Unpasteurized Organic Almonds

  • Nora Lenz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2011
      Hi All,
      I will be selling organic unpasteurized almonds again this year.  The price is tentatively set at $9/lb, with a minimum order of 5 pounds.  If you need them shipped, this adds roughly $1/lb.  The price may shift a bit, more likely downward than upward, but this will depend on the yields.  The only way to order is to email me directly at nmlenz@....  I expect to receive the shipment a week or so after they are harvested, which typically happens around Labor Day.  If you plan to order, it is very helpful for me to know for purposes of determining the size of my order.  I like to have all my almonds sold out by February or so.
      Jfyi, although there has been some progress made on the legal case which seeks to wrest almonds from the control of people who want to cook or chemicalize them in order to make them “safe” (http://www.cornucopia.org/2010/08/federal-court-victory-almond-farmers-can-challenge-usda-pasteurization-rule/), there are still no almonds available on the commercial market which have not been subjected to pasteurization in one form or another.   If the court case is successful, producers and retailers will once again be free to sell unpasteurized almonds.  Many will still choose to pasteurize for liability reasons, but others will seek to fill the market niche represented by people who want their almonds raw.  In the meantime, the legal wranglings may drag on for years.
      Almonds can be stored for up to a year with no significant loss of nutrition or flavor.  Domestic almonds are harvested only once per year, so no matter where you buy them, you’ll know you’re always getting almonds that were harvested in the Fall.  The only difference is in how they were stored.  It is important that nuts be stored properly.  Refrigeration is recommended over freezing, because freezing kills vitamin E.  However, since the almonds I buy are not sprayed, fumigated, or treated in any way to prevent worm propagation and damage, I must freeze them for 7 days as soon as I receive them.  Since they have already been subjected to freezing, it doesn’t matter whether you store them in the fridge or the freezer.  Freezing probably extends their life a bit longer.
      Thanks and best wishes,
      Declare your independence from “health care” industries which thrive on misery!