fresh figs?

  • chai_mama@juno.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 18, 2005

      i would like to get my hands on some fresh figs, but do not want to pay $5 at New Seasons (for a teeny-weeny amount!)

      anyone know where I can buy larger amounts/cheaper?

      thanks & blessings!

      Leslie

    • Walker Traylor
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2005
        You might try hunting!...

          I attended our raw food potluck in Raleigh, NC this past Sunday while visiting, and someone brought a plate of nice figs and a cream sauce.  I asked where she got them, and she said she found plenty of fig trees around her neighborhood.   Of course I got inspired and with a friend, drove around our neighborhood looking for fig trees.  We found the motherload in about ten minutes.  There were two trees, burgeoning with figs.  One Turkish and one Calimyrna.  The sweet old lady granted us permission and even gave us a bag.  We came home with pounds of figs so fresh and soft some were squishing under their own weight.  It gets no better than this...mmm..

        We also found an overloaded pear tree, and suspect there is more fruit around the area than people can eat.  Both tree owners were happy to share, glad that someone could use them.  If I were around to do it again I'd give the pear lady some figs and the fig lady some pears for their contribution....;)

        Good luck!

        Walker

        On Aug 18, 2005, at 4:11 PM, chai_mama@... wrote:

        i would like to get my hands on some fresh figs, but do not want to pay $5 at New Seasons (for a teeny-weeny amount!)

        anyone know where I can buy larger amounts/cheaper?

        thanks & blessings!

        Leslie

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Celeste Crimi
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 18, 2005
          Hear, hear!  SE Portland seems to be especially 'ripe' with fig giveaways.

          Of course, to give us frequent freeloaders a good name, please everyone do ask permission, as Walker mentioned...I've NEVER been turned  down (and sometimes I was even wearing clothes)!  Just kidding....  :)

          Celeste in Beaverton

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 19, 2005
            Okay, I'm not trying to be mysterious, I swear. It's just hard to describe
            how many fig trees there are and where they are exactly.

            Okay, here's one I can think of : You know where the New Seasons is at on
            20th and Division? Well, There are at least 2 fig trees on that block. One
            is on the side of the block that runs along Division (North side of
            Division). It's in the center of a gravel turnaround. That tree makes
            Turkish Browns, and doesn't happen to be my favorite variety.

            There is another on that block, at least if I remember right it's that
            block, it might be 18th st instead. It's on the West side of the st, in a
            fenced yard. actually, there are a couple of trees in that yard. These
            figs are very good. Like jam.

            There are countless others and I believe that once you see one, your eyes
            will be opened to find them. Perhaps that sounds kooky, but after I had
            been 100% raw for about 2 yrs, I suddenly felt like the, 'Follow your nose,'
            Toucan on the Fruit Loops commercials. I mean, I couldn't smell them, but I
            just sort of got this sixth sense. It was almost like I developed the
            ability to communicate with the trees, or pick up their signals, or
            whatever. If I took a step in the wrong direction, I would feel the 'trail'
            go cold. If I stepped back toward the fruit I hadn't found yet, I knew I
            was on the right path because I could feel it, without a doubt.

            I'd walk down the same streets that I'd walked a hundred times, and this
            time there was a mature fig tree, or a grape vine with huge clumps of unused
            grapes, or apples, or plums, or persimmons...everywhere I'd look,
            practically! Now, I know those plants didn't just appear, so it was just
            that I finally noticed them.

            When selecting the figs that are ready to eat, here are some tips (thanks to
            my friend Clint for showing me how to push the envelope--at first I thought
            the green figs were the ones to pick):

            ants and birds are attracted to ripe fruit. flies are attracted to overripe
            fruit. nothing is attracted to green fruit. If you see little, triangular
            chunks taken out of the figs--it's good! A bird knew that fig was good
            enough to take a bite--birds have a MUCH better sense of smell than we do.
            You can trust them. If you see an ant crawling in the 'navel' at the plump
            bottom of the fig, or crawling on a fig at all--get that fig! However, a
            word of caution about that: Sometimes there can be a few more ants inside.
            Occasionally, they will have sucked the juice out of the insides, leaving a
            dry fig. Just break it in half with your fingers and you will discover if
            it's good to eat. Ants can be gently blown away. They'll find another fig.

            Also, weigh the fig in your hands. Heavy is good. Light is green, or had
            all the juice sucked out by hungry ants.

            Use your nose: beware of figs that smell fermented--overripe.

            For white/green varieties, look for the skin to almost translucent, and
            thin. Those are the ones that have a thick and heavy jam inside.

            Just slightly wrinkled skin, especially around the narrow top that attaches
            to the tree, is a good sign. Thick, white, styro-foamy skin is green.

            If the fig falls off the tree when you barely touch it--eat it! It really
            wants you to. If you have to pull it off the tree, that's because it wasn't
            ready. Willing fruit tastes better, is more easily digested and is more
            nourishing.

            For thick-skinned varieties that can survive the fall intact, I like to pick
            figs off the ground. Especially if they've dried a bit and their sugars are
            concentrated. Candy! Check the underside first, in case there's mold where
            the fig's been sitting on the ground. Very unlikely in this dry weather.

            Some people get a mild skin reaction, usually around their mouth, from
            eating the skins of figs. I have only noticed this if I've been greedy and
            have eaten figs when they're not willing! Now I always leave not only the
            unripe figs, but some ripe ones, as well. For the next hungry soul. But,
            those who experience this even when eating very ripe figs can just split the
            skin with their fingers, turn each half slightly inside out (like a mango)
            and eat only the insides.

            My friend Simon told me once that he purees figs in the food processor and
            then eats them with a spoon. Now, that's decadence! :)

            Betty, I hope that helps!
            Celeste in Beaverton

            > I've never eaten a fig except in a cookie. I live in
            > S.E. Portland, grew up in Portland..and where do you
            > find fresh figs? I'd love to try a couple.
            >
            > Love,
            > Prism
            >

            > --- Celeste Crimi <rcrimi14@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hear, hear! SE Portland seems to be especially
            >> 'ripe' with fig giveaways.
            >>
            >> Of course, to give us frequent freeloaders a good
            >> name, please everyone do ask permission, as Walker
            >> mentioned...I've NEVER been turned down (and
            >> sometimes I was even wearing clothes)! Just
            >> kidding.... :)
            >>
            >> Celeste in Beaverton

          • Walker Traylor
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
              Hi Celeste (CC: other interested Fig Finders)

                I'm quite behind on email, but after looking at some gorgeous plump purple beauties in People's today, I know the fig walk is still on.

              How's Sunday?  We'll meet at a time and place point of your choosing, since you have some ideas about where to start.  If that won't work, name some time next week and let's do it.

              Be well,
              Walker

              On Aug 18, 2005, at 7:12 PM, Celeste Crimi wrote:

[...]

              VegetarianVegetarian dietVegetarian recipes

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
                I'm getting this late, but Sunday, tomorrow, in the outside seating area at the New Seasons at 20th & Division, at 1:30 p.m. would be good for me...any takers?

                I'll show up if I hear by 12:30 p.m. tomorrow that at least one other person besides myself can make it.  I'd be happy to at least show where some of the figs I know of can be had.

                Fig out, dude!  :)

                Celeste in Beaverton