Re: [RawPortland] Re: Durian web pages

  • Jeff Rogers
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
      To me, it's delicious and tastes like a honey pudding. The texture is usually soft and creamy. Once in a while I'll find one that is more firm and less sweet, but that is rare. Some that don't like durian might say it tastes like old socks! (I'm not sure how people would know how old socks taste!?) You need to taste it for yourself. Some people have the taste bud for it, some don't.

      Durian also comes in a 1-pound, shrink-wrapped frozen package with no skin or seeds. That's a good way to try it. They are consistently sweet and there is not as much, in case you're not a fan.

      Jeff

      On Nov 5, 2009, at 11:31 PM, sunnymilanna wrote:

      What does it taste like...?

    • Nora Lenz
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
        Thanks for the info, Jeff.

        It's almost as difficult to describe the taste and appeal of durian as it is to know how to choose a good one, and getting a good one is the key to having a good novel experience with durian (as bad ones can be *really* bad :)).  The best way to get an idea what durian tastes like without knowing how to choose a good one or dealing with the expense and mess is to find a store that carries freeze-dried durian.  Usually the Asian stores carry it.  You can also order it on line.  Obviously the texture is going to be radically different but the taste is pretty much the same.  And freeze drying apparently does less molecular damage than heat drying, so freeze-dried fruit is actually easier to digest than regular dried fruit.  One caveat:  it can be habit-forming! :)

        I've gotten some very good frozen durians lately so I think they're just starting to come into season.  Freezing doesn't harm the taste of durian, btw, but it really messes with the texture.  The chewier parts of a durian are usually pleasant to eat when fresh but freezing really ruins them, imo.  I was always kind of grossed out by the stringy fibrous parts of the durian, so what I did in the past was to throw the whole thing (sans skin and seeds) into my Blendtec.  However, I found that while it made all of it very creamy, it also brought the sweetness and flavor down a notch since the less sweet fibrous parts were blended in as well.  The strategy I've used lately makes the whole durian eating experience much more pleasant.  What I do is buy 2 durians, partially thaw them (I've found they're better if they're not completely thawed), open both and only eat the sweet, rich, creamy parts from each (which will vary from one durian to another).  I haven't yet found a canine who will turn down durian so whatever lucky dogs happen to be around at the time (I board them) get the chewy parts I would otherwise discard.  :)

        Best wishes,
        Nora