Re: [RawPortland] Dental health

  • Nora Lenz
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
      Before raw:  Receding gums (even had periodontal grafting surgery) and periodic dental crises that involved root canals, crowns, etc.  I was strict with my dental hygiene, brushing twice daily, flossing every night.  Had dental visits twice yearly for cleaning, during which cavities and disintegrating fillings were always found.  Lots of follow up visits.

      After raw:  Stopped going to the dentist for cleanings and routine exams.  Otherwise, my dental hygiene routine has not really changed except that I now rinse after I eat, and rinse with a mixture of water, clove oil and baking soda every night.  I've had one recurring dental problem that was diagnosed as a crumbling crown foundation (cement wears out), but have not had it repaired.  I expect I will have to eventually.  It flares up when I overeat, don't get enough sleep or eat too much fat, or a combination of these.  Otherwise, no dental problems.  No receding gums.  I experimented with abandoning my dental hygiene routine for a couple years after going raw and got a gaping cavity in the facial side of one prominent tooth.  Within two years of going back to my routine and adding rinsing after meals, the cavity filled in with new tooth material.  I think eating less fat helped too.

      The raw diet does not cause more dental problems than the cooked diet does.  Raw fooders make some of the same mistakes that cooked fooders make, which lead to dental problems.  Primarily, overeating, eating of inappropriate foods and food combinations, and lack of dental hygiene.

      Nora

      www.RawSchool.com

      www.RawTreasure.com

      I am really curious to hear all of your experiences and opinions on this.

      How was your dental health before going raw, and what is it now?
      dental hygiene routine changed?

      Is it normal to get receeding gums on the raw diet? Sounds like it to me.

      Anybody know why this is?

    • girl about town
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
        Has anyone here heard of tooth soap? I have a link somewhere in my files, I will find it and post if you are interested. It is a product designed for the raw diet and to not contain all the chemicals and artificial sweeteners found in toothpaste. Also, did you know that TOM's of Main is owned by colgate??? This is new information I have just discovered....sad what is happening to our food supply, which carries over to other items hunh?

        Blessings!
        Celeste in Vancouver

        --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, annalisejones@... wrote:

        > I am really curious to hear all of your experiences and opinions on this.
        >
        > How was your dental health before going raw, and what is it now?
        > How are your childrens'?
        > Has your dental hygiene routine changed?
        >
        > Is it normal to get receeding gums on the raw diet? Sounds like it to me.
        >
        > Anybody know why this is?

      • girl about town
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
          http://www.automateyourwebsite.com/app/?af=1011187

          Here is the llink with the information. Let me know if it doesn't work.

          Peace~

          --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, annalisejones@... wrote:

          > I am really curious to hear all of your experiences and opinions on this.
          >
          > How was your dental health before going raw, and what is it now?
          > How are your childrens'?
          > Has your dental hygiene routine changed?
          >
          > Is it normal to get receeding gums on the raw diet? Sounds like it to me.
          >
          > Anybody know why this is?

        • Stacey Fassino
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
            Hi Celeste!

            I would highly, highly like to recommend Uncle Harry's Tooth Powder; it is an unbelievably excellent product!   Also, for dental health, essential oils seem to work nice (as an adjunct.)  Tooth & Gum Elixer,  is a good one; you can also make your own blend, or do something simple like mix a few drops tea tree
            oil with water and use as a rinse.)

            Uncle Harry's can be purchased at Mirador and at People's and Alberta co-ops.

            Haven't tried toothsoaps, the idea of soap in my mouth never resonated; but I think that some people like using them?   And I feel that it is best to stay away from most toothpastes because of the ingredients.

            Best Wishes,
            Stacey

          • pdxdirt@intergate.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
              A couple of years ago, several on this list wrote on the dentists they
              visited.
              Dr. Jeffrey Williamson was mentioned a few times. I had a checkup at
              Centerpointe Dental, but nothing major. This is one of the few
              dentists listed in the Redirect Guide.

              I saw this review (with ratings). Very strange, either 5 stars were
              given or 1 star, except for one rating.
              http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3720190853

              Is this because Dr. Williamson and Centerpointe are alternative or
              actual experiences? The office seems to be on track, but a mere
              checkup is easy to give a good impression.
              Gentech got 46 reviews nearly all of them 5 stars - very suspect as
              they were posted in just a few days.

              mel

              Quoting Stacey Fassino <sfassino@...>:

              > Hi Celeste!
              >
              > I would highly, highly like to recommend Uncle Harry's Tooth Powder;
              > it is an unbelievably excellent product!   Also, for dental health,
              > essential oils seem to work nice (as an adjunct.)  Tooth & Gum
              > Elixer,  is a good one; you can also make your own blend, or do
              > something simple like mix a few drops tea tree oil with water and
              > use as a rinse.)�
              >
              > Uncle Harry's can be purchased at Mirador and at People's and
              > Alberta co-ops.�
              >
              > Haven't tried toothsoaps, the idea of soap in my mouth never
              > resonated; but I think that some people like using them?   And I
              > feel that it is best to stay away from most toothpastes because of
              > the ingredients.
              >
              > Best Wishes,
              > Stacey

            • Christine Cuilwik
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009
                I too use Uncle Harry's tooth "paste". It's great stuff. I used to use
                tooth soap but it takes a ling time to foam, leaving a sticky soap
                residue on my teeth. Peoples sells Harry's. I also love Living
                Libations tooth oils... It's a raw vegan beauty company out of Canada
                and ALL their products are amazing but I highly recommend the yogi
                tooth serum or other tooth oil...I keep one in my car bc i love to
                brush my teeth!

                Oh and one other amazing, raw vibrational tooth product is Ascended
                Health's Oralive. They are also a raw company out of LA I think, that
                does *amazing* things with this and other products...infusing them
                with subtle energies, charging w lemurian crystals and marine
                phytoplankton . This product has probiotics in it too! This one stains
                the brush... It's a charcoal-colored paste-- but it's the only oral
                care item which you are encouraged to leave on.

                Any which way, toothpastes usually have glycerin, which can over time
                coat teeth and inhibit them from staying clean. The 4 products above
                area better bet.

                Sent from my iPhone
              • sunnymilanna
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009
                  I would avoid him like the plague. I had a terrible experience with him and his obnoxious office help. You can also tell by his extremely upscale expensive office where his patient's money goes.

                  There is a great dentist in Fisher's Landing...she is also an MD (DMD)...she believes in Holistic Dentistry. Email me directly, Celeste, if you want her name and I will look in my files to find her name for you.