Re: [RawPortland] sprouted rice recipes?

  • Walker Traylor
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
      Hi Dave,
        Gabriel Cousens makes mention in Rainbow Green, Live Food Cuisine that rice sprouting is actually simply the husks detaching.  He found that all rice he tested is heated at high temperatures such that it is unsproutable.  If you have found a source of genuinely sproutable rice, please share it!

      Walker

      On Aug 12, 2005, at 8:04 AM, pdxrawdave wrote:

      so, for about a year, since I've been doing raw stuff, I started
      sprouting rice.   Though I do realize that the importance of protein
      in one's diet is over stressed, I did this to get a complete protein
      (which i still kinda wanna do for various reason).

      anyway, saw awhile ago that no raw 'cookbooks' make any mention on
      sprouted rice recipes. does anyone know of any or have any general
      thoughts on sprouted rice?  lemme know!

      thanks!

      dave

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Celeste Crimi
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
        I very rarely get hungry for it, but any brown rice from the bulk section of a store that carries organic food, will sprout.  It likes warmth to sprout.  If it's been chilly outside, I've set the bowl (covered with a thick cloth or towel to block out light but allow air transfer) on top of the heating vents on the floor.  I'd soak for about 2 days, rinsing once or twice daily, and then sprout for a day or so until little sprouts form.  Long process!  :)

        Anyway, there's a recipe for rice pudding in Rhio's Hooked on Raw, which may be available at the library.  It's basically pureed, sprouted rice and seasonings, and it's pretty good.

        Celeste