Re: [RawPortland] Raw Vitality Retreat?

  • Gabrielle Chavez
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2011
      Hello Emily,
      Christ the Healer UCC is a Portland area experimental spiritual community, and member of the United Church of Christ denomination which in its 15 years has been active in health and peace work.  You can learn more about us on our websites, www.cthgathering.org and www.compassofgrace.com.  Many of us are raw foodists and for the last 5 years have sponsored the Raw and Living Spirit Retreat at Camp Adams.  Our sixth annual retreat is scheduled this year in August.  www.rawandlivingspirit.org.  We also sponsor a weekly raw food dinner and spiritual community gathering, Sunday Supper, whose menu we post on www.meetup.com/livingrawpdx.  I'm so sorry you only turned up a sex talk in your search instead of returning the call from our registrar when paypal notified us you were questioning that you had registered for Explore Raw Vitality. Being a non profit has allowed CtH UCC to ask for volunteers, raise scholarships, contract for liability insurance, and negotiate low enough rentals to put on these events of service to those interested in health and spiritual growth.  This service is one expression of our faith, and no one is required to follow what we believe.  Thank you for the opportunity to clear up any confusion.  By the way, the early bird registration fee you received only just covers the costs for the event and does not subsidize our operations. All of the members and friends of CtH UCC are volunteers, including myself, who give our time out of love and enthusiasm for the wider community. I do hope you will join us at Explore Raw Vitality.
      Gabrielle Chavez, pastor

      On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Emily Troper <emtroper@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      A few months ago, I registered for the raw food retreat happening later this month, and didn't get any kind of confirmation. I forgot that I had registered.

      I got my credit card statement in the mail a few weeks ago and noticed a $199 charge to something called Christ the Healer, with a phone number. I called the 800 number, hoping to find out why a religious organization had charged my credit card, and the recording directed me to call another number for more "sex talk". I contested the charges, as neither the name nor number rang any bells for either my husband or myself.

      Then, I got a call last week from someone at the raw vitality retreat asking why we had contested the charges and if I still wanted to attend the conference.

      So, I now understand the charges, but I am still a bit confused - is this raw retreat a religious gathering? Who is getting my money if I attend this event and what are they using it to promote?

      If anyone has any experience with this retreat, knows more about the organizers, or has any other insight, please let me know.

      Thank you!

      Emily

      sent from my iPhone