raw, vegan dog treats

  • Celeste Crimi
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11 7:37 PM
      Mango season is here and what to do with those pits?

      Many dogs like to chew on them fresh.  Or, for an extra special treat, dry them in your dehydrator and keep them in an airtight container as humane chew toys.

      These make a wonderful alternative to rawhide chews and pig's ears, which are not only a choking hazard, they can also cause a life-threatening condition called 'bloat' or intestinal blockage requiring very expensive tests and emergency surgery.  In addition, these 'real, natural' store-bought goodies are preserved by being cooked to death and then preserved in rancid fat/oil.  Smell them yourself to see what I mean.  Bluck!

      Be sure to supervise your dog for the first few mango pits, as it's possible that they could swallow irritating chunks and give themselves a bit of intestinal upset if they go too hog wild.  Let experience be the teacher on this one.  Probably the worst that could happen is that they don't 'chew' well enough at first, when they're still learning, and they might throw up the undigested scraps...not a big deal for a dog.  They might even eat them a second time!  :)

      They could also have a little watery diarrhea, with the undigested scraps readily apparent.  Sorry, I know this forum is supposed to be about raw, vegan food for humans, and this last paragraph hasn't been too appetizing!  Still, this stuff could happen whether they're eating a mango pit, chomping on a stick, or munching a bone.  It's best to be prepared so we don't freak out.  If any of this happens, it's likely to be accompanied by increased water intake, and possibly some pacing/urgency to go outside.

      So, try it the first time when you'll be home all day, and once you know your dog can 'chew responsibly,' you can feel good about putting those mango pits to good use!

      And yes, chewing on fibrous mango pits can make a dog's teeth shine like a puppy's--without the risk of a fracture, as can occur when hard bones are chewed!

      My dog also enjoys other dried fruits given in moderation, such as pineapple, raisins, and dates.  Canines can benefit just as much as humans from these foods' high iron, potassium and fiber content.

      Try it and let me know how your dog responds.

      Celeste in Beaverton