sprouted rice recipes?

  • pdxrawdave
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
      so, for about a year, since I've been doing raw stuff, I started
      sprouting rice. Though I do realize that the importance of protein
      in one's diet is over stressed, I did this to get a complete protein
      (which i still kinda wanna do for various reason).

      anyway, saw awhile ago that no raw 'cookbooks' make any mention on
      sprouted rice recipes. does anyone know of any or have any general
      thoughts on sprouted rice? lemme know!

      thanks!

      dave
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
        Hi friends,

        Thanks for coming to my potluck on
        Wednesday, it was fun!

        Someone left a red nalgene water bottle.

        The next potluck is next Tuesday
        in NE Portland, I'll see you there!

        Walker wrote
        > Are the green smoothie recipes posted anywhere?

        Yes, the green smoothie article and
        the update by Victoria Boutenko are
        posted on these sites==>

        http://www.rawfamily.com/articles.html
        Ode to Green Smoothies

        http://archives.zinester.com/1819/50445.html
        3. A chapter from Victoria's up-coming
        book about greens: "Green Smoothie, An
        Easy Way to Love Greens"

        http://archives.zinester.com/1819/56382.html
        4. A chapter from Victoria's up-coming
        book "Green For Life": "Greens Make the
        Body More Alkaline."

        (NEW Book Green For Life is now available
        for pre-orders)

        Dave wrote
        > does anyone know of any or have any general
        > thoughts on sprouted rice?

        Hi Dave,

        In "Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine" it
        says that wild rice is not raw. When
        soaked it splits apart but it will not
        sprout. I've searched but I haven't been
        able to locate any raw rice.

        If you're looking for foods that will
        supply every essential amino acid
        (complete protein), the seeds are your
        best choice (sesame, pumpkin, flax,
        hemp, sunflower, etc.). They are easier
        to digest when soaked first.

        Here are a few foods that have between
        16 to 21 amino acid proteins.->

        Flax & hemp seeds, spirulina, chlorella,
        Klamath Lake blue-green algae, maca,
        bee pollen, nut or seed pate, leafy greens
        (especially when juiced or blended in
        smoothies), goji berries, raw hemp protein
        powder, sprouts, Pure Synergy &
        Vita-mineral Green, avocado, and many veggies.

        Here is a quote from Living Nutrition

        http://www.livingnutrition.com/cgi-local/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?
        id=Mike

        Avocados are bursting with nutrients--
        vitamins, A, B-complex, C, E, H, K, and
        folic acid, plus the minerals magnesium,
        copper, iron, calcium, potassium and many
        other trace elements.

        Avocados provide all of the essential
        amino acids (those that must be provided
        by our diet), with 18 amino acids in all,
        plus 7 fatty acids, including Omega 3 and 6.

        Avocados contain more protein than cow's
        milk, about 2% per edible portion. Since
        rapidly growing nursing infants obtain no
        more than 2% protein from mother's milk,
        we can safely assume that children and
        adults do not regularly require foods
        richer in protein than avocado.

        Our bodies recycle approximately 80% of
        our protein; cooked protein is denatured
        and largely unusable, thus our protein
        need is far lower than what is taught by
        conventional dietetics.

        A small avocado will provide more usable
        protein then a huge steak because cooked
        protein in meat is deranged and mostly
        unavailable to our liver, the organ which
        makes all of our body's protein.

        - From Living Nutrition Magazine vol. 11

        Mike
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
          Hello friends,

          I misunderstood Dave's question.

          He is looking for recipes for sprouted
          brown rice! I thought he was talking
          about wild rice.

          Here's a photo of sprouted brown rice=>

          http://www.rawfoodsupport.com/read.php?f=12&i=74403&t=66092

          Where can one purchase this brown rice,
          Dave? I'd like to try it out!

          I haven't seen any recipes for sprouted
          brown rice. Maybe you could add it to
          chili, nori rolls, vegetable soup, burritos,
          crackers, pate, pad thai, or falafel.

          Tell me more about this rice!

          Mike

          --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "pdxrawdave" <pdxrawdave@y...>
          wrote:
          > so, for about a year, since I've been doing raw stuff, I started
          > sprouting rice. Though I do realize that the importance of protein
          > in one's diet is over stressed, I did this to get a complete protein
          > (which i still kinda wanna do for various reason).
          >
          > anyway, saw awhile ago that no raw 'cookbooks' make any mention on
          > sprouted rice recipes. does anyone know of any or have any general
          > thoughts on sprouted rice? lemme know!
          >
          > thanks!
          >
          > dave
        • Walker Traylor
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
            Hi Dave,
              Gabriel Cousens makes mention in Rainbow Green, Live Food Cuisine that rice sprouting is actually simply the husks detaching.  He found that all rice he tested is heated at high temperatures such that it is unsproutable.  If you have found a source of genuinely sproutable rice, please share it!

            Walker

            On Aug 12, 2005, at 8:04 AM, pdxrawdave wrote:

            so, for about a year, since I've been doing raw stuff, I started
            sprouting rice.   Though I do realize that the importance of protein
            in one's diet is over stressed, I did this to get a complete protein
            (which i still kinda wanna do for various reason).

            anyway, saw awhile ago that no raw 'cookbooks' make any mention on
            sprouted rice recipes. does anyone know of any or have any general
            thoughts on sprouted rice?  lemme know!

            thanks!

            dave

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Celeste Crimi
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
              I very rarely get hungry for it, but any brown rice from the bulk section of a store that carries organic food, will sprout.  It likes warmth to sprout.  If it's been chilly outside, I've set the bowl (covered with a thick cloth or towel to block out light but allow air transfer) on top of the heating vents on the floor.  I'd soak for about 2 days, rinsing once or twice daily, and then sprout for a day or so until little sprouts form.  Long process!  :)

              Anyway, there's a recipe for rice pudding in Rhio's Hooked on Raw, which may be available at the library.  It's basically pureed, sprouted rice and seasonings, and it's pretty good.

              Celeste