Green Smoothies

  • Janna Blake-Allan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2005
      Below is an e-mail that I sent to another health-related group that I belong to.
      FYI>>>I have been vegetarian and living on whole unprocessed natural foods for 48 years (all of my life)...and vegan since 1995. Our whole family has been gradually eating more raw and living foods for the past 3 years. We always ate about 60% or more raw foods anyway (I was taught as a child that fresh raw fruits and vegetables...and sprouted nuts and seeds were the best way to eat our food).
      My mother and father owned health food stores in Southern California during the 1940s. Later, my father (after selling the stores)...he became a distributor of juice machines and the first ever alfalfa chlorophyll product (among other health products that were sold in health food stores). The chlorophyll was sold in liquid and powder (capsules)...and it was promoted as "Nature's Green Magic." The reason that the green product became such a success...was because it was great for people who didn't eat much greens. Of course, we know that the fresh raw greens are the best source of chlorophyll and other phyto-nutrients! My mother knew back then (the 1960s) how important eating dark greens were for our health. My sisters and I were required to drink a glass of fresh carrot juice and greens every day after school (I couldn't eat dinner until I drank the juice). Then, I had to eat my salad of dark greens and other fresh veggies first...before I could eat the rest of my dinner.
      The two most important health recipes that I have incorporated into my daily life are...Lou's Lemon Ginger Blast...and...Victoria's Green Smoothies! I know that if people who are on the SAD (Standard American Diet) would just drink these two things every day (even if they don't change their diet much)...they would see major improvement in their health!
      Take Care!  Janna (in Vancouver, Washington)

      Lately, over the past three months...I have been drinking "Green Smoothies." They are...as far as I am concerned...one of the most important changes in my lifestyle that I have made...ever! They are cleansing AND building! And they are quick, easy and inexpensive to make!

      All you need is a blender to make them. Just take about 2 or 3 cups of fresh or frozen fruit, 1 or 2 cups of water and 1 to 2 cups of greens (loosely packed). I just take a couple of handfuls. Then blend until smooth.

      Some favorite recipes:

      In blender...

      2 or more bananas
      1/2 package of frozen mangos (or a fresh mango)
      1 or 2 cups water
      1/2 bunch of parsley

      2 or more bananas
      1/2 package of frozen pineapple (or 1 cup of fresh)
      1/2 package of frozen mango (one fresh)
      1 or 2 cups of water
      1 or 2 cups of spinach

      2 or more bananas
      1/2 package of berries
      parsley or spinach or celery

      4 peeled oranges (leave as much of the white part of the peel as possible)
      (or 2 oranges and 1/2 package of frozen pineapple)
      1/2 bunch of cilantro
      enough water to get the blender started

      I like to drink these every day. They are refreshing (not too sweet) and filling (satisfying).

      Enjoy!  Janna