Re: [RawPortland] Digest Number 365

  • alan mikoleit
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2005
      1. Yay, Alan!
      From: "Celeste Crimi" <rcrimi14@...

      Welp, it worked:

      Tuesday I got out the $20 kraut-maker I got from Alan
      (alan.mikoleit@...) and started my very first batch of homemade
      sauerkraut.

      As I mentioned, it was for an Oktoberfest charity fundraiser, so this was
      going to be for 'general consumption'--it had to be tasty!

      Alan's instructions said in 4 days it would be ready, and sure 'nuff, the
      jar started obligingly oozing brine almost immediately.

      By late Thursday it definitely had that delicious sauerkraut odor, and
      sometime Friday it turned that yellow, translucent color of 'real' kraut.

      I took it to the event and it was the hit--neither my sweet mustard salad
      dressing, nor the donated vegan bratwurst, nor even the Widmer beer got as
      many compliments! I didn't even 'go there' and mention that it was raw.
      They had a hard enough time believing it was only salt and cabbage; no
      vinegar, no spices.

      So, thanks Alan, and I'm excited to try more veggies--one old-timer said
      they used to put whole apples in with the 'kraut batch and that they turned
      so delicous...I want to try my hand at some of those spicy pickled carrots
      available at Mexican Taquerias...

      Celeste in Beaverton

      Celeste

      Yep, that's what happens when this kraut goes public. Andy in Fl said this
      kraut would have easily won the Hipocrates Kraut making contest. I have
      heard about the apples too and raisins. Now that I'm off of phase 1 I need
      to make more kraut. I recently saw the nutritional difference of green and
      red cabbage which lead me to the idea of making 1 batch each of red and
      green from now on. Hey Celeste try onions they come out sooooo sweet. Onions
      and kraut are a good blend. But don't pickle them together. I haven't done
      beets yet, let me know if you do.

      Alan
    • chai_mama@juno.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 26, 2005

        Celeste~

        Why does one need a kraut maker when kraut/kimchee are pretty easy to make in just about anything?

        What does this kraut maker have that is so special?

        curious . . .

        Leslie