Opening - The Henry Cow Archive Mystery

  • colesmh
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 25, 2005
      So how come we have 45 members and no messages posted?

      Here's one to kick start -
      Why don't ReR (or anyone else for that matter) release some of the vast
      Henry Cow archive of live performances - like 22 March 1978, Radio
      Bremen for example?
      Or a DVD of the 4 November 197,3 French TV recording from the Manor of
      the improvisations released on the "Greasy Truckers" album?
      Why oh why?

      Martin.
    • michel ramond
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 25, 2005
        hi Martin & list,

        CC had considered to do it years ago (Bob Drake had even declared that he
        had remixed or remastered a few HC live pieces ...) but apparently the
        project has been forsaken.

        michel

        > So how come we have 45 members and no messages posted?
        >
        > Here's one to kick start -
        > Why don't ReR (or anyone else for that matter) release some of the vast
        > Henry Cow archive of live performances - like 22 March 1978, Radio
        > Bremen for example?
        > Or a DVD of the 4 November 197,3 French TV recording from the Manor of
        > the improvisations released on the "Greasy Truckers" album?
        > Why oh why?
        >
        > Martin.

      • ccc
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 25, 2005
          hi martin

          thanks for the post

          all is not completely lost

          i have been making moves toward getting various radio mastertapes and have been going through other archive material with a view to a cd set; one of the difficulties is getting all of the band to agree on material or even the idea of releasing much of it - but i think in time it might work, especially because so much is out there anyway but in terrible quality. so i am working on it.

          this newsgroup will be the first to know

          however

          > DVD of the 4 November 1973 French TV recording from the Manor of
          the >improvisations released on the "Greasy Truckers" album?

          i have to admit i don't know anything about this and i would be very grateful for any details you can supply; i would certainly chase this down. and maybe someone knows about a swiss tv programme from the mid '70s?? please let me know

          and feel free to suggest other items, this is extremely useful

          thanks

          best

          chris cutler
          chris cutler

          79 Beulah Rd.
          Thornton Heath
          Surrey CR7 8JG
          UK

          www.ccutler.com
        • Glenn c
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 25, 2005
            Just wanted to welcome some of the new members who have joined recently.

            You'll have noticed it's a shade quiet, but we're still growing.

            Feel free to let like-minded web-travellers know about this place and
            we can broaden from there.

            take care all and have an excellent week

            Glenn

            p.s. a henry cow dvd would be extremely welcome - in the meanwhile
            there's a fred frith dvd which is worth checking out

            On 10/25/05, michel ramond <ramond.michel@...> wrote:
            > hi Martin & list,
            >
            > CC had considered to do it years ago (Bob Drake had even declared that he
            > had remixed or remastered a few HC live pieces ...) but apparently the
            > project has been forsaken.
            >
            > michel

          • Bob Drake
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 28, 2005
              --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, "michel ramond"
              <ramond.michel@w...> wrote:

              > hi Martin & list,
              >
              > CC had considered to do it years ago (Bob Drake had even declared
              that he
              > had remixed or remastered a few HC live pieces ...)

              I did indeed. Nothing was remixed but I spent a lot of time trying to
              clean up a lot of two-track recordings, some live and some studio. A
              lot of them were fairly easy to clear up and/or sounded pretty good
              already, but there were a couple live recordings where it was a
              difficult choice trying to decide which was worse - the music almost
              lost under a layer of rumble and hiss and other noises, or the
              artifacts caused by the noise reduction software... which like
              everything else in the DAW world has taken giant leaps forward in
              recent years. (I think I was working on that stuff pre-2000???)

              Hi everyone and thanks for breaking the ice, Glenn!
              Bob D
              www.bdrak.com
            • CLCX
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 28, 2005

                I’ll have to second Bob’s thanks.  This list is amazing, and it’s a pleasure seeing your words here.

                Rudy

                http://rudycarrera.com/

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
                  Hi Chris,

                  Re - 4 November 1973 French TV recording from the Manor of the improvisations released
                  on the "Greasy Truckers" album?

                  I have a friend with a contact at the Institut National de l'Audiovisuel (INA) in Paris, where I
                  believe some of Magma's early TV appearances are lurking - I will attempt to find out more
                  about it from him.

                  So did Henry Cow never appear on TV in UK?
                  (Apart from the BBC2 Tubular Bells thing in 1973?)

                  Loads, loads more live recordings I could suggest for release -
                  Art Bears - Milan, Rome or Charleville
                  Henry Cow - the complete BBC sessions, the summer '75 tour with Robert Wyatt, or
                  Battersea Arts Centre, 13 February 1977 (maybe the greatest I ever witnessed).

                  All the best for now,
                  Martin.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
                    hi

                    I have a friend with a contact at the Institut National de l'Audiovisuel (INA) in Paris, where I believe some of Magma's early TV appearances are lurking - I will attempt to find out more
                    about it from him.

                    thanks, that would be very useful

                    So did Henry Cow never appear on TV in UK?

                    no, never

                    Art Bears - Milan, Rome or Charleville
                    some of this is in the art bears box..

                    >Henry Cow - the complete BBC sessions

                    again it's hard to get copies of all of these in good quality
                    especially some of the early ones which the bbc no longer has

                    Battersea Arts Centre, 13 February 1977 (maybe the greatest I ever witnessed).

                    was it recorded?

                    chris cutler

                    79 Beulah Rd.
                    Thornton Heath
                    Surrey CR7 8JG
                    UK

                    www.ccutler.com
                  • michel ramond
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
                        cow peel shows

                        >"Audiophile remastered edition of 100 numbered copies".
                        Details below from the Fred Frith discography

                        anyone got a copy?

                        chris cutler

                        79 Beulah Rd.
                        Thornton Heath
                        Surrey CR7 8JG
                        UK

                        www.ccutler.com
                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
                          --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, ccc <ccc@m...> wrote:

                          > cow peel shows
                          >
                          > > >"Audiophile remastered edition of 100 numbered copies".
                          > >Details below from the Fred Frith discography
                          >
                          > anyone got a copy?

                          If you toot round the 'net there is a 2CD set masquerading as "Ruins"
                          of Henry Cow out-takes and stuff.

                          http://homepage1.nifty.com/ERuKa/acHenryCowCD.html#012

                          And take a look at the "live" 2CD listed afterwards.

                          Steve