Do some veggies benefit from light steaming, wok-fry?

  • yogiorion
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2005
      Hey guys, new to this forum, I might have met some of you at the first
      potluck in June at Mike's house.

      I read that it may be beneficial to lightly cook members of the
      brassicus (sp?) family (broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, etc.) if one
      intends to eat them regularly because it neutralizes thyroid
      inhibitors. I also heard doing the same to spinach takes care of
      oxalic acid. Any thoughts?
    • Gabrielle
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2005
        Hi,

        Thomas here, writing on Gabrielle's computer. I know for sure that
        cooking does not lessen the effects of oxalic acid in spinich, only
        makes it more likely to become a problem. I've never heard of anyone
        getting an oxalic acid overload from raw spinich because the appropriate
        enzymes are present, where it is possible get one cooked (if you are
        silly enough to eat bails of it cooked) where the appropriate enzymes
        have been killed. As for the extended cabage family you mentioned, most
        raw fooders I know tend to eat less of them then they did when they were
        cooked eater, though kale-lemonade and kale salad warmed to the point of
        limpness in a dehydrator are great treats. Actually, from a raw foodist
        point of view these questions are a bit pointless because the
        assumptions underlieing the advice come from the historic model that
        says your body has to digest the food and cooking helps with the
        burden. Sort of like saying that we have to raise taxes to help us out
        of the hole that paying taxes puts us in. The fact is that there is no
        burden in the first place when the food is not cooked, and therfore can
        digest itself.

        Thomas