Ants

  • Joy King
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
      Hello -

      We all of the sudden have a small ant problem in our home and I was wondering if there were any natural ways to encourage them back outside or a different direction - please let me know if any one has any ideas!

      Thanks -
    • Celeste Crimi
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
        big, 1 inch long carpenter ants, or little bitty ants?  also, where are ants going in your house?  the water-rich bathroom/kitchen?

        thanks for taking such a loving attitude toward the ants--i'm sure they appreciate the 'encouragement' approach over the 'poison and squash' approach!  :)

        Celeste Crimi
        Beaverton, OR
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
          Dear Joy,

          My first thought is that if they are such a small area I would either:

          1) make my yard more attractive by making sure they have accessible, available sources of food, shelter, warmth and water

          2) seal off the space through which they are traveling (although if their needs are not being met outside they will just try that much harder to survive by finding another way in).

          3) set an attractive humane trap up so they all go there, and empty it outside, FREQUENTLY ENOUGH THAT THEY DON'T STARVE TO DEATH OR OTHERWISE SUFFER IN THE TRAP.

          4) ignore them and wait for them to set up camp elsewhere on their own.  I like to think of them as floor-based confetti, especially since ants are so clean, and because the varieties that live in the NW don't seem to be aggressive biters! :)

          I did a search for humane 'ant control' and there were several interesting-looking links.  It would appear that other people have already wrestled with this issue!

          Gee, I hope that's been a little bit helpful.

          Celeste
          They are the small ones - they seem to be coming from a corner (L shape) in our home, of course, it is right on the edge of the kitchen - my guess is they are getting in the crawl space and working their way up - but I could be wrong.

          If I can avoid being in a situation where I have to squash an insect no matter small, I would choose that any day!!!!!!!!!!  However, my guess is there are a few steps that I have to take before that situation can occur!  Ugh...

          Thanks for your help!!