Food addiction in children

  • annalisejones@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2009
      Does anybody else feed their children some cooked food, and having problems with addiction? We eat high-raw, low-fat. But not all raw. And I don't want to. But my son has some crazy food addiction and it really hurts his digestion. He will eat 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, and when I say "that's all" he cries. (He is 4 years old) I feel like the meanest mom telling him "No, you're not really hungry" when he says he is, etc. It makes eating with others very embarassing because nobody understand food addiction, and why would I restrict my son's eating? etc... I just feel very embarassed when this happens. It's hard for me because I love social eating and we actually have some friends who eat whole foods, low-fat, vegan meals but still we always seem to have an issue and I end up taking my crying son to the other room to talk it out.

      Just wondering if there is anybody else out there?? I have never heard anybody else say this before.... Well I have heard some parents say their kids love to eat but the parents don't seem to mind. (the kids are chubby)
    • Gena Perkins
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15, 2009
        I just want to say thanks for caring for your child. I wish my parents had been more helpful with me with setting boundaries like this. As a consequence, my digestion now is really messed up.  I eat healthy (mostly raw) now because it is all my body will tolerate. I mean, I guess that's a good thing, sort of. Anyway children learn these habits young, and it's wonderful I think, those who have parents who help them set the boundaries young, it will be so much easier later (and the physical consequences less severe, or maybe non-existent).

[...]

      • Margie
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2009
          I have a question. Is he gobbling it up or is he chewing. When I was growing up I confused a fork with the shovel :)

[...]

        • R
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 2009
            Me too, and I messed up my digestion. I went to see a naturopath about it a couple years ago and I was low on microflora and stomach acid as well as some food allergies. When I follow the directions for these things, I actually do pretty well. I also take enzymes with cooked meal. I also discovered that I have rarely ever listened to my body and waiting until I was really hungry to eat a meal, drinking water first, eating slowly and enjoying my food. I found that helps TREMENDOUSLY. I thought I couldn't digest anything except properly combined raw foods, but it turns out HOW I eat is much more important than WHAT I eat. I've been eating cooked dinners lately and delighted to see for the first time in years I can actually digest them - as long as I eat RESPONSIBLY.

            --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, Gena Perkins <gena23224@...> wrote:

            > I just want to say thanks for caring for your child. I wish my parents had been more helpful with me with setting boundaries like this. As a consequence, my digestion now is really messed up.  I eat healthy (mostly raw) now because it is all my body will tolerate. I mean, I guess that's a good thing, sort of. Anyway children learn these habits young, and it's wonderful I think, those who have parents who help them set the boundaries young, it will be so much easier later (and the physical consequences less severe, or maybe non-existent).

          • brion.oliver
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 17, 2009
              Hello!

              With developing children and diet, there are a complexity of issues that can contribute to the type of behavior you are witnessing. My best recommendation to you would be to consult with a nutritional expert who can assist you in addressing the specific needs of your son at this specific moment in his life.

              I know of three local nutritionists who could be of service to you and your family, and there are likely many more accessible through this list or other raw foods information venues in town: Andrea Nakayama (http://replenishpdx.com/), Tashi Rana (http://www.fieldofgreens.us/), and Jenna Abernathy (http://wwww.openheartwellness.com/).

              Of the three, Andrea Nakayama specializes in working nutritionally with families and children on issues of mental and emotional health and wellbeing, including behavioral issues. She has a lot of experience with the types of issue you are hoping to address, but despite being a strong proponent for raw foods generally, her focus with children is not 100% raw.

              Tashi Rana holds an MA in Vegan/Live Food Nutrition from Dr. Gabriel Cousens' Tree of Life, and is an excellent resource for live food nutrition.

              Jenna Abernathy is a health counselor, massage therapist, and yoga teacher with a focus on  integration within the health and wellbeing lifestyle.

              Any of the three should be able to assist you in addressing your current need.

              Be well!

              -Brion
              Brion Oliver
              The Raw Matrix
              Raw Events, Foods, and Inspiration
              RawMatrix.net
              OregonRawResource.org
              503-312-0596

            • wMilmoe@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 18, 2009
                nice points Brion!

                The great aspect about these consultants is that they also know how it is often a psychological or emotional reason for an eating imbalance and your observations about your son and the interactions or lack there of before the disturbing behavior will also help them to identify the possible causes.

                excerpt:

                I know of three local nutritionists who could be of service to you and
                your family, and there are likely many more accessible through this list
                or other raw foods information venues in town: Andrea Nakayama
                (http://replenishpdx .com/), Tashi Rana (http://www.fieldofg reens.us/),
                and Jenna Abernathy (http://wwww. openheartwellnes s.com/).

                In love, trust and cooperation

                Bill