Yacon Syrup and Camu Camu Extract Powder

  • Annette
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2005
      Greetings ~

      Being one that is easily talked into new and amazing products, I
      purchased two things from David Wolfe's tables at the Portland Raw
      Food Festival. How long ago was that? Now I don't know what to do with
      them.

      I have Yacon Syrup. I understand this is a sweetener that I can use as
      honey or agave. Since it has a molasses flavor, I've been told, I'm
      not sure how to use it. Does anyone have experience with this?

      And as for the Camu Camu extract powder -- I have no clue. I did a
      Google search and found:

      >>camu-camu has more Vitamin C than any other known botanical. The
      highest quality camu-camu contains 30 to 60 times more Vitamin C than
      an orange, plus bioflavanoids, and a combination of phytonutrients
      unique to the camu-camu fruit. Unfortunately, most of the commercially
      prepared camu-camu has a negligible amount of Vitamin C, which has led
      to a lack of appreciation of this most potent botanical. It also
      contains the amino acids, serine, valine, and leucine, as well as
      small amounts of thiamine, riboflavin and niacin. Camu-camu is
      traditionally used to support the immune system, to ward off viral
      infections, and to help maintain optimal health, especially under
      conditions of stress and anxiety, which tend to deplete the immune
      system.<<

      David's web site says >>Add one level tablespoon (3 grams) or more to
      juices, smoothies, raw ice creams, raw desserts, ...<<

      Since I'm in day 5 of an absolutely miserable "cold," I'm thinking it
      would definitely be beneficial to my system.

      All suggestions/recipes are welcomed.

      Thank you,
      Annette
    • Celeste Crimi
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 11, 2005
        Have you tried making molasses cookies with the yakon (I haven't, but it sounds fun)?  Everyone arrives at cookies in different ways, but here's what I'd probably do:

        Start with a base of either very thick tahini (let it settle for a week or longer and then pour off the oil on top and use the solid paste below), or a paste made from running walnuts in the food processor for a couple of minutes until they form a smooth, oily and soft ball of 'walnut butter.'  If desired, dab off excess oil.  Maybe you want 2 cups 16 oz) of base, if you want a lot of cookies.

        Possibly add a touch (1/4 cup?) of ground flax seed for texture/health.

        Consider including 1/2-1 cup of very finely processed, gooey raisins as they have a lovely texture and will darken the cookies.  Plus they will deepen the complexity of the sweet taste and confuse the palate enough that we wouldn't be able to say, "A ha!  You made these with Yakon syrup, didn't you?!"  Instead we'll say, "These are incredible...how did you do it?!"

        Joy of Cooking suggests the following spices:  1 tsp each cinnamon and powdered ginger (I'd throw in 1/2 tsp fresh to the processor mixture), 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp salt.  Because I'm partial to it, if you happen to have any mesquite powder around I would include 1 tsp of that, as well.

        I'd just putty around with this and add Yakon until it tastes right (guessing 1/4 cup?), then form into rough cookie shapes and serve either room temperature or warmed in a dehydrator.

        Other kitchen favorites that traditionally make use of that molasses flavor are baked beans (let me know if you come up an idea for that one) and Indian Corn Pudding (not my favorite, but probably fairly easy to replicate).

        Celeste in Beaverton