Re: any local raw/juice retreats?

  • brion.oliver
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2009
      Hi, Emily!

      Congratulations on getting to the point where you're looking for assistance in making a change; it's a spark worth following!

      I'd recommend that you look into the Cell Rejuvenation Center in SW Portland in John's Landing. They have close associations to Dr. Gabriel Cousens and Dr. David Jubb, provide colon hydrotherapy, run a raw foods kitchen making foods for purchase, and may be able to do juicing for you. Check out their LifeFood Application and Cellular Feast offerings!
      http://www.cellrejuvenationcenter.com/nourishment.htm

      You may also find it useful to work with a nutritionist oriented towards working within the family, who can coach you on strategies for meeting your nutritional needs and those of your family and could coach you on the very type of transition that you are looking at doing. Andrea Nakayama of ReplenishPDX comes to mind, and she can probably refer you to other practitioners in the local area. http://www.replenishpdx.com/

      If you are looking for more social support, Meetup.com can be your friend. There are four local raw foods meetups, including my meetup group Living Raw in Portland, which hosts a weekly catered mal and fellowship in addition to educational events. http://www.meetup.com/LivingRawPDX/

      That meetup and other groups can be found on the Oregon Raw Resource webpages: http://oregonrawresource.org/

      Best of luck to you in your quest for transformation! Keep us posted on how things go for you and your family!

      -Brion

      Brion Oliver
      The Raw Matrix
      Raw Events, Foods, and Inspiration
      RawMatrix.net
      OurCommunityPantry.com
      503-312-0596

      --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, Emily Troper <emtroper@...> wrote:

> [...]

      > Any ideas or advice or leads greatly appreciated!!

    • Emily Troper
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2009
        Brion,

        Thank you so much for these wonderful links and ideas, your help is much appreciated!

        Emily
      • Emily Troper
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2010
          Hello beautiful raw people!

          Here I am again, still looking for help for the raw life. I wrote the below in late November 2009, then we moved (we have an acre in the city!), and then a large tumor was discovered in my right lung - it was completely blocking my bronchi and therefore also the two lower lobes of my lung - so pneumonia was recurring and THAT was the cause of my breathing problems. I had a bronchoscopy (a terrible procedure!) and they were unable to biopsy it, so in late April, I underwent major open chest surgery to remove the tumor and 2/3 of my right lung. It turns out the tumor was a carcinoid - low-level malignancy, neuroendocrine, and not associated with smoking, and they were able to remove it all - but the surgery, 10-day hospital stay (including several days in ICU) and LONG and very painful recovery have been challenging to say the least.

          I have a ten-inch scar across my back and side, and chronic nerve pain from where they cut my intercostal muscles and spread my ribs apart to access my lung. I also have four kids to raise. I HAVE to get control of my life and health once and for all. I need help/support/advice. Anyone here have MAJOR health issues and turn to a raw food diet to help heal? Everyone around me thinks I'm crazy for continuing to talk about going raw after all this...but I still truly feel it's the way to health for me.

          Thanks!

          Emily