Fw: which bubbies raw

  • Celeste Crimi
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2004
      boo hoo!  and here i was thinking the jarred bubbies was the raw stuff....

      yesterday i was at new seasons concordia doing a tasting for smart monkey food's italian cheeze (yummy!).  i happened to glance behind me and saw the usual bubbies, at $4 or so for 28 oz or so.

      above it was bubbies in a yogurt-kinda tub, $12.99 for 32 oz.

      doesn't it just figure that the 'really, truly raw' sauerkraut is about 3 times the price?  still i'm anxious to try it...

      Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 3:47 PM
      Subject: RE: which bubbies raw

      Hi, Celeste:

      You are correct.  The jar is pasteurized due to leaking problems.  Otherwise they are the same.

      John

      John M. Gray

      President

      Bubbies of San Francisco, Inc.

      209-957-9411

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2004
        I've had it from the tub, very good.  Food Front had it on sale for $7 about 3-4 weeks ago.  That's still expensive too me so I've started making my own.  I mean, gee, it's only fermented cabbage!  I'm using the recipe from "The Raw Gourmet" (pg 49).  The first batch turned out good in flavor but I didn't like the texture.  The recipe calls for running the cabbage through a juicer with a blank screen and my juicer turned it into something like babyfood (I have a Sampson GB9001 by Green Bison).

        I also only gave the first batch 3 days fermenting time and it wasn't tart enough for me so I thought I'd give the second batch longer, and try running it through the juicer without the endcap (thing) on to see if I could get a better texture.  Tomorrow will be 7 days, and I'm going to see how it turned out... I'll let you know.

        Anyway, I'm weary of any jar that has a "pop-top" seal.  I'm pretty sure they have to heat it to get a vacuum seal on it.  And, sealing a jar of sauerkraut that's still "alive" isn't possible/easy because the fermentation process builds pressure when in an "airtight" container.

        I found a jar of kimchee (sp?), which is basically spicy sauerkraut, in Fred Meyer in a refrigerated section next to the produce (bagged lettuce).  It's uncooked and in a jar and the lid is always bowed out.  It's great when you first open it because it's bubbly, natural carbonation.  It's not unusual to see some leakage on the outside of these jars and the label let's you know that's normal.

        Regards,
        Bryan
        100% raw since 4/2003

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 25, 2004
          that's just it, the bubbies in the jar didn't have a pop top, just a regular screw-off lid, like the other brands of raw sauerkrauts.

          i think what the bubbies fellow was saying is that they have to pasteurize it so it won't leak, not so they can vacuum seal it.

          anyway, that's  a technicality, the sad fact is the cheap bubbies is cooked--boo hoo!

          i do like juliano's idea of mixing fresh cabbage with raw sauerkraut and stretching the storebought stuff that way ('cause darn it, i just haven't been able to make kraut that's as yummy--and feels as safe--as the storebought stuff).

          kind of like using the 'kraut as a 'mother' the same way a mother is used to make vinegar, etc.

          anyway, looking forward to hearing how your 'kraut turns out with a week of fermentation...

          btw, how much does the kim chee at fred meyer run, and do you have details on the brand, etc?

          thanks for writing, bryan!

          Celeste
          Beaverton

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 27, 2004
            Thanks for the reply Celeste,

            My Kraut turned out good.  leaving the endcap off the juicer helped the texture, and I ran about 2 cups through the food processor with the S blade for some bigger pieces.  It doesn't have the same taste as what you get from the store but it is sour, and I and all my guinea pigs like it : ).  I used one head red and one head green and ended up with a light purple kraut and fermented the whole 7 days this time.  btw, I use a 2 gal plastic bucket and fill a gal freezer Ziploc bag about 1/2 full to place on top.  This adds the recommended pressure to the kraut during fermentation and keeps the smell to a minimum (as I' fermenting in the house, in the laundry/mud room).

            I'm intrigued by the idea of using store bought kraut as a starter.  I think I'll also try that to see the difference.  In any case, I think my entire budget for about 64 oz of kraut was about $3.

            Next time I'm at Fred Meyer I'll get more info on the Kimchee.

            Regards,
            Bryan