Naturopaths... what I have learned

  • beccaletourneau
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2005
      Hi everyone--

      I just wanted to share an experience I've had recently.

      For the first time, I went to a naturopath to get some guidance on an
      annoying ailment of mine (eczema). I went to the cheapest one I could
      find in the yellow pages, and I guess I got my money's worth. I don't
      want to post her name here, but if anyone wants to know, email me and
      I'll spill it gladly! Anyway, the experience was awful! Within 5
      minutes she had told me that raw vegan food was malnourishing, but she
      could hardly tell me any reasons why... just the usual assumptions
      about B-12 and protein. (P.S. I had a full blood analysis done in
      February and am normal in every vitamin and nutrient!) She told me she
      couldn't help me because I wouldn't consider eating meat. It was about
      the worst experience I could imagine.

      The next day, I called more naturopaths and said, "I'm looking for the
      right naturopath for me who is willing to find solutions within my
      philosophy." Right away I found Dr. John Collins (Mike, I think you
      recommended him to me, but I lost the info). He is vegan and very
      knowledgeable in vegan nutrition and raw nutrition. I have just
      started following his advice, so I can't yet say if he will solve my
      problem. BUT, I was so grateful just for his hour of in-depth
      listening, examination and consideration! Thank goodness.

      Anyway, watch out for the nay-sayers! Doctors can easily hide behind
      their titles to throw their opinions around and they are just as
      susceptible to the nutrition myths that plague our society.

      Moral: Ask lots of questions before you make an appointment!

      <stepping off soap box>
    • Thomas & Gabrielle Chavez

        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2005
          Hi everyone-

          I've gotten a lot of responses. Thanks for all the support and
          suggestions.

          See you at the potlucks!

          Becca