Re: [RawPortland] Raw mexican recipes

  • Celeste & Richard Crimi
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2004
      in my personal opinion, i like the mexican food recipes in juliano's uncookbook, RAW.

      of course, salsa and guacamole are living foods.

      and smart monkey foods often offers mexican flavors at their vegan nights dinners on wednesday (like mexican terrine, which is like an incredible taco salad), and cheeze-stuffed mild chiles with mole sauce...yum!  info at www.smartmonkeyfoods.com.

      in the text below, pls see one of my original recipes, which is a big favorite at my house:  tortilla soup.

      Celeste Crimi
      Bvtn, OR

      Tortilla Soup

      Mocked up by Celeste Crimi

       Use all raw, preferably certified organic ingredients, and substitute to taste

       Serves 4-6 as part of a meal, or 2 hungry friends as a big dinner

       For soup base:

       1 ½-2 c corn, fresh or frozen by you (storebought frozen corn is cooked)

      1 T onion, minced

      juice ½ lemon

      4 c filtered water

      ¼ c olive oil

      1 ½ tsp sea salt

      1 ripe, red, hot pepper, minced tiny (I use scissors for this)—i.e. Serrano or Thai

       spices for soup (rough approximations, let your own taste be the guide):

      ¼ tsp paprika

      1 tsp chili powder

      1 tsp cumin

      ¼ tsp coriander

      ½ tsp dried lime peel powder

      ¼ tsp rosemary

      1/8 tsp black pepper

      ¼ tsp white pepper

      1/8 tsp cinnamon

       To serve:

       at least one large avocado

      dehydrated crackers of choice

       Warm soup in double boiler or similar low heat, taking care steam never forms, and that the chef can comfortably rest a finger in the soup, even on the bottom of the pan.  If you don’t trust yourself, use a low temperature kitchen thermometer.

       Place at least ¼ c diced avocado in the bottom of each serving bowl, then ladle soup to spill around the avocado.  Either crumble crackers into soup and serve immediately, or serve crackers on the side and allow diners to crumble/dip at will.