Fw: bulk produce/potluck question

  • A BELL
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2005
      Hello Raw portland!

      When/where is the next raw potluck?

      Also, does anyone order food in bulk, such as boxes of dates or dulse, or macademia nuts, in the wintertime here in portland?  Sometimes it's nice to order bulk items together.  We could even do boxes of frozen durian, although I've had my share of the perfectly ripe fresh ones in hawaii so I'm not really into frozen ones anymore!  I'm actually mostly interested in trying to order flats of figs - maybe thru New Seasons? during the Aug/Sep fig season.  Unless there's a place to pick them in the wild or at a farm locally.  Or, we could split 25 lbs of carrots, or something like that.

      Also, is anyone into pick-your-own blueberries, can you recommend a good farm to load up before the season ends?  Weekend field trips to farms to harvest vegetables and fruits might be a fun thing to do...

      Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the hot sunny weather.   thanks!

      Alison Bell

    • Celeste Crimi
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2005
        Dear Alison Bell,

        What a pretty name you have!  I know I'm off on a slight tangent, but it seems to me that an individual's names bring certain ideas to that person's consciousness.  For example, I'm wondering if having the last name, 'Bell' causes you to think more musically, or if phrases such as, "Clear as a bell," hold special meaning for you?  Do you find yourself fulfilling the promise of your name?

        But anyway, to answer your question; Potlucks are posted at www.rawportland.org.  The specific link to Events is http://www.rawportland.org/index.php?option=com_events&Itemid=34.

        Many of us do order in bulk, no matter the time of year.  What others have done in the past is announce on this forum that they're hoping to buy a case of xyz, and ask for promises of buy-in, announce price per share, etc.  Others just let the rest of us know post-facto that they've ordered such and such and that it'll be available at the next potluck for $xyz dollars, etc.  Items that 'we've' ordered as a community include cacao and coconut oil.

        For dates, do you know about The Date People?  They dropped their certification due to cost, but they grow dates veganically in CA, their dates are incredible and fairly reasonable, my favorites are the honeys, their contact info is:

        PO Box 808. Niland, CA 92257. Phone: 760.359.3211

        About figs:  No need to order.  As many as you could eat, and all different varieties, are available from people's yards all over this town, especially in SE Portland.  I always ask permission before taking fruit from someone's property, and have yet to be told, "No."  Many people have figs from their trees just falling on the ground and rotting.  They're happy to share, for free.  There are also grapes, persimmons, plums and much more, just for the asking.

        Blueberries:  I like Nature's Fountain, a local, organic farmer.  I know he's at the Beaverton Farmers Market every Saturday, he's probably at others, as well.  During peak season, which is now, flats are less than $30 and the berries are exquisite.  I eat about 2 flats a week, they comprise the bulk of my diet during their season.  The only drawback is that if I don't brush my teeth with something like baking soda, they turn grayish-blue; small price to pay!  :)  For more about where to find blueberries, visit http://oregonblueberry.com/where.php.

        I love the Bvtn farmers market.  There's even a cantaloupe guy (certified organic, of course)!

        There is also an active gleaning community in Oregon (probably could find out more with online search, I don't know all the details)--we are so lucky, aren't we?

        Anyway, hope that helps and happy harvesting!

        Celeste

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
          > --- In RawPortland, Alison wrote:
          > When/where is the next raw potluck?
          >
          > Also, does anyone order food in bulk,

          Hi Alison,

          I'm hosting the next potluck. Mark your calendar for next Wednesday,
          August 10, in SE Portland. I'll post more details later.

          Yes, we often split orders of bulk foods. Just post your request to
          this list.

          I just found an interview with our local celebrity, Gabrielle!

          http://www.northatlanticbooks.com/index.php?screen=news05july

          A Rawsome Diet

          Author Spotlight

          This month's author spotlight is on Gabrielle Chavez, author of the
          new book The Raw Food Gourmet: Going Raw for Total Well-Being.

          Gabrielle began her professional healing journey in the 1970's
          through a study of the connections between nutrition and health. A
          degree in biology and religion at Yale University provided the
          foundation for a career in practical healing arts and spirituality.

          She is an accomplished herbalist, gardener, flower essence
          practitioner, Reiki master, and founding pastor of Christ the Healer
          United Church of Christ, an interfaith spiritual community in
          Portland, Oregon.

          In 2001, after embracing a raw and living foods diet for its
          spiritual value and the increased vitality it provides, she trained
          as a raw food chef, hosted a weekly gourmet raw potluck, and founded
          Share the Love Catering to feed a growing network of persons
          searching for food that nourishes the soul as well as the body..."

          To read the full interview go to
          http://www.northatlanticbooks.com/index.php?screen=news05july

          Mike