Raw Cashews in Portland?

  • chai_mama@juno.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2004
      can you buy raw cashews in portland?
      thanks &
      blessings,
      Leslie
    • Celeste Crimi
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2004
        My experience is that's up for debate.

        Some say that raw cashews are steamed to get them out of their shells and 'raw' is only meant to set them apart in taste from 'roasted' cashews, but that they're actually dead.

        Others say that only the very outside of the nut has been killed, if anything, and that they've personally had success getting cashews from health food stores such as People's food coop to sprout, which would prove life.

        I tend to eat by instinct and feel that often the cashews available in bulk at health food stores such as Daily Grind and People's are often raw, but not always.  How to tell?  Well, my feeling is that 'halves and pieces' are not usually as alive as whole cashews.  And other than that, I just go on taste and intuition.

        To be on the safe side, I generally tend to favor nuts such as walnuts, brazil nuts, hazelnuts (filberts) and almonds, which are more reliably living than pistachios, pine nuts, cashews and pecans.  Seeds such as sunflower are also great.  Sunflower seeds are such easy sprouters that proving life is only a 24-hour process (soak, then sprout).

        For example, for the party I'm having Jan 15 (if anyone wants to come who  hasn't yet RSVP'd, please do so now so I'll have enough food for everyone), I will only be using for-sure raw nuts/seeds.

        I hope that helps and I wish I could give a more definite answer.

        Celeste Crimi
        Beaverton, OR

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2004
          Hi Leslie,

          I purchase raw cashews from these two websites. I haven't found
          them in Portland. The cashews in the stores won't sprout.
          http://www.rawfood.com/cashews.html
          http://www.eatraw.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=er011

          Be sure to soak them before eating!

          Mike Snyder