Exciting health events

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2004
      Hello friends,

      There are some great health events and presentations coming up this
      month. I'm going to attend the Howard Lyman presentation, and I'm
      planning on doing the group juice fast later this month with Dr.
      Steven Bailey, ND & Dr. Josie Schmidt, ND, of the Northwest
      Naturopathic Clinic. Dr. Bailey's book is titled "The Fasting Diet"
      and is available in the Portland libraries. More info is at the
      bottom of this email.

      I think you have a great idea and there is definitely a need for
      it in Portland. You would be an excellent personal chef and teacher,
      and holding in-home demos would be a great way to do this. I know of
      some people in San Fran and Eugene who do this and they may be able
      to give you some tips. Rob and Anna Miller do this in Eugene, this
      link is a description of their latest project, a Raw Foods Garden
      Party and Prep Class->
      Joshua and Elizabeth are doing in-home demo's in San Fran, their
      website is http://www.livingintentions.com

      Alex's latest newsletter is available at
      He has pictures and a review of the Portland festival->

      Below are some upcoming health related events in the Portland area.

      The following is quoted from http://www.nwveg.org/Calendar.html

      September 15 (Wednesday), 11:00 am: KBOO Community Radio Lecture
      Series Preview our inspirational speaker, Howard Lyman, who will
      appear in Portland on September 28. He was recorded in 2000 at The
      Lewis and Clark College. His topic: "The Politics of Beef."

      September 15 (Wednesday), 6:00-7:30 pm: Showing Of Peaceable Kingdom
      Northwest VEG will show Peaceable Kingdom at the Multnomah Central
      Library, SW 10th Ave. & Yamhill St. in downtown Portland. Peaceable
      Kingdom focuses on the Farm Sanctuary in New York State, which was
      started by Laurie and Gene Bauston, a couple who have been leaders in
      the animal rights movement for many years. Howard Lyman, who will
      speak in Portland on Sept. 28, is featured in the film and tells his
      story of transformation during a time when he had a life-threatening
      tumor. Produced by Tribe of Heart, makers of The Witness, this
      brilliant documentary provides rare and remarkable insights into
      farming practices and farm animals.

      September 19 (Sunday), 9:00 am: Discussion on Heathly Children,
      Healthy Planet
      A discussion course called "Healthy Children, Healthy Planet" is
      starting September 19 (Sunday) at 9 am in SW Portland. The course is
      the latest offering from Northwest Earth Institute
      http://www.nwei.org (others have been Voluntary Simplicity,
      Sustainable Living, etc.). The topics covered include how our
      culture is influencing our children to be consumers. You will also
      discover ways to create meaningful family times. The course lasts 9
      weeks, 1 hour each week on Sundays from 9 am to 10 am at West Hills
      Unitarian Universalist Fellowship. The course material is $15. If
      interested, call Janet Liu 697-7893, or janetliu1@...

      Sept. 28 (Tuesday), 7:00 - 9:00 pm — Howard Lyman Speaks in Portland
      Join us for a special evening with Howard Lyman, author of "Mad
      Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat". He
      will speak on "Food Safety and the Interdependent Web of Life."
      Location: First Unitarian Church, SW 12th Ave. & Main St., Portland.
      $5 - $15 sliding scale admission. For information about Howard Lyman,
      visit http://www.madcowboy.com For more information on this event go
      to http://www.nwveg.org/Lyman_event_04.html

      There are some great on-line interviews with Howard Lyman, check out
      (Scroll down to 6/3/2004)
      and check out Jeff Rense's website at
      (Scroll down to 12-26-03)
      (Scroll down to 09-23-03)

      The following is quoted from
      Northwest Naturopathic Clinic's Fall Cleanse with Steven Bailey, ND &
      Josie Schmidt, ND Begins Thursday, September 23rd:

      A $25. non-refundable deposit is required by Sept. 17th
      Inquiries and to sign up please call 503.224.8083

      Dr. Bailey @ the SE 20th and Division Street New Season's Store
      September 9th - 7:30 to 9:00 PM
      "Why Juice Fasting is So Cool in the Fall"

      Dr. Bailey with Marlana Smith on the Electric Salon
      KBOO - 90.7 FM - First Friday of each month 9 AM

      JOIN US as we complete our 22nd year of providing medically
      supervised fasts to the public. Participants will have the
      opportunity to explore: raw foods, juicing, enemas, food sensitivity
      reactions, dysbiosis/candida protocols, gallbladder/liver flush,
      castor oil pack, dry skin brushing, hydrotherapy and more. This is an
      opportunity to renew and rejuvenate your body, mind and spirit. We
      will not only be using the vehicle of fasting to to help cleanse our
      physical bodies, but also to explore our mental, emotional, social,
      and energetic relations with food, eating, and nourishment.
      THE FORMAT: 13-day framework, which includes three days of
      preparatory bulking with fruits and vegetables, five days of juicing
      consisting of various combinations of organic raw vegetable juice and
      fruit juice (there is an option of continuing after the juices with
      water, master cleanse, or watermelon if desired), and then a five day
      reintroduction schedule to challenge food sensitivities.

      1st meeting - Thursday, September 23rd 7-9 pm
      2nd meeting - Monday, September 27th 7-9 pm
      3rd meeting - Thursday, September 30th 7-9 pm
      Friendly House Community Center – 2617 NW Savier St.

      Steven Bailey, N.D.
      Josie Schmidt, N.D.
      2606 N.W. Vaughn
      Portland, OR 97210
      PH: 503•224•8083
      FX: 503•224•5883
      Here are some good articles on water and juice fasting->
      "Juice Fasting" by Len Watson

      "Flowers Under the Snow, Some Thoughts on Fasting" Dr. Steven Bailey,

      "Fasting and Sunbathing" by Herbert M. Shelton->