Holistic Dentist (root canal options)?

  • Chris Keinath
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18, 2012
      Hi All,
      I know this question was asked (and answered) recently... but I paid no attention (did not need a dentist at that time!)...

      Can anyone recommend a dentist skilled in alternative or holistic dentistry?

      Huge tooth pain since last week, and my dentist is suggesting a root canal might be called for.

      Any wisdom on root canals (more properly, on alternatives)?

      Thanks so much!
      -chris
    • Nora Lenz
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18, 2012
        Hi Chris,
        I will share my experience as it may be helpful.  I was told by a dentist I trusted a few years ago that I needed a root canal, but I fasted instead and the pain went away.  It would come back periodically when I ate nuts, so I gave them up completely for a few years and the tooth pain never came back.  The tooth in question had a crown on it, and the crown was cracked.  Unfortunately, after the pain went away I got complacent and ended up not doing anything with the tooth.  It lasted a few more years and then the crown fell off and it was determined that there wasn’t enough tooth left to support a crown.  Interestingly, there was no pain even after the crown fell off.  I had to have the tooth pulled, however (in preparation for an implant).  If I’d at least had the crown replaced when the crack was first diagnosed, I’d still have the tooth.

        The reason why dentists seem to favor root canals is they don’t recognize that pain and inflammation don’t always mean the nerve is dying.  The severity of the pain is what dentists seem to use as an indication that a root canal is needed.  In some or even many cases, it may be best to try and get the pain and inflammation under control with fasting or dietary improvement (minimally), then see a dentist to have repairs done, if needed.  There’s really no cost in doing that, except putting up with the pain a bit longer, although dentists will often try to scare people into submitting right away.  And the benefit may be that you can avoid the cost and discomfort of a root canal.

        At the time I was having my problems we had a good discussion on my RawSchool Yahoo group about root canals, so you may want to dig it up on the archives.  I have learned since then that doing root canals is what dentists do to save teeth, at least ostensibly, so from this perspective they are not all bad.  If a root canal is the only way to prevent the complete loss of a tooth, it may be the best course of action (although not the cheapest!).  Determining whether a root canal is really necessary is the tricky part.  It was my plan back then to test my theory (that root canals are only used when there is pain & inflammation) by going to my trusted dentist with the same tooth problem (a cracked crown) but no pain, and see what his recommendation was.  I didn’t do that but, needless to say, I sure wish I would have.  Live and learn!

        I’ve got lots of really old (35+ years) dental work in my mouth that is needing replacing right now, so I’ve been traveling to Mexico to have it done.  If you have any interest in doing that, I’d be happy to share my experiences.

        Best wishes,
        Nora
        Dog home alone?
        www.DoggyPlayGroups.com
        An oz of prevention beats a lb of ‘management’
        www.NoMoreVetBills.com
        www.RawSchool.com

        Hi All,
        I know this question was asked (and answered) recently... but I paid no attention (did not need a dentist at that time!)...

        Can anyone recommend a dentist skilled in alternative or holistic dentistry?

        Huge tooth pain since last week, and my dentist is suggesting a root canal might be called for.

        Any wisdom on root canals (more properly, on alternatives)?

        Thanks so much!
        -

      • Paul Fieber
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 18, 2012

          Please do a search for Hal Huggins, a alternative dentist in Colorado,   After you read about the dangers of root canals, you will never have one completed.   I would pull the tooth always before ever doing a root canal.   Root canals are very connected to breast cancer as well and every woman whom I have asked so far that had breast cancer also did have a least one root canal in her mouth.   You can take if from there.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 19, 2012
            Thanks, Nora (email sent separately); Gotta love the collective Wisdom of our RawPortland tribe!
            blessings,
            -chris
          • bijou.bijou@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 20, 2012
              Hi, Nora,

              What dentist are you seeing in Mexico? Is he/she a holistic dentist?

              I am assuming that they charge a lot less?

              Thanks!

              Aimee

            • bijou.bijou@rocketmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 20, 2012
                Hi, Paul,

                I agree that root canals are not a good idea. I had one done a few years ago and then it got infected again. I called a holistic doctor in CA and he sent me some books. I found out that most root canals are next to impossible to clean out when done and infections begin again.

                Also, each tooth is connected via nerves to various organs in the body. That is why chronic illnesses and cancer develop in relation to the tooth in which a root canal was done. Scary!

                Anyway, I then had the dentist just remove the tooth and had a bridge done...

                Aimee

                --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Fieber" <pfieber@...> wrote:

                > Please do a search for Hal Huggins, a alternative dentist in Colorado, After you read about the dangers of root canals, you will never have one completed. I would pull the tooth always before ever doing a root canal. Root canals are very connected to breast cancer as well and every woman whom I have asked so far that had breast cancer also did have a least one root canal in her mouth. You can take if from there.
                >
                > Paul

              • Nora Lenz