Want Kefir Colony?

  • Thomas & Gabrielle Chavez
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2005
      Hello everybody,

      The kefir grains we ordered from Dom's kefir Ins-ite
      -- http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html
      last year have produced some very healthy daughter
      cultures for us. We are using them to culture almond
      milk and coconut water for delicious probiotic-packed
      drinks and smoothies.

      Our favorite recipe is take 2-4 cups kefir-ized almond
      milk, 2 pints fresh or frozen blackberries, 1 banana
      and blend. Starting the day with one of these filling
      and satisfying smoothies allowed us to go and stay
      100% raw without temptation or fall nearly 4 years
      ago.

      Growing and using live kefir cultures successfully for
      vegans takes some learning. Our experience has been
      that the grains must rest and grow in cow or goat milk
      when not being used to culture almond milk, or they
      will eventually expire. (we did have one survive
      almost 2 years in almond milk alone, but it was not
      happy) Check out Dom's great site for everything you
      need to know about kefir.

      We have 5 cultures to offer for $10 each, and can
      bring them to either of the Raw Curious potlucks, next
      Wed in SE or a week from Tues in NE, for those who
      make arrangements with us by email.

[...]

      Gabrielle and Thomas