Re: newbie sauerkraut question

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2005
      > --- Celeste wrote:
      > Dear Friends,
      >
      > I started my first batch of homemade
      > sauerkraut night before last. It's
      > still green, though. When does it
      > change to more brown/beige?

      Hi Celeste,

      The length of time it takes depends on the
      recipe you use. I use the recipe in "Rainbow
      Green Live Food Cuisine". They recommend
      adding South River Miso to the kraut.
      available at People's or Food Front Co-Op).

      I add probiotics to the mixture. I think
      traditional sauerkraut takes 2 weeks. By
      adding miso and/or probiotics, it only
      takes 3 to 5 days.

      I prefer the Natural Choice probiotics->

      http://www.1inhealth.com/products/probiotic.htm

      Alan may have a different recipe, I haven't
      tried his method using jars. You may want to
      call him for advice.

      The text below is quoted from "The Lovers Diet"
      by Victoras Kulvinskas, page 163

      Acidophilus, Bifidus, and Probiotics:
      Internal Enzyme Factories

      Over 25 years ago at the Hippocrates Health Institute
      I pioneered the fermentation process.

      I not only based it on totally non-animal milks but
      also found ways to accelerate the fermentation.

      In the past, to get successful results, one had to
      add salt and ferment the cabbage for weeks.

      With my system, the kraut are ready in 2 to 3 days,
      and salt is unnecessary.

      By starting a batch of the following recipes with
      1 teaspoon of pro-biotics (friendly bacteria), you
      will be giving your intestinal bacteria a major boost.

      In a matter of 1 hour, 1 bacteria becomes two, within
      another hour it becomes 4.

      If this is allowed to keep on for 8 hours, the total
      bacteria count in a preparation increases by 256 times.

      Remember though, that the fermentation process produces
      a high lactic acid content, so you do not want to over-use
      fermented foods in your meal plan. Experiment with a few
      tablespoons or more; find out what works.

      Because of the acid component, the ferments are NEVER to
      be combined in the same meal with starchy foods such as
      bread, rice, and other grains, root vegetables, ect.

      Although sunflower seeds (which I find the most delicious
      of the lot) are most often used for cheese or yogurt, you
      could just as well use almonds or a mix of sesame with
      sunflower (comes out quite sharp), pumpkin, cashew, tofu, ect."

      info on Viktoras-
      http://www.geocities.com/viktoraslive/books.htm
      http://www.rawfood.com/kulvinskas.html

      vegan cheese recipe-