Kombucha and Water Kefir Grains

  • Constance Rojo
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2010

      I am looking to see if anyone has a Kombucha mother they would be willing to give me.  I live between Beaverton and Hillsboro in the Tansabourne area. It would be best if you live someplace west of Portland also.

      In addition does anyone have a kefir water grains/culture that is vegan that they can share some of? I am not really sure how that passing on works but I am sure I can find something on the web to help get me started if you do not know. I plan on using coconut milk.

      Thanks,

      Constance

      Constance(dot)rojo(at)gmail.com

    • nrevrac
      Message 2 of 5 , May 20, 2010

        If no one else responds with one, there are a few people listed on this exchange site: http://www.kombu.de/suche2.htm#usa .

        Message 3 of 5 , May 21, 2010

          thank you.  I saw that site last night but did not know how current it was...though I would check here on the list and then go from there.  Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 22, 2010
            I have used the commercial "off the shelf" Kombucha as a "mother".  As long as the culture is live, it works fine (the bottle label should indicate "live").

            Best of luck,
            Greg

            Message 5 of 5 , May 22, 2010

              My sister and I both tried that in exactly the same manner with the same off the shelf product.  Hers worked mine did not. Oh well…not a big deal.  I might try again or she might send me a baby.  She does not live near me…..

              Anyway I thought I would just check local and see if I could get one that way instead of trying to grow my own again.  There is more than one way to get the job done and I am willing to try and grow my own again.