Vegan Congressman coming to Portland next week!

  • Celeste Crimi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2005
      NW In Defense of Animals
      Hi Everyone,

      This isn't directly related to raw food, but I think it's nice to support our vegan, cooked food cousins from time to time!  ;)

      And a Dept. of Peace sounds like a right good idea about now...

      Best,
      Celeste

      Date:          Saturday, June 25th
      Time:          Noon - 6:00pm
      Location:     Recycled Gardens - 6995 NW Cornelius Pass Rd, Hillsboro OR 97124
      Contact:      Keni Cyr-Rumble
      Phone         503-626-4070
      Email:         info@...
      Web:          www.POPPAinc.org
      Cost:          $20 per person 16 and up, kids under 10 FREE, 10-15 year olds $10 (without raffle ticket)

      Acoustic music at our beautiful, circa 1930's barn and garden center; lineup possibly includes headliner Steve Bradley of the Steve Bradley Band, and others. $20 admission includes veggie burger, salads, sides, cake, beer or wine, AND one raffle ticket for either a brand new Dean Performer QSE Cutaway Acoustic Electric guitar (retail value $559) donated by Portland Music Company, or a gift certificate for a day at Hollywood Day Spa (retail value $115).  Additional raffle tickets may be purchased for $5 each or 5 for $20.

      Come join the fun at Recycled Garden's fourth birthday party as we celebrate our success in assisting with over 9,000 spay/neuter surgeries statewide through POPPA, Inc.   All event proceeds will help fund even more spay or neuter surgeries for companion animals in Oregon.

      So grab your friends and come to the party--just make sure everyone packs their checkbook (NO plastic please--cash okay).  And yes, any pets at ease with crowds and other animals are always welcome at Recycled Gardens!

      Together we are accomplishing so much, thank you for being part of the Oregon animal rescue team!

      Celeste Crimi
      Vice President
      POPPA (Pet Over-Population Prevention Advocates), Inc
      PO Box 5721
      Beaverton OR 97006
      503-626-4070
      www.POPPAinc.org

      Animal Rights 2005 National Conference

      When:  July 7th – 11th
      Where:  Los Angeles, CA

      Join thousands of animal advocates at the AR 2005 National Conference. There will be workshops, videos, exhibits, vegan cuisine, plenaries and much, much more. Visit www.AR2005.org for more information or call 1-888-ASK-FARM.

      **If anyone is interested in driving down and wants to carpool, contact Connie at 503-249-9996 x3 or by email at connie@....

      Doorhanger Sundays - Beating the Streets for Better Science

      A small, dedicated group of volunteers for IDA and the Coalition to Abolish Animal Testing (CAAT) spend a couple hours every other Sunday walking Portland neighborhoods distributing door hangers about the Boycott OHSU campaign. Come join us and help spread the message about compassionate, reliable research. Our group has been dwindling in numbers so please try to make time in your busy schedule to join us for a Sunday or two.

      For more information, contact the NW IDA office at 503-249-9996 x3 or email at connie@.... Next doorhanger Sundays will be Sunday, June 5th and Sunday, June 19th . To join us meet at the IDA office at 9:30 am at 5428 NE 30th, Portland.

      News

      Foie Gras Bill Dies in the House

      Unfortunately, SB 861, which would have banned the import and sale of foie gras in Oregon, didn’t make it past the House of Representatives. The bill was assigned to the Agriculture and Natural Resources committee and the Chair, Senator Patti Smith, refused to hear the bill.

      All is not lost though. The bill and the topic of foie gras has gained momentum and has received a lot of media attention in Oregon and throughout the US. Many people who didn’t know what foie gras was before, know now and will refuse to ever purchase it because of the inherent cruelty involved.

      We are discussing continuing the campaign and will be in touch soon.

      Foie Gras Fracas: Gourmet or Just Gore?

      Portland Monthly's Mary Sawyers carefully lays out the arguments on both sides of Portland's foie gras controversy in the Urban Brawl column of their June issue. The article balances the debate with comments from local chefs, restaurant owners and activists including Greg Higgins, owner of Higgins restaurant downtown who decided to take foie gras off his menu.

      "We have a very aggressive stance on sustainable issues," Higgins says. "The bottom line is if you continue the force-feeding process in those animals for another two weeks, they would die from a ruptured liver" and although he likes the taste, he can't justify serving it as a humanely raised meat product.

      Portland Monthly would like to hear your feedback on Urban Brawl topics. Please address all correspondence to letters@... or write to Editors, Portland Monthly, 623 SW Oak St., Ste 300, Portland, OR 97205.

      OHSU animal researchers visited at home

      As published on Portland Indy Media, some unnamed individuals have allegedly been protesting at the homes of Oregon Health & Science University researchers conducting invasive experiments on animals. These links below detail anonymously published stories about these recent events and the open publishing format allows readers to participate in an online discussion about this controversial strategy to combat the suffering of animals in labs. For clarity, these events have not been organized by In Defense of Animals, however, IDA has in the past sponsored peaceful candlelight vigils at the home of OHSU's president Peter Kohler.

      To read more about these visits go to:

      http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2005/06/318548.shtml

      http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2005/05/318205.shtml

      Needing a Guardian  - A Lonely Little Canary Looking for Love

      Is anyone willing to open their home to a nice little yellow canary? This bird, who doesn't even have a name, lives alone in a small cage at my place of work. I feel so badly for it and would like to find a better situation. It wouldn't come with a cage so you'd have to have one already. otherwise, can anyone donate a flight cage?

      For more information or to help, please contact Sara at bishop_don1@... .

      A Second Red Lobster Article:

      Red Lobster faces protests for not joining boycott of Canadian seafood

      By Milford Prewitt

      ORLANDO, Fla. (May 31) - Red Lobster, while stressing its long-running efforts to preserve ocean species and promote animal welfare, is being threatened with protests against the 700-unit chain by animal-rights activists who say its purchases of Canadian seafood support Newfoundland's controversial seal pup hunt.

      Meanwhile, the operators of some 250 other restaurants who were organized by the Humane Society of the United States are boycotting Canadian seafood to protest the annual baby seal slaughter.

      Many of the boycotters, however, including the Boston-based Legal Sea Foods chain and some prominent New York chef-owners, stressed they only are shunning seafood from Newfoundland — the province where the slaughter is most concentrated — and expect negligible or no impact on their menu offerings.

      Meanwhile, Canadian government officials and Red Lobster are disputing the basis of the Humane Society's threatened leafleting at Red Lobster units worldwide on June 25 to spotlight the purported link between the chain's purchasing practices and the seal hunt.
      Calling the boycott of Canadian seafood a misplaced effort that will accomplish little while it hurts many, Darden spokesman Mike Bernstein said his company had invited Humane Society officials to join Red Lobster in discussions that already were in progress with Canadian officials and seafood vendors to consider alternative means of conducting the hunt.

      "We do share [the Humane Society's] concerns about the harvesting practices, and we have reached out to the Canadian government's Department of Fisheries and Oceans and others and told them about our concerns and our customers' concerns," Bernstein said.
      "Because we are a company that values humane practices in all the proteins we source, we wanted to negotiate with [the Canadians]. We feel it is much better to negotiate with officials, rather than pursue some purchasing boycott that only ends up hurting tens of thousands of innocent people."

      Bernstein's reference to Red Lobster's values was a reminder about the Darden Environmental Trust and its widely respected commitments to promoting species preservation, animal welfare, cleaner oceans and business alliances with like-minded vendors.

      The controversy and boycott are rooted in the widely criticized and much-filmed harvesting of seal pup pelts by first bashing the animals in the head with mallets or baseball-bat-like batons or shooting them in the head at point-blank range just days after birth.

      Once shorn of their pelts, the carcasses either are discarded in the ocean or are left on the beaches for scavengers. About 300,000 of the animals are processed during a legally sanctioned hunting season that lasts between midfall and midspring, with the bulk of the harvest occurring in just a few days from late March to early April.

      Newfoundland's Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture, Trevor Taylor, was quoted by Canadian news media as defending Red Lobster and predicting that the other American restaurants' boycott will have no effect and be unsuccessful.

      Though Taylor did not return phone calls seeking comment, he told the Canadian Broadcast Corp. and a fishermen's union newspaper not to worry about what he said were the misplaced sensitivities of the boycotters. He said misinformation and statistical distortions undermine the credibility of the restaurateurs who are aligning themselves with the boycott.

      "Red Lobster said that they weren't carrying Newfoundland and Labrador crab anymore," Trevor told the CBC. "Well, you know, they haven't carried Newfoundland and Labrador crab for some years. So this is the kind of misinformation that's going on."

      Taylor was quoted as saying his department's 2004 Seafood Industry in Review of Newfoundland shows U.S. buyers are the province's largest export market, accounting for 33 percent of all harvested seafood. China is second, at 19 percent. About $335 million U.S. dollars' worth of the province's total seafood harvest of $1.05 billion was shipped to American buyers last year, he indicated.

      Some restaurateurs, however, see their buying power as leverage that might effect a change in the seal slaughter.

      Bill Holler, senior seafood buyer of Legal Sea Foods, said he had been hoping to use his company's influence to end the harvest for a long time. While stressing that the company's purchases from the rest of Canada will remain unchanged, he asserted that many of the people who harvest seal pups are fishermen during the rest of the year. Holler stressed that Legal Sea Foods' intention is not to hurt Canadian vendors and suppliers who are unaffiliated with the seal harvest.

      "We have very good relations with our neighbors and even better relations with their fisheries, which are some of the best-regulated in the world," he said. "They do a fantastic job, and I will continue to do business with the rest of the nation. But we are drawing a line with Newfoundland. We cannot buy any more product from there until they cease the hunt."

      In the past, Holler said, Legal Sea Foods had purchased lobster and flat fish like cod, haddock and flounder from Newfoundland waters. But not any longer.

      "We are not trying to change people's cultures," he added. "We know that just as there are Japanese and Norwegian fishermen that depend on whales for their livelihoods, Newfoundland fishermen during a part of the year go after these seal pups.

      "But it is an appalling and ghastly practice that has to enter the modern era given all that we know. I just find it amazing that with all the starving masses on this planet, the Canadian fishing industry cannot find a secondary market for all of that wasted meat they leave on those shores."

      Rick Moonen, the celebrated New York chef best known for his long tenure at the Manhattan restaurant Oceana and his opening of the RM Seafood restaurant at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas, is one of several dozen chef-owners who have joined the boycott.

      "It's such a horrible thing they do that it is nothing less than an abomination," Moonen said. "Clubbing to death these seals like that — I've seen the pictures all my life, and it sickens me.

      "Now, for the first time, I have a real chance to do something to stop it," he added. "Thank God for Down East Seafood [a New York-based seafood distributor]. They are the real driving force behind this."

      Rebecca Aldworth, director of Canadian wildlife issues for the Humane Society in Montreal, said the planned protests for June 25 are a "campaign to inform people that by eating at Red Lobster they are helping this company support the seal hunt because Red Lobster buys a lot of Canadian seafood."

      She said the group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals will be joining the Humane Society's activism against the chain.

      E-mail the author at: mprewitt@...

      Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this. www.idausa.org, www.POPPAinc.org, www.hsus.org, www.stopforcefeeding.com
       Tell-a-friend!

      If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for In Defense of Animals Action Center.

      This message was sent to rcrimi14@.... Visit your subscription management page to modify your email communication preferences or update your personal profile. To stop ALL email from In Defense of Animals Action Center, click to remove yourself from our lists (or reply via email with "remove" in the subject line).

      In Defense of Animals NW   5428 NE 30th Street, Portland, OR 97211
      Tel.: +1 503 249 9996   Fax: +1 503 249 3631   idanw@...