Re: raw, vegan items newly for sale...

  • livinspoonful
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 11, 2004
      Way to go, Celeste! I'm glad to see more demand for raw products.

      I have a couple of thoughts to share.

      I spoke at length with a rep from Evolution juice several weeks ago at the People's farmer's
      market regarding pasteurized vs. unpasteurized, etc. He said that even some of the citrus
      can be pasteurized depending on the time of year. The way to tell the difference is to look
      for the expiration date on the container. The pasteurized containers will have only one
      expiration date. The unpasteurized juice actually has two dates, side by side, indicating
      the production date and the expiration date.

      With regard to Food Fight, I'm feeling a bit ambivilant. I also have had not such a good
      experience with them. I went down there last summer and dropped off samples. The two
      owners did not seem at all interested in what I had to offer. They hardly even were willing
      to take a couple of minutes to hear about how raw products are unique and valualbe to
      consumers. Ironically, they were not in the middle of doing anything when I showed
      up...just hangin'. Needless to say, they didn't make a very good impression on me.
      Personally, I will give my business to People's or Daily Grind...they're not that much farther
      away.

      www.foodfightgrocery.com, 502-233-3910.

      > They're now carrying both the Freshly Squeezed, Organic Orange and Grapefruit juices
      by Evolution (beware: the other Evolution juices are pasteurized).

      > They're also carrying Buddha Belly's wonderful Raw Energy Power Balls.
      >
      > Both items are very reasonably priced. They'll be passing out free samples of the juice
      this Sat, 12-2pm.

      > I was down there today and picked up a juice and some Power Balls.
      >
      > Hopefully these new products will generate strong support and interest from the raw
      food community, and they'll be encouraged to carry more raw, organic, etc products. I'm
      already becoming a nag in the hopes they'll start carrying Smart Monkey Food's Carob
      Brownies! :)

      > To live,
      > Celeste Crimi
      >

      > ---
    • Stan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2004
        I have been visiting pretty regularly with Chad and Emiko, the
        owners of food fight since they opened and have developed a
        friendship with them. I would just like to add to Jim's comment
        this perspective: Their intention was basically to have a Vegan junk
        food store, to have a store where a vegan can go to get the kind of
        food you just can't find at the health food stores. I think that
        their idea, whether or not I share their enthusiasm for junk food,
        is actually quite commendable in an ethical sense, and I am proud of
        them and what they are doing.

        When I began talking to them about raw, they did have kind of a
        negative spin on it, basically focusing on the price differences. I
        think by my continued continued association with them and them
        seeing the difference in me after my being raw for awhile, this has
        maybe helped to open them up to it a little. I am sure that Mike
        and Celeste have had an impact in this way as well as others that I
        wouldn't know to mention. I think that they are just unsure about
        whether their market segment will really go for raw stuff, but we
        also should remember that everyone opens up in different ways at
        different times. I think that even if we can't buy much there, it
        is good to support them for what they do have, which is a store with
        a conscience.

        -Stan

        PS this would be agreat conversation to have in the RawPortland.org
        forums... :)

        --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "livinspoonful" <jim@l...>

      • Celeste Crimi
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 12, 2004
          the grapefruit juice i purchased came in a container with 2 dates, so that is great.

          i had previously also gotten the 'shut down' reaction from the ff! staff when i'd sweetly, coyly asked if they'd 'sold out' of all their raw offerings.  but since i'm also a person who externally 'shuts down' to new ideas, but internally i'm intrigued, i understand that response.

          still, i'm pleasantly surprised that they're now carrying raw/vegan/organic items, and hope for more.  i think a strongly positive consumer reaction can help that happen.

          i think it's so important to support vegan business.  for one thing, i think it's easier for someone to convert from cooked vegan to raw (organic) vegan, vs. if they're trying to switch to raw from being a cooked ovo-lacto veg, or from an omnivorous space.

          so, veganism is a cousin diet to raw veganism, and can act as a conduit/transition to raw.  and it's easier for organic to start to make sense, as well, since vegans often care about the environment/animals/health--all motivations to shop organic, once the argument is presented.

          also, of course, the people who are getting our 'raw dollar vote' at ff! are spending the money on cruelty-free stuff.  they're not going to be turning around and spending it on leather.  So that expands the circle of kindness automatically.

          now, i have something that i need education about, pls.  Stan, you mentioned this would be a topic to take to one of the rawportland forums.  isn't this a rawportland forum?  why are there several?  can you pls explain?

          thanks,
          celeste

          wrote:
          > Way to go, Celeste! I'm glad to see more demand for raw products.
          >
          > I have a couple of thoughts to share.
          >
          > I spoke at length with a rep from Evolution juice several weeks
          ago at the People's farmer's
          > market regarding pasteurized vs. unpasteurized, etc. He said that
          even some of the citrus
          > can be pasteurized depending on the time of year. The way to tell
          the difference is to look
          > for the expiration date on the container. The pasteurized
          containers will have only one
          > expiration date. The unpasteurized juice actually has two dates,
          side by side, indicating
          > the production date and the expiration date.
          >
          > With regard to Food Fight, I'm feeling a bit ambivilant. I also
          have had not such a good
          > experience with them. I went down there last summer and dropped
          off samples. The two
          > owners did not seem at all interested in what I had to offer. They
          hardly even were willing
          > to take a couple of minutes to hear about how raw products are
          unique and valualbe to
          > consumers. Ironically, they were not in the middle of doing
          anything when I showed
          > up...just hangin'. Needless to say, they didn't make a very good
          impression on me.
          > Personally, I will give my business to People's or Daily
          Grind...they're not that much farther
          > away.
          >

          > --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "Celeste Crimi"
          <rcrimi14@h...> wrote:
          > > ..at Food Fight! Vegan Grocery on Division St. in Portland,
          http://
          > www.foodfightgrocery.com, 502-233-3910.
          > >
          > > They're now carrying both the Freshly Squeezed, Organic Orange
          and Grapefruit juices
          > by Evolution (beware:  the other Evolution juices are
          pasteurized).

          > > They're also carrying Buddha Belly's wonderful Raw Energy Power
          Balls.

          > > Both items are very reasonably priced.  They'll be passing out
          free samples of the juice
          > this Sat, 12-2pm.
          > >
          > > I was down there today and picked up a juice and some Power
          Balls.

          > > Hopefully these new products will generate strong support and
          interest from the raw
          > food community, and they'll be encouraged to carry more raw,
          organic, etc products.  I'm
          > already becoming a nag in the hopes they'll start carrying Smart
          Monkey Food's Carob
          > Brownies!  :)
          > >
          > > To live,
          > > Celeste Crimi
          > >

          > > ---

        • Stan
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 13, 2004
            I mentioned that this would be a good discussion to have in the
            RawPortland.ORG forums(the forums section of RawPortland.ORG). My
            original intention on creating the RawPortland.ORG website was to
            create a space where all the features but none of the advertising
            were on a nice, pleasant looking site. I am very pleased that many
            of you have signed up at the site, bu t a little disheartened that
            this yahoo group still gets more activity than the RawPortland.ORG
            site. I haven't received any feedback as to how I have missed the
            mark, so I am just a little confused. The way I see it, there are a
            few possible reasons:

            1. People don't realize the site exists.
            2. People are just using what they have always used and are slow to
            change. ( I thought that since this yahoo group was so new that
            people would be fairly recepive to moving to a new site)
            3. I have somehow missed the mark in my design of the site, and
            people don't find it as usable.

            Although I talked to a few people about whether this community would
            benefit from and migrate to a new site, I probably just should have
            openned up the question here through the message group. Perhaps the
            users here just don't want anything different. That's OK, I just
            wanted to provide a site that is more visually pleasing and
            congruent with our values(no ads from McDonald's, etc.).

            Anyway, that's why I made that remark, thanks for asking. And
            anyone who has any comments for me about the RawPortland.ORG site,
            please let me know, here or through email at stan@....