Produce Sticker Codes

  • Janna Blake-Allan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24 7:45 PM
      This was recently sent to another health-related Yahoo! group that I belong to...

      Janna

      Backslider's Corner
      by Jim Carey

      How to read the little stickers on loose fruits and vegetables... These stickers can tell you a lot about the food you are buying.

      A label with four digits indicates conventionally grown food.
      Labels with five digits starting with an 8 indicate that the food is Genetically Modified.
      Labels with five digits starting with a 9 indicate that the food is Organically Grown.

      I've printed this, cut it out and kept it in my wallet. But then I developed a mental association and can remember it without looking - "Four digits - normal food. 5 digits - heads up!" Then I consider that 9 is higher than 8, and remember that Organically grown is superior to - higher than - Genetically Modified.

    • Jeff Rogers
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25 7:47 AM
        The numbers are certainly a quick way to verify whether something is
        organic or not. I was not familiar with the "8" and have not seen it.
        but then again, I am usually just looking for organic. Regarding
        "normal", I look at the organic produce ("9") as being the "normal" and
        the four digit numbers (no "9") as being abnormal (pesticide use, etc.)

        Jeff