Re: [RawPortland] Fw: Calendula Cafe has Closed

  • Helen Hecker
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2004
      Thank you Celeste--  You are amazing and  we all benefit from your wonderful posts and contributions.

       A month ago I talked to People's buyer about ordering RAW agave in bulk.  I understood that Madhava had talked their supplier in Mexico into RAW agave-- by not heating it to the 180 degrees in previous batches... but to  no more than 120 degrees.  They agreed.  After I relayed this to the buyer at People's he was going to ask Madhava for the name of the supplier.( The Madhava brand was used by some of the raw chefs at the festival.)  Every week when I go into People's I ask about it-- so they don't forget. Everyone ASK when you go in!  In California you can get it bulk for about $8 a quart.  Hopefully we can get it for a good price.  It is making so many more recipes possible.   The Aunt Patty's agave at Daily Grind etc. is NOT raw.  Helen

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2004
        i just looked madhava up on the 'net.  their website, http://www.madhavahoney.com/agave.htm, has contact info, including via email.

        there is an article stating that the agave comes out of the plant milky white, so i'm wondering if maybe they're heating to clarify, or if that can be accomplished just by sedimentation or filtration.

        personally, i would prefer to buy it milky white and raw, than clear and cooked!  :)

        helen, would you be willing to contact madhava directly and ask about the supplier lowering the temp, or foregoing the heating process altogether?

        thank you,
        Celeste
        Thank you Celeste--  You are amazing and  we all benefit from your wonderful posts and contributions.

         A month ago I talked to People's buyer about ordering RAW agave in bulk.  I understood that Madhava had talked their supplier in Mexico into RAW agave-- by not heating it to the 180 degrees in previous batches... but to  no more than 120 degrees.  They agreed.  After I relayed this to the buyer at People's he was going to ask Madhava for the name of the supplier.( The Madhava brand was used by some of the raw chefs at the festival.)  Every week when I go into People's I ask about it-- so they don't forget. Everyone ASK when you go in!  In California you can get it bulk for about $8 a quart.  Hopefully we can get it for a good price.  It is making so many more recipes possible.   The Aunt Patty's agave at Daily Grind etc. is NOT raw.  Helen

        i am anxiously awaiting more news on the agave front--will you pls keep me posted?

        thanks so much,  you are an inspiration to our community and i'm glad to have you in my life and as a friend!

        Celeste
        > Owing to financial difficulties, Calendula Cafe has closed.  We wish to
        sincerely thank all of our customers for providing us with exceptional
        support.

        > To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click the link below:

        http://pub19.bravenet.com/elist/add.php?action=leave&usernum=1589384450&emailaddress=twinpeak@...

        ---