Re: Mesquite pod powder

  • brion.oliver
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
      Hi, Bill -

      I sell mesquite powder through Our Community Pantry. It's packaged by Ultimate Superfoods, and available for $3.93 in 2-oz, $7.40 in 8-oz, and $11.00 in 16-oz.

      They only currently have in stock the version they're calling "sweet". Both types they stock are 100% organic and raw. The more standard version may be available by the time of the OCP July order on Friday the 13th.

      It's in the herbs and powders section of the OCP website: http://www.ourcommunitypantry.com/

      You may also want to try Rok Caldwell. He often has this sort of thing as well.

      -Brion

      Our Community Pantry
      Real Food Purchased Together

    • bijou.bijou@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2012
        What is Mesquite Pod Powder used for, other than in a Chai? Is it medicinal?

        Thank you....

        Aimee

        --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "brion.oliver" <brion@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Bill -
        >
        > I sell mesquite powder through Our Community Pantry. It's packaged by Ultimate Superfoods, and available for $3.93 in 2-oz, $7.40 in 8-oz, and $11.00 in 16-oz.
        >
        > They only currently have in stock the version they're calling "sweet". Both types they stock are 100% organic and raw. The more standard version may be available by the time of the OCP July order on Friday the 13th.
        >
        > It's in the herbs and powders section of the OCP website: http://www.ourcommunitypantry.com/
        >
        > You may also want to try Rok Caldwell. He often has this sort of thing as well.
        >
        > -Brion
        >
        > Our Community Pantry
        > Real Food Purchased Together
        > www.ourcommunitypantry.com
        >

        > --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, William Milmoe <wmilmoe@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I went to Whole foods tonight and they did not carry Mesquite pod powder.
        > >
        > > I think I bought it originally from Chad Sarno. It is great for making
        > > chai out of young coconut meat and water.
        > >
        > > Any good sources you know of in the Portland / Vancouver area or do I have
        > > to go on-line...
        > >
        > > Not essential but a nice change from plain or carob flavored.
        > >
        > > Thank you so very much.
        > >
        > > Bill
        > > PS I have updated my ecovillage ad...
        > > http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/3097488458.html
        > > It would be great to have other vegetarians, vegans or raw vegans but I
        > > will also be happy with forest gardeners or permies.

      • The Raw Matrix
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2012
          I don't think mesquite is considered a medicinal food, though I'm sure there are some medicinal applications for the plant.

          It's primarily used as a natural sweetening and flavoring agent, and is known to be high in protein and minerals, though I've seen different minerals listed for it. It's also lower on the glycemic index than many sweeteners, though it's not nearly as sweet as most sweeteners, either.

          From the Sunfood article, "Mesquite is a traditional Native American food that has been used for centuries as a reliable source of nutrients in the harshest of climates."

          On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:08 AM, bijou.bijou@... <bijou.bijou@...> wrote:

          What is Mesquite Pod Powder used for, other than in a Chai? Is it medicinal?

          Thank you....

          Aimee

          --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "brion.oliver" <brion@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Bill -
          >
          > I sell mesquite powder through Our Community Pantry. It's packaged by Ultimate Superfoods, and available for $3.93 in 2-oz, $7.40 in 8-oz, and $11.00 in 16-oz.
          >
          > They only currently have in stock the version they're calling "sweet". Both types they stock are 100% organic and raw. The more standard version may be available by the time of the OCP July order on Friday the 13th.
          >
          > It's in the herbs and powders section of the OCP website: http://www.ourcommunitypantry.com/
          >
          > You may also want to try Rok Caldwell. He often has this sort of thing as well.
          >
          > -Brion
          >
          > Our Community Pantry
          > Real Food Purchased Together
          > www.ourcommunitypantry.com

          > --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, William Milmoe <wmilmoe@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I went to Whole foods tonight and they did not carry Mesquite pod powder.
          > >
          > > I think I bought it originally from Chad Sarno. It is great for making
          > > chai out of young coconut meat and water.
          > >
          > > Any good sources you know of in the Portland / Vancouver area or do I have
          > > to go on-line...
          > >
          > > Not essential but a nice change from plain or carob flavored.
          > >
          > > Thank you so very much.
          > >
          > > Bill
          > > PS I have updated my ecovillage ad...
          > > http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/3097488458.html
          > > It would be great to have other vegetarians, vegans or raw vegans but I
          > > will also be happy with forest gardeners or permies.

        • William Milmoe
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2012
            Thanks for asking Aimee.

            Chad Sarno's book has a list of world cuisines and the spices/ingredients that each type of cuisine uses.  His book may have some other uses for Mesquite.

            The Empire seems intent on destroying all forests and Mesquite trees are being cut down for $$ as a flavoring wood used in barbeque's.
            The Rebel Alliance recommends using the pod of the Mesquite tree as a sustainable way to support the trees.

            Here is my recipe for a thick Chai shake that I am currently enjoying:

            1/4 cup Organic Raw Mesquite powder
            3 stalks of celery
            1 medium carrot
            coconut meat from 3-5 young Thai coconuts
            1 qt. filtered water or the water from 2 or 3 of the coconuts

            Blend and enjoy.  If you do not want the orange tint from the carrots use less or leave out entirely.
            NOTE: Many people today do not have much "night vision" so getting digestible raw carrots into one's diet is important.
            Garnet Yams can replace carrots as a vitamin A source.

            Bill

            Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:25 am (PDT) . Posted by:

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 20 1:11 AM
              Interesting info...thanks, Brion!

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 20 1:14 AM
                Hi, Bill,

                Sad to hear that Mesquite trees are disappearing :(

                Where do you buy your young Thai coconuts?

                Thanks!

                Aimee

                --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, William Milmoe <wmilmoe@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for asking Aimee.
                >
                > Chad Sarno's book has a list of world cuisines and the spices/ingredients
                > that each type of cuisine uses. His book may have some other uses for
                > Mesquite.
                >
                > The Empire seems intent on destroying all forests and Mesquite trees are
                > being cut down for $$ as a flavoring wood used in barbeque's.
                > The Rebel Alliance recommends using the pod of the Mesquite tree as a
                > sustainable way to support the trees.
                >
                > Here is my recipe for a thick Chai shake that I am currently enjoying:
                >
                > 1/4 cup Organic Raw Mesquite powder
                > 3 stalks of celery
                > 1 medium carrot
                > coconut meat from 3-5 young Thai coconuts
                > 1 qt. filtered water or the water from 2 or 3 of the coconuts
                >
                > Blend and enjoy. If you do not want the orange tint from the carrots use
                > less or leave out entirely.
                > NOTE: Many people today do not have much "night vision" so getting
                > digestible raw carrots into one's diet is important.
                > Garnet Yams can replace carrots as a vitamin A source.
                >
                > Bill
                >
                > 1a
                > Re: Mesquite pod powder
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawPortland/message/2892;_ylc=X3oDMTJyYWpqMzNrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEyMDgyNDEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAxNTQ4MgRtc2dJZAMyODkyBHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEzNDA5NzU0NjE->
                > Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:25 am (PDT) . Posted by:
                > "bijou.bijou@..." bijou.bijou@...
                > <bijou.bijou@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Mesquite%20pod%20powder>
                > What is Mesquite Pod Powder used for, other than in a Chai? Is it
                > medicinal?
                >
                > Thank you....
                >
                > Aimee

              • abundant11
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 20 8:02 AM
                  Glad that this thread got 'resurrected' as I made apple sauce yesterday from a neighbor's apples and forgot to use celery to moderate the sugar and made mesquite pod powder "young coconut milk" and again forgot to use celery.

                  Aimee I buy Thai Coconuts by the case at Asian markets like Fubonn or the Vietnamese market on Prescott east of I-205 at about 98th?

                  Please do not consume more then 1 or 2 cases a week.. Moderation of good things... slowly eliminate the bad...