no, that's a pun that should be well-intended! I always find it a joy to hear Chris speak.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Rudy Carrera
            > A Miscellany of Tasteful Music / Carrera-Linn Cultural Exchange (CLCX)
            > Los Angeles, CA, USA - Skopje, Macedonia
            >
            > Sent from my iPad
            >
            > On Sep 22, 2012, at 2:13 PM, "James Peter" <jpeter183@...> wrote:
            >
            > > A characteristically fantastic broadcast from Chris and highly recommended (no pun intended).
            > >
            > > --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, Glenn c <WebGlenn@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Dear friends
            > > >
            > > > in case this is interesting,
            > > > i've been working on a series of radio programmes/lectures for
            > > > the museum of modern art, barcelona,
            > > > Nos1 - 4 are now complete
            > > > and No.1 is now online here:
            > > >
            > > > http://rwm.macba.cat/en/curatorial/probes1_chris_cutler_/capsula
            > > >
            > > > where you can download the audio (45 min)
            > > > and the transcript
            > > >
            > > > The series is called Probes
            > > > here's the outline:
            > > >
            > > > In the late nineteenth century two facts conspired to change the face of
            > > > music: the collapse of common practice tonality
            > > > (which overturned the certainties underpinning the world of Art music), and
            > > > the invention of a revolutionary new form of
            > > > memory, sound recording (which redefined and greatly empowered the world of
            > > > popular music). A tidal wave of probes and
            > > > experiments into new musical resources and new organisational practices
            > > > ploughed through both disciplines, bringing parts
            > > > of each onto shared terrain before rolling on to underpin a new aesthetics
            > > > able to follow sound and its manipulations
            > > > beyond the narrow confines of `music'. This series tries analytically to
            > > > trace and explain these developments, and to
            > > > show how, and why, both musical and post-musical genres take the forms they
            > > > do.
            > > >
            > > > The first programme sets the scene and investigates early reconsiderations
            > > > of pitch: probes that postulate new scales
            > > > to be constructed through the ever-greater subdivision of the inherited
            > > > intervals of equal temperament.
            > > >
            > > > please let me know if you think i have missed anything...
            > > >
            > > > thanks
            > > >
            > > > best
            > > >
            > > > Chris Cutler

          • Darren
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 23, 2012
              Over the years I've enjoyed various artists/musicians speaking/being interviewed, and those that come over as being very intelligent, articulate, thoughtful, and immensely interesting have been Zappa, Robert Fripp, Peter Hammill, Suzanne Vega, Diamanda Galas, Fred Frith, and now Chris easily joins the list (there's more names, but my flu-infested being is struggling!)

              --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, "James Peter" <jpeter183@...> wrote:

              > Point taken, Rudy! And it is indeed a joy to hear Chris speak.
              >
              > --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, Rudolph Carrera <rudolphcarrera@> wrote:
              > >
              > > No, no, that's a pun that should be well-intended! I always find it a joy to hear Chris speak.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > Rudy Carrera
              > > A Miscellany of Tasteful Music / Carrera-Linn Cultural Exchange (CLCX)
              > > Los Angeles, CA, USA - Skopje, Macedonia
              > >
              > > Sent from my iPad
              > >
              > > On Sep 22, 2012, at 2:13 PM, "James Peter" <jpeter183@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > A characteristically fantastic broadcast from Chris and highly recommended (no pun intended).

            • Dan Coffey
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 23, 2012
                You don't hear him speak nearly as often but Guy Evans of Van der Graaf Generator is every bit as thoughtful and interesting when being interviewed as his bandmate Peter Hammill!

              • hugh
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 23, 2012
                  while i have had the pleasure of speaking with Guy on 3 different occaisions, i don't thhink i've ever heard him officially interviewed.....you don't by chance have a link to any online interviews with him, do you?

                  and while i'm dropping names, i also had a short conversation with Mr. Cutler on a rainy night in cleveland when he was in town along with John Greaves as part of the Peter Blegvad trio.

                  --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, Dan Coffey <dpcoffey@...> wrote:

                  > You don't hear him speak nearly as often but Guy Evans of Van der Graaf
                  > Generator is every bit as thoughtful and interesting when being interviewed
                  > as his bandmate Peter Hammill!
                  >
                  > On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Darren <darrenaiw3@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > Over the years I've enjoyed various artists/musicians speaking/being
                  > > interviewed, and those that come over as being very intelligent,
                  > > articulate, thoughtful, and immensely interesting have been Zappa, Robert
                  > > Fripp, Peter Hammill, Suzanne Vega, Diamanda Galas, Fred Frith, and now
                  > > Chris easily joins the list (there's more names, but my flu-infested being
                  > > is struggling!)
                  > >
                  > > --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, "James Peter" <jpeter183@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Point taken, Rudy! And it is indeed a joy to hear Chris speak.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, Rudolph Carrera <rudolphcarrera@>

                  > > joy to hear Chris speak.

                  > > recommended (no pun intended).

                  > > face of
                  > > music), and
                  > > world of
                  > > practices
                  > > aesthetics
                  > > analytically to
                  > > forms they

                  > > reconsiderations
                  > > inherited

                • Dan Coffey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 23, 2012
                    There's an interview with Hammill and Evans that's on YouTube I think - done in the mid 70s by a magazine called Fresh Fruit. Aside from that, the only thing I can think of is the Chicago radio broadcast of Jon Langford with the VdGG trio, where Guy holds forth on jazz like a professor. And there's an interview I did with the three of them in Cleveland (!) on the Trisector tour where Guy was fairly vocal.

                  • Dan Coffey
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 23, 2012
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Hpx7Dlvk4

                      On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Dan Coffey <dpcoffey@...> wrote:
                      There's an interview with Hammill and Evans that's on YouTube I think - done in the mid 70s by a magazine called Fresh Fruit. Aside from that, the only thing I can think of is the Chicago radio broadcast of Jon Langford with the VdGG trio, where Guy holds forth on jazz like a professor. And there's an interview I did with the three of them in Cleveland (!) on the Trisector tour where Guy was fairly vocal.

                      On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM, hugh <wreck_d2001@...> wrote:

                      while i have had the pleasure of speaking with Guy on 3 different occaisions, i don't thhink i've ever heard him officially interviewed.....you don't by chance have a link to any online interviews with him, do you?

                      and while i'm dropping names, i also had a short conversation with Mr. Cutler on a rainy night in cleveland when he was in town along with John Greaves as part of the Peter Blegvad trio.

                      --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, Dan Coffey <dpcoffey@...> wrote:

                      > You don't hear him speak nearly as often but Guy Evans of Van der Graaf
                      > Generator is every bit as thoughtful and interesting when being interviewed
                      > as his bandmate Peter Hammill!
                      >
                      > On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Darren <darrenaiw3@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **

                      > > Over the years I've enjoyed various artists/musicians speaking/being
                      > > interviewed, and those that come over as being very intelligent,
                      > > articulate, thoughtful, and immensely interesting have been Zappa, Robert
                      > > Fripp, Peter Hammill, Suzanne Vega, Diamanda Galas, Fred Frith, and now
                      > > Chris easily joins the list (there's more names, but my flu-infested being
                      > > is struggling!)
                      > >
                      > > --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, "James Peter" <jpeter183@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Point taken, Rudy! And it is indeed a joy to hear Chris speak.
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, Rudolph Carrera <rudolphcarrera@>

                      > > joy to hear Chris speak.

                      > > recommended (no pun intended).

                      > > face of
                      > > music), and
                      > > world of
                      > > practices
                      > > aesthetics
                      > > analytically to
                      > > forms they

                      > > reconsiderations
                      > > inherited

                    • James Peter
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
                        Guy Evans is indeed a very articulate man.