Re: [RawPortland] Slightly OT -- Vaccine-Autism HOW ABOUT DMSO?

  • GENE YOUNGER
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2010
      NORA
      ABOUT DMSO?
      Do you feel it is OK to use topically for torn ligaments
    • Cori Barth
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2010
        I know you  didn't ask me, but DMSO is highly unstable and has contributed to at least one reported death.  It's massively synthesized and can cause explosions.  It also is such a fast delivery system that if you brush up against any other noxious chemical while still having dmso on your skin you could be poisoned very quickly.  My two cents.  Cori

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2010
          Hi Gene,
          Torn ligaments will heal on their own to the fullest extent possible with rest, proper food, sunshine and all the other requisites of life.  Depending on the location of the tear, sometimes they cannot heal on their own and surgery is the only answer.

          DMSO will not assist the process of healing a torn ligament, and neither will any other substance, applied topically or otherwise.  DMSO has been used as an analgesic, blocking the flow of pain along the nerve, and it also has been shown to decrease inflammation.  Neither of these are positive outcomes, because inflammation is an important part of the healing process and although pain remedies are sometimes necessary, their use should always be minimized and seen as a compromise, because they slow down healing.

          Best wishes,