Lindsay Cooper compilation

  • Fred Janosy
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 20, 2011
      Hello everyone. It has been a while but this project is not forgotten! I am most probably going to see the ROBERT WYATT project in Victoriaville, Quebec this year and I hope to speak to Chris Cutler about how I can help to further this project!
      Hang on a little longer!
      Ok
      Frederic
    • Fred Janosy
      Message 2 of 11 , May 23, 2011
        Hello again. Well true to my word I was in Victoriaville last night to see COMICOPERANDO!! Great, Wonderful...what can I say in words. And it is always such a joy to watch Chris Cutler drum. Thank you all!

        I briefly spoke to Chris Cutler about our Lindsay Cooper compilation. The probable next step is for Chris to actually go to Lindsay's home to rummage through her closets in search of all these great tapes we might use. While he assures me that it will get done I am sure we can all appreciate that it is not always easy to find the time to do our many projects. And at least compared to me, I would say that Chris has undertaken at least 300 more projects than myself so I understand that this will take the time it will take.
        I am patient as we all are wont to be...although we may not want to be...
        Ok I'll stop the cleverness and go on being patient

        Good day to you all
        Frederic

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2011
          A few weeks ago I met Chris Cutler in Florence (where he performed with the Comicoperando band) and I gave him my cassette recording of Henry Cow's last concert (Milan, July 25th, 1978).
          Its sound quality is not so good but -- as far as I know -- it's the only existing recording of that gig.
          That concert was broken off ahead of time by an urban policeman (because someone from the wealthy neighbourhood of piazza Duomo complained) but Lindsay Cooper and Anne-Marie Roelofs didn't stop playing: they just went off "stage" (although there was actually no real stage) and improvised a walking duet around the Duomo square.
          I managed to record (in mono) that sax-trombone duet (or at least part of it) on another cassette, which I completed the day after in Santarcangelo di Romagna, with the Mike Westbrook Brass Band's gig, performing mostly stuff from "Mama Chicago"; but their second encore was "Let the Slave", with all the audience singing the choir part and going on with that sort of humming chorus far beyond the end of the concert (I remember that Henry Cow's sound engineer Maggie was among that audience too).
          A few days ago, when I tried to transfer that mono cassette on my hard disk, I discovered that almost no trace of all that remains on it: there are only the Cooper/Roelofs duet, a few minutes of various street performances from Santarcangelo, twenty minutes of Westbrook Brass Band (including a wonderful Hunter/Chambers sax duet but not "Let the Slave") and then silence only. My cassette has apparently demagnetized, although I didn't know that a tape could partially demagnetize: I thought that it was one of those "all or nothing" kind of things.
          Anyway, you can find the surviving Cooper/Roelofs duet (4 flac files = 12 minutes = 70 MB) in
          http://tinyurl.com/lc-amr-25-7-1978
          http://tinyurl.com/lc-amr-25-7-78
          Link expires Thursday, June 9, 2011, 7:43 AM CST and my zipped file will be downloadable 20 times only.

          Alessandro