SmartMonkey Foods in the Portland Mercury

  • ani phyo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2004
      The Portland Mercury wrote a full page article on
      SmartMonkey Foods this week! Check it out online:

      http://www.portlandmercury.com/current/supper.html

      or read it below (minus food photo):

      BABY, I LIKE IT RAW!
      Smart Monkey Foods Do Vegan Right
      by Michael Svoboda

      Smart Monkey Foods
      smartmonkeyfoods.com
      236-7878

      Ani Phyo, co-owner of Smart Monkey Foods, is the
      perfect spokesmodel for the raw and living foods
      movement; she's intelligent, confident, friendly,
      athletic, and absolutely stunning. She is exactly who
      should be pushing foods that are claiming to be
      "anti-aging." Listening to Ani and partner Ede
      Schweizer's story of how they made raw foods their
      life's work (read the story on their website) made me
      believe that a movement was actually happening. Simply
      put, raw and living foods are foods that contain
      enzymes, which are easier for your body to break down.
      Conversely, all cooked food is devoid of enzymes,
      thereby making your body do all the work. Living and
      raw foods also have enormously higher nutrient values
      than foods which have been cooked. For the curious,
      every Wednesday night at Three Friends Coffeehouse,
      the vegan raw food moguls Smart Monkey prepare a multi
      course feast for anyone willing to foot the bill.

      On the Wednesday I attended, I found a summer meal
      like none I had ever tasted. I began with a dreamy
      Cucumber Dill Soup ($6) served at room temperature
      that glowed milky green against the white bowl. It was
      an explosion of dill and spiciness with a creamy
      smooth base and crunchy chunks of cucumber. I was
      immediately impressed and tempted to lick the bowl
      clean.

      Between courses, I cleansed my palate with a purple
      Blueberry Blast Smoothie ($5), served in a wine glass.
      Its nutty vanilla bean deliciousness was countered by
      a slightly sandy texture that led me to believe that
      even the smoothie was adding to my overall nutrient
      load.

      Next I dove into the Portabella Mushroom Steak with
      Gravy entr�e ($15). Again this was served tepid--which
      admittedly takes a little getting used to. But as soon
      as the flavors revealed themselves, I completely
      forgot about heat and relished in the complexity of
      what I was tasting. The mushroom steaks were
      thoroughly marinated, which gave them a fresh springy
      juiciness. The gravy seemed to melt as I slathered and
      dipped my steak in it. However, the real star of the
      meal was the entr�e's side dish, the Brazil-Broccoli
      Mash--a grainy bright green half scoop of raw broccoli
      and Brazil nuts blended with herbs and spices to
      create a truly unique substitute for potatoes.

      Dessert was a Blueberry Summer Soup with Cashew Cream
      ($6) that had the consistency of yogurt or custard.
      This was gobbled in minutes, and I was contemplating
      asking for seconds, even though I was verging on
      popping the top button of my pants.

      If you're interested in trying one of Smart Monkey's
      dinners, reservations are a must. The food isn't
      cheap, but it's an experience you're not going to find
      elsewhere in Portland. They also package some of their
      dishes and sell them at local natural food stores,
      such as Food Front and Whole Foods (where,
      incidentally, you can find raw and living foods
      cooking classes). Ani says presenting these meals,
      making the packaged foods, and teaching the classes is
      "all about education." What better way to change the
      world than through food?

      =====
      SmartMonkey Foods
      organic living cuisine