Yay, Alan!

  • Celeste Crimi
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2005
      Welp, it worked:

      Tuesday I got out the $20 kraut-maker I got from Alan (alan.mikoleit@...) and started my very first batch of homemade sauerkraut.

      As I mentioned, it was for an Oktoberfest charity fundraiser, so this was going to be for 'general consumption'--it had to be tasty!

      Alan's instructions said in 4 days it would be ready, and sure 'nuff, the jar started obligingly oozing brine almost immediately.

      By late Thursday it definitely had that delicious sauerkraut odor, and sometime Friday it turned that yellow, translucent color of 'real' kraut.

      I took it to the event and it was the hit--neither my sweet mustard salad dressing, nor the donated vegan bratwurst, nor even the Widmer beer got as many compliments!  I didn't even 'go there' and mention that it was raw.  They had a hard enough time believing it was only salt and cabbage; no vinegar, no spices.

      So, thanks Alan, and I'm excited to try more veggies--one old-timer said they used to put whole apples in with the 'kraut batch and that they turned so delicous...I want to try my hand at some of those spicy pickled carrots available at Mexican Taquerias...

      Celeste in Beaverton