Re: [RawPortland] Durian fruit

  • Nora Lenz
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2010

      Brandy,
      Is it frozen or fresh?  (The way you can tell is that frozen is always sold in a net.)  When is the last time you saw it there?  I'm just curious as the store here in Seattle where I normally buy it tells me she heard from her supplier that "something" happened in Thailand recently that disrupted the frozen durian market, making it unavailable till likely sometime in February.  That makes it sound like something unusual happened, but it might just be a normal seasonal gap.  I just don't remember it happening this early in past years.  We have had intermittent access to fresh, tho (@$5.29/lb).
      Thanks,
      Nora

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2010
        There was fresh Durian fruit still in the pod at Uwajimaya in Beaverton a week ago- don't know if it's still there, but they almost always have it!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2010
          you can get FRESH durian and frozen prepackaged durian at this asian market in town. The fresh durians are pretty expensive about $30 - $40 each, but it's fun to finally try a fresh one and see the difference. personally I like eating then semi frozen much better and so usually just buy the 2 serving frozen packages for $4 each. here's the link:
          http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS243US243&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=asian+market+portland+powell&fb=1&gl=us&hq=asian+market&hnear=portland+powell&cid=7824892708620621805