Are You Morbidly Obese and Willing to Commit to 100% Raw?

  • Annette
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 27, 2005
      If you are, you are invited to join the Raw Food Boot Camp.

      Carlene lost 104 pounds in 6 months by eating 100% raw foods. It has
      become her mission to help others do the same thing. You can read more
      about Carlene on her web site: http://www.Ibeatobesity.com

      Then, to learn more about the boot camp, go to
      http://www.rawfoodbootcamp.com
      There you can read about the program and the commitment.

      If you join Raw Food Bootcamp, you will be asked to commit to 30 days
      of simple, low fat, 100% Raw and daily exercise. "There are actually a
      lot of things you will need to do to prepare for your raw journey.
      Family members will need to be notified and and asked to guarantee
      their support. You will need to clean out your cupboards, make goal
      lists, organize your wardrobe, do some research, take pictures, and
      other small things to get your mind, your home, and your family
      committed to success."

      If you're serious about finally losing the extra weight you've been
      carrying, please join us.

      Annette
    • Marcus
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 27, 2005
        For only $25 bucks a month after your first month! Wow, this lady
        started eating raw back in May and 6 months later is toting the new
        weight loss revolution with a pay for play website! I think the more raw
        food gets more popular we'll see many more efforts as this one to
        capitalize on raw food as a "diet program" vs a lifestyle. Of course
        it's no miracle that if you go 100% raw with exercise for 6 months
        losing 100 lbs isn't any suprise. Low Fat?! Low Fat Diets is what keep
        people fat! Go figure..

        Annette wrote:

        >If you are, you are invited to join the Raw Food Boot Camp.
        >
        >Carlene lost 104 pounds in 6 months by eating 100% raw foods. It has
        >become her mission to help others do the same thing. You can read more
        >about Carlene on her web site: http://www.Ibeatobesity.com
        >
        >Then, to learn more about the boot camp, go to
        >http://www.rawfoodbootcamp.com
        >There you can read about the program and the commitment.
        >
        >If you join Raw Food Bootcamp, you will be asked to commit to 30 days
        >of simple, low fat, 100% Raw and daily exercise. "There are actually a
        >lot of things you will need to do to prepare for your raw journey.
        >Family members will need to be notified and and asked to guarantee
        >their support. You will need to clean out your cupboards, make goal
        >lists, organize your wardrobe, do some research, take pictures, and
        >other small things to get your mind, your home, and your family
        >committed to success."
        >
        >If you're serious about finally losing the extra weight you've been
        >carrying, please join us.
        >

        >Annette
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Annette
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 27, 2005
          I was expecting a response such as yours, Marcus.

          We knew the raw community wouldn't like raw being promoted as a diet.
          Raw folks will support people going raw to cure disease, but for
          dieting they take offense. Our view is that obesity is a disease, so
          what's the difference?

          In the beginning, we also went back and forth about whether there
          should be a charge to be a member of the boot camp. Knowing that
          oftentimes people are more committed when they have to pay, we decided
          on a nominal charge. The boot camp fees are considerably lower than
          those charged by a number of the raw food coaches (not to mention the
          price of raw retreats).

          In the end, whether the boot camp makes it or not relies on the people
          who join and how badly they want to succeed. If ardent raw folks want
          to convince us we are unworthy of this miracle, then shame on the raw
          folks. Nothing you say will deter Carlene from helping other people.
          She believes raw can cure obesity and her goal in life is to help the
          obese, not support the elitism of raw foodists.

          I have been going back and forth between raw and cooked for over five
          years, maintaining raw for two months at a time and then falling head
          first into a pizza or such. If I am able to finally be successful at
          losing weight rather than the yo-yo syndrome I'm used to by making a
          commitment to someone who is willing to support me, give me homework
          assignments, feedback, etc., then pay I will.

          I am a firm believer in eating raw as a long-term, forever lifestyle,
          and yet I haven't been able to do it yet. As an obese person, I have
          issues and frustrations that you can only begin to guess at if you've
          never been seriously overweight. I applaud Carlene and her willingness
          and effort to be our drill sergeant and lead us to health.

          Annette

          --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, Marcus <sdelic@s...> wrote:

          > For only $25 bucks a month after your first month! Wow, this lady
          > started eating raw back in May and 6 months later is toting the new
          > weight loss revolution with a pay for play website!
        • Jeff Rogers
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 27, 2005
            > We knew the raw community wouldn't like raw being promoted as a diet.
            > Raw folks will support people going raw to cure disease, but for
            > dieting they take offense.

            Annette,

            That's not completely true. I realize there may be a few raw foodists
            that feel that way, but I'm sure there are plenty of others who would
            just like to see more healthy people, however they get there. Just as
            there are a variety of reasons people move from a Standard American
            Diet to a vegetarian or vegan diet, there are a variety of reasons to
            go raw.

            I, personally, am all for encouraging raw foods to help with weight
            loss. There are a lot of unhealthy people in the world. Why eliminate
            an entire group among those people. I have hated hearing about gastric
            bypass surgery, when the patients likely have never heard about raw
            foods. I believe they have the right to learn about raw foods before
            committing to permanently re-sizing their stomachs. Anyway, for those
            who were seeking information on the surgery (and others), I created a
            web page to at least introduce them to the concept of raw foods:
            http://www.soystache.com/naturalweightlossdiet.htm

            Jeff
          • Ildiko Panczel McDonald
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 27, 2005

              Annette,

              how long you been raw foodist?

              ... I do not like your approach to the raw food "diet".  These is not a diet this is a lifestyle!!!....please do not advertise it as a new weight loss program, it is wrong...misleading... you can't do it over night!!!! you have to prepare people for it, ... you have to teach them that what really is...it is hard if you are not prepared to continue on for life time...it looks like you are new to it and you just got to the point where you lost weight ...you have to wait and see...if you get of from it even a little you ->gain weight back plus your body will tell you if you eat wrong again- it can make you "sick" (this is how normal people characterize it "sick"- >for us it is a warning that the body does not like the bad chose, by knowing about the good one!!!) ... and the consequence it will be that this life style it will be labeled as a wrong "diet"...anybody whom wants to get of on it has to know the commitment ...and even then you slip and slide ... I been 4 years on it and I know some of the backfires...please prepare your "camp" people that this is not a jock, it is not a "simple diet"...please...please do not trough mud on this lifestyle!!!!

[...]

              DonorsChoose.org helps at-risk students succeed. Fund a student project today!
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/t7dfYD/FpQLAA/E2hLAA/6iHolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Ildiko Panczel McDonald
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 27, 2005

                ...how much knowledge she has on the subject other then lost some weight? ... don't promise or offer help if you can't make it happen yourself!!! ...most of us have the same issues obese or non obese ...  something or some information it is missing on how to get there .....and stay there!!! ...some people, are accepting it or not, can't stay there with out sacrifice or total support from your surrounding  ...it is hard to go into any grocery store with out getting distracted by "organic cookies" does it make any difference" ?"that it is organic or not..? nooooo!!!.

                ...I believe all of us making a mistake: I am not going to the pot-locks  not just because I don't have to much time+ , but because we take dishes there as "raw" dishes...think about it: those are mostly processed in some form...we need to grow out from processing: it it was good to learn , but we should go to the next level...or maybe I am wrong ...maybe all of you are comfortable on that level where we at now and you want to get more people involved in it  and that it is beautiful, but I am ready to look in to the whole thing...to grow...

                ..and ....I think I saw the real light ...I am heading there and in a couple of months I will go through it and then I can share my experience not until then...what if  I am wrong again?! so give me some time and I will have an answer...Raw living foodist should be all about the simplest food with out any additives :salt, herbs, etc.....it should be simple no more then one or two ingredients with out changing their taste and live them in their real form :not dehydrated, blended, etc....then our body should be able to tell what it really needs...if you can't eat a fresh juicy pepper alone then you should not eat it  at all because your body does not need it...everybody gets of on this and takes all of us down on the wrong path just as David Wolfe does...too sad that he just talks to the beginners not to us... he is heading us in the wrong way ...too sad...

                I was expecting a response such as yours, Marcus.

                We knew the raw community wouldn't like raw being promoted as a diet.
                Raw folks will support people going raw to cure disease, but for
                dieting they take offense. Our view is that obesity is a disease, so
                what's the difference?

                In the beginning, we also went back and forth about whether there
                should be a charge to be a member of the boot camp. Knowing that
                oftentimes people are more committed when they have to pay, we decided
                on a nominal charge. The boot camp fees are considerably lower than
                those charged by a number of the raw food coaches (not to mention the
                price of raw retreats).

                In the end, whether the boot camp makes it or not relies on the people
                who join and how badly they want to succeed. If ardent raw folks want
                to convince us we are unworthy of this miracle, then shame on the raw
                folks. Nothing you say will deter Carlene from helping other people.
                She believes raw can cure obesity and her goal in life is to help the
                obese, not support the elitism of raw foodists.

                I have been going back and forth between raw and cooked for over five
                years, maintaining raw for two months at a time and then falling head
                first into a pizza or such. If I am able to finally be successful at
                losing weight rather than the yo-yo syndrome I'm used to by making a
                commitment to someone who is willing to support me, give me homework
                assignments, feedback, etc., then pay I will.

                I am a firm believer in eating raw as a long-term, forever lifestyle,
                and yet I haven't been able to do it yet. As an obese person, I have
                issues and frustrations that you can only begin to guess at if you've
                never been seriously overweight. I applaud Carlene and her willingness
                and effort to be our drill sergeant and lead us to health.

                Annette

                --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, Marcus <sdelic@s...> wrote:

                > For only $25 bucks a month after your first month! Wow, this lady
                > started eating raw back in May and 6 months later is toting the new
                > weight loss revolution with a pay for play website!

                DonorsChoose.org helps at-risk students succeed. Fund a student project today!
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/t7dfYD/FpQLAA/E2hLAA/6iHolB/TM

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Joy King
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 28, 2005
                  I am not understanding this negativity at all...I mean, if this boot camp gets 10 people to eat an extra apple a day & hear the words 'raw food', it is a good thing!  So, maybe everyone should back up, open their minds, and see that even a small step for someone towards raw is a good thing - it doesn't matter if they don't go 100%, it is about bringing awareness of this wonderful opportunity (raw lifestyle) to people.  Who cares if you use the word 'diet' - we all know that if we start throwing 'raw lingo' out into the public we get a lot of rolled eyes or blank stares...so, if it means altering our vocabulary to be heard, then I don't see any issues with it.  I think we all have to remember where we were 6 months ago, 1 year ago, 5 years ago, etc...what would have peaked our interest??

                  I just don't see how this can be a bad thing - yes, going raw is difficult but getting the initial awareness is the most important step.  We all came about this lifestyle from many different angles...the goal should be to support everyone no matter how they got here...maybe I am missing something...

                  Good luck, Annette!
                  Joy

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 28, 2005

                    Prism, and all of you whom I did offend,

                    I did a mistake by not reading all the facts, and just attaching the massager, I don't even know how i can regain a little trust, but i will be happy just by you all hearing me out...

                    I did apologized to Annette, but I do know that what it is done it is been done...

                    ...look at my point of view: I started studying for Naturopathy in IL and by moving here I taught that i move in perfect place by seeing so many Naturopaths...and by trying to connect to them> I realized that we might getting somehow to the point where Naturopathy once centuries ago failed because of the allopathy...lots of allopath thinker Naturopaths are out there...so we go to them with trust and we will feel betraid that Naturopaths are as bad as Dr.'s...so by seeing wrong people try to use a tool that they not familiar with will destroy our chances to really gain soil, ground...and really help...well I been wrong that not giving a chance to understand that some people can comprimize and stay on their level of understanding...

                    ...and myself are on the level where I feel, if we are not doing it right then we are not to much out from the waters...but as some expressions say slow water makes better tracks then waters as myself (turbulant) by not giving credit to whom it try to help people in need, I am whom after 4 years standing still or moving slowly and failing at times, I need to get to my main entrance of my journey my understanding...how I can be clean from all the madness that it surrounds us...I feel like I have a heavy weight on my heart that pooling me down...

                    please all of you try to forgive me by letting my pain out in the wrong direction...I am fighting my surroundings, my family, my friends for understanding...i seen to many closed doors...maybe because i don't know how to bring something to the table to present it...that is my weakness? I don't know...I been attack for being raw so many times and now , here I am attacking YOU...

                    I wish you all the best raw new Year ever! and I wish you too"...wish you the happiness that never been touched by sarow..." it is a close quote of a clean persons letter to me, whom it might be the key for my peace of mind...thanx for hearing me out once more...ildi

                    I will be silent as I been before...untill I fined the right door...i don't have anything to give, I fail some how as most of us do...

                    From: "Annette" <cloudriver@...>
                    Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:59:01 -0000
                    To: RawPortland@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: [RawPortland] Re: Are You Morbidly Obese and
                    Willing to Commit to 100% Raw?

                    --------------------~-->
                    DonorsChoose.org helps at-risk students succeed. Fund
                    a student project today!
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/t7dfYD/FpQLAA/E2hLAA/6iHolB/TM

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Terms of Service.

                    ---------------------------------

                    Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                    dsl.yahoo.com

                  • Marcus
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 28, 2005
                      Annette wrote:

                      >I was expecting a response such as yours, Marcus.
                      >
                      >We knew the raw community wouldn't like raw being promoted as a diet.
                      >Raw folks will support people going raw to cure disease, but for
                      >dieting they take offense. Our view is that obesity is a disease, so
                      >what's the difference?

                      Annette, I can't speak for the entire raw community. However, I too have
                      struggled with weight since my 20's and at times have been at an obese
                      weight. This wasn't due to me having a disease that I was unable to
                      cure, it was simply due to me starving my body from what it was needing.
                      The SAD that we all grow up on simply starves our body from what it
                      needs. When we start to eat raw, we give our body what it was intended
                      to have in the first place, and as a result we become more healthy and
                      of course weight loss is part of the results. I think when you try and
                      put raw food in the traditional diet context as you are doing your not
                      only making things harder on yourself because your having to "stick" to
                      something your totally forcing your body to do something it might not be
                      ready to do. When you force something to happen your going against your
                      nature, your bodys nature, and in the end your simply setting yourself
                      up for a failure that doesn't need to exist in the first place. You
                      shouldn't have to create a wagon that you could "fall off of". When it's
                      time to be 100% you will be 100%. Also by forcing your body to go 100%
                      raw without a transition can cause health issues from the detox that
                      happens when you stop eating cooked food. You don't have to treat raw
                      food as a diet, it doesn't have to be that hard. Diets are always hard
                      to stick too, they create "wagons" that you have to stay on for the ride
                      to get the results. Simply eating good food and listening to your body
                      will give you the same results and you don't have to worry about
                      sticking to a plan or riding the wagon down the road. Break the cycle!

                      >In the beginning, we also went back and forth about whether there
                      >should be a charge to be a member of the boot camp. Knowing that
                      >oftentimes people are more committed when they have to pay, we decided
                      >on a nominal charge. The boot camp fees are considerably lower than
                      >those charged by a number of the raw food coaches (not to mention the
                      >price of raw retreats).

                      Most raw food authors in the community aren't out to make a buck,
                      they're goal is to spread the word, to get the information out there, to
                      make it free, to offer support. Email lists like this offer support, and
                      they're free. The books can be obtained from the libraries for free, you
                      can email people in the raw food community for free, you can attend
                      potlucks for free, join email lists for free, get raw food recipies for
                      free,etc. The leading raw food experts are usually available via email
                      for free to answer any questions you can't find in their books. People
                      pay $$$ to join health clubs all the time that they end up never using
                      and going to waste. Give people the tools they need to succeed and they
                      will and you don't have to pay through the nose!

                      In addition to the Boot Camp Fee of $25 you have: (Help comes with a
                      hefty price from this lady)

                      Daily email support: $25/week $80/month

                      Phone Support: $50 for one 30-45 minute call $125 for three 30-45 minute
                      calls

                      With prices like that someone trying to go raw and needs ALOT of one on
                      one support they could end up going broke real fast!

                      Heck you can email me and anyone else on this list for free anytime and
                      if you want to talk about raw food feel free to ask me for my phone #,
                      I'll only require you to laugh!

                      I find charging people $$$ for the knowledge that I learned and obtained
                      free of charge counterproductive to not only our entire community but
                      also in reaching those people who really need help but think that
                      there's no free workable options out there for them.

                      >In the end, whether the boot camp makes it or not relies on the people
                      >who join and how badly they want to succeed. If ardent raw folks want
                      >to convince us we are unworthy of this miracle, then shame on the raw
                      >folks. Nothing you say will deter Carlene from helping other people.
                      >She believes raw can cure obesity and her goal in life is to help the
                      >obese, not support the elitism of raw foodists.

                      Hey now, I think everyone should eat raw food! Nobody is unworthy.
                      However, what she has "discovered" for herself isn't a miracle. She
                      simply decided to start giving her body what it really needed. From
                      reading her website however, I think she's missing the whole spirit of
                      raw food which is she's forcing upon our body raw foods like a weight
                      loss program. This isn't necessary. If you simply listen to your body
                      and give it what it needs. the weight will come off and you will become
                      more healthy. There are some raw foodists who do take an elite stance
                      but this isn't the majority of the community as a whole IMO. I hope she
                      helps as many people as she can however, help doesn't have to come with
                      such a huge price tag.

                      >I have been going back and forth between raw and cooked for over five
                      >years, maintaining raw for two months at a time and then falling head
                      >first into a pizza or such. If I am able to finally be successful at
                      >losing weight rather than the yo-yo syndrome I'm used to by making a
                      >commitment to someone who is willing to support me, give me homework
                      >assignments, feedback, etc., then pay I will.

                      I lost 65 pounds in less than 6 months into eating 80% raw with very
                      mild exercise. See your looking at it as your either "on" or "off" your
                      either 100% or nothing at all. It doesn't have to be that way. I
                      maintain 80-95% raw right now, I am not ready to go 100% but I try and
                      be "mostly raw". This doesn't have to be like Alcoholics Anonymous where
                      if you eat something cooked you relapse and fall off the wagon. Toss
                      that wagon out the back door and listen to your body and give it what it
                      needs and if you eat cooked food so what? As long as you aspire to be
                      100% raw someday nature will take care of itself and the weight will
                      come off. There is a wealth of support out there to aid you in becoming
                      100% raw and healthy, if you want to pay $$$ to someone who's been raw
                      for less than a year go for it. However, I would recommend taking your
                      monthly $25 and buying some books, uncooking equipment and raw food
                      classes and support those who have many years of experience a have done
                      extensive research in this way of life. Learn from those who have been
                      doing this way of life for YEARS and DECADES, that will serve you well
                      in your long term goals. Taking the $80 bucks you'd spend on email
                      support and buy the best organics you can and save up for one of the raw
                      food retreats where you can mingle and learn for those who have been
                      doing this for many years. You can get your homework, feedback, and
                      support for free from people like me on this and other email lists all
                      over the net without spending a dime. People in this community are
                      accessable and they don't charge cash for a simple question or support.

                      >I am a firm believer in eating raw as a long-term, forever lifestyle,
                      >and yet I haven't been able to do it yet. As an obese person, I have
                      >issues and frustrations that you can only begin to guess at if you've
                      >never been seriously overweight. I applaud Carlene and her willingness
                      >and effort to be our drill sergeant and lead us to health.
                      >
                      >Annette

                      There's plenty of us who believe the same thing and aren't 100% nor are
                      we forcing ourselves to be 100% and stick to a strict drill instructor
                      type of routine. I have shared in you frustrations with being overweight
                      as I have been there. However, when I discovered raw food one of the
                      greatest things I loved about it was it simply was not a diet, I didn't
                      have to approach it as a diet. I had been on many diets and always
                      failed. When you follow a diet your following something that is external
                      to yourself. You put yourself in a context that is foreign to your
                      natural existance. You create and put yourself on a "wagon". It doesn't
                      have to be that hard, it isn't that hard. Let that diet way of thinking
                      go, toss that wagon out the door and start listening to your inner
                      nature, you have the power within yourself to find your own direction to
                      success!

                      In the end this is my opinion and my opinions alone, I do not speak for
                      the raw food community as a whole.
                    • Annette
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 29, 2005
                        Greetings All ~

                        I responded to both Marcus and Ildiko offline (though they brought the
                        email volley back to the group). My last comments are:

                        The boot camp is for people who are desperate and want to finally lose
                        the weight. (I personally have been unsuccessful in five years of
                        eating raw.) We are not interested in defending the boot camp to raw
                        fooders who think we need to eat lots of fat to stay healthy. Raw Food
                        Boot Camp is about obesity, raw is just a mechanism to defeat it. It
                        is not our intent to defame the raw lifestyle by helping the obese
                        lose weight. The obese are who we care about.

                        I suggest you sign up for the newsletter and in six months decide
                        whether our efforts have value or not.

                        Happy New Year to all!

                        Annette
                      • Celeste Crimi
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 29, 2005
                          Hear, hear!

                          I must say that I have found the disheartening emails from these past days to be very unwelcoming.

                          I think if I were new to raw foods, I'd probably choose to pay to go to Carlene's boot camp, rather than get the free advice that we've been bombarded with since Annette made the innocent mistake of trying to open our awareness to a new opportunity.

                          Let's make a New Year Resolution to be loving and peaceful...and gentle with others!

                          Celeste in Beaverton

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 29, 2005
                            I wasn't expecting such sparks to fly with my response to the original
                            post. It's healthy to shake things up sometimes with a difference of
                            opinion after all this is a forum for discussion. I wish everyone a
                            better 2006 and hope everyone continues to meet their personal goals for
                            better health and overall well being!

                            Marcus