Re: [RawPortland] The Mad Cowboy in Portland

  • Celeste Crimi
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2005
      Thanks for bringing this presentation to the attention of the group, Mike.  Richard and I are definitely planning on attending.  Have y'all seen Peaceable Kingdom with Howard Lyman as one of the interviewees?  That's a great video!

      Anyway, yeah let's meet at BL beforehand.  They're open 'til 7 now, so should we say 6pm?

      We're taking public transit so will either walk from BL to the church, or catch a ride with someone who's driving from one to the other.

      Thanks again, Mike!
      Celeste
      From: NWVEG <nwveg@...>

      http://www.nwveg.org/
      http://www.madcowboy.com

      Sept. 27 (Tuesday), 7:00 pm —

      Howard Lyman Visits Portland to Preview
      "Mad Cowboy, The Documentary"

      (see other Oregon dates below — and please
      forward info to your friends and family in
      those areas)

      Howard Lyman, author of "Mad Cowboy: Plain
      Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat
      Meat", will show a 36-minute preview of his
      new documentary film and speak at:

      the First Congregational Church,
      1126 SW Park Ave., Portland.

      A donation of $5 at the door will be requested,
      although no one will be turned away for lack of
      funds. Due to limited seating, we encourage you
      to arrive early. Doors open at 6:30 pm. Vegan
      cookies will be served, compliments of Nature
      Bake — while supplies last!

      Mad Cowboy is a must-see film for anyone who cares
      about food safety and sustainable agricultural
      practices in our country and throughout the world.

      Most people know Lyman from his appearance on the
      Oprah Winfrey Show in 1996 when he discussed Mad
      Cow Disease, revealing that the meat from some
      cows was being fed to other cows.

      Winfrey announced on the show that she would not
      eat another burger.

      Mad Cowboy illustrates how Lyman, a 4th generation
      rancher/farmer, became one of the world's most
      widely traveled activists promoting a vegetarian
      diet. Lyman discusses the history of U.S. animal
      practices concerning mad cow disease, and explains
      why he and Winfrey were sued by a group of Texas
      cattlemen.

      Lyman also has a new book, No More Bull!, in which
      he targets America's worst enemy: our diet. With
      an update on mad cow disease, an eye-opening discussion
      of the link between Alzheimer's and meat consumption,
      and a raucous dissection of the folly of high-protein
      diets, No More Bull! makes the case for a plant-based
      diet, clearly and powerfully.

      Featuring more than 100 vegan recipes from friends
      of Lyman, noted cookbook authors, award-winning
      chefs — and easy-to-follow tips for those transitioning
      to a vegan or plant-based diet — No More Bull! could be
      the book that changes your life, or the life of someone
      you love.

      The DVD of Mad Cowboy: The Documentary and No More Bull!
      will be available for purchase. For more about Howard Lyman,
      check out

      http://www.madcowboy.com

      ------------------

      For more information about the following events, please
      contact madcowboyoregon@...

      Monday, September 26 - "HOWARD LYMAN - MAD COWBOY"
      Lecture, DVD preview, Q & A session, Booksigning

      7 pm — Multnomah Art Center, 7688 SW Capitol Hwy., Portland
      (Sliding scale donation $5-$8 at the door is requested)

      Wednesday, September 28 - "HOWARD LYMAN - MAD COWBOY"
      Lecture, DVD preview, Q & A session, Booksigning

      7 pm — Construction and Engineering Hall, LaSells Stewart Center;
      Oregon State University, 100 LaSells Stewart Center, Corvallis

      (Sliding scale donation of $5-$8 at the door is requested)

      Thursday, September 29 - "HOWARD LYMAN - MAD COWBOY"
      Lecture, DVD preview, Q & A session, Booksigning
      7 pm — Lane Community College, Center for Media and Learning, 4000
      East 30th Ave., Building 19, Room 102, Eugene

      (Sliding scale donation of $5-$8 at the door is requested)

      Friday, September 30 - "HOWARD LYMAN - MAD COWBOY"
      Book Signing Only

      3:30 - 4:30 pm — Rogue Valley Metaphysical Library, 258 A St., #2A,
      Ashland (Free event)

      Friday, September 30 - "HOWARD LYMAN - MAD COWBOY"

      Lecture, DVD preview, Q & A session, Booksigning

      7 pm — Bellview Grange, 1050 Tolman Creek Road, Ashland

      (Sliding scale donation of $5-$8 at the door is requested)

      (NOTE: This event carries suggested donations but no one will be
      turned away due to lack of funds.)

      Please arrive promptly. Doors will open 15 minutes prior to the event.