a Raw Thanksgiving

  • girl about town
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
      Hi Everyone-
      I wonder if anyone here who has children could maybe share a few no fail recipes for Thanksgiving? What can I make that will still make everyone "feel" like they are having a traditional dinner.

      How do you all feel about Potatoes? I know you can't eat them raw, but are they a horrible vegetable to have? I found that I grew a lot of root veggies this year, and yet, they are usually not on my menu of things to eat.

      Thanks for any help and encouragement

      Celeste in Vancouver
    • Tatyana
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2009
        Hi Celeste,

        I think Thanksgiving is a good day for folks to give themselves and their families more fun food choices, without having to feel guilty.

        I imagine you know that sweet potatoes are lower on the glycemic index than regular potatoes, and are more nutritious as well.  I'm sure you can do a ton with them, including mashed or roasted as fries.

        If you do want to go the conventional potato route, then red potatoes are a good choice, since they are lower in starch than other varieties of potato.  I like to steam them, and then finish them off by roasting them at 450 degrees with raw coconut oil and a crust of coarse sea salt, chopped herbs, and fresh ground pepper.  I like to throw some cayenne pepper and mustard powder on mine for a spicy kick, but not everyone likes the spice.

        If spaghetti squash is available, you can roast that, and then remove the strands with a fork, and saute the strands like pasta.  I've used roasted garlic that I made into paste and fresh whole basil leaves.  It came out delicious!

        I've also stuffed zucchini and squash (you can also use mini eggplant if you like it) with quinoa, and a combo of finely diced veggies, like red bell pepper, tomato, celery, scallions, carrots, onion, garlic, etc.  I lightly saute the veggies first, and cook the quinoa separately, then I slice the squash/zucchini in half - length-wise, scoop out the middle, fill with the veggie/quinoa mixture and roast them at about 350-375.  I don't remember exactly how long, but I'm sure it's not too long before they appear roasted.  I'm also thinking you could grill the zucchini and squash first, and then finish them off in the broiler for a minute or two after you stuff them.

        I love quinoa, but if you don't, I'm sure this could work with another grain, or even just the diced veggies.  If you use grains, you can omit the tomatoes if you're sensitive to combining starches and acids.  I love quinoa by itself, and I use raw coconut oil (about 1 tbsp per cup of grain) when cooking it, in addition to a good amount of curry powder, and my usual sea salt, cayenne powder, mustard powder mix.

        On Thanksgiving a few years ago, I made julienne slices of raw veggies that I thought paired well with seaweed, and wrapped them with nori sheets covered in my own dressing I made with avocados and all my favorite spices.  I don't remember what exactly I put in the dressing, but I think it was pretty basic.  I think I used the avocado with Bragg liquid aminos, grated ginger, and maybe cucumber and spices.  For the filling I used julienned cukes (english or asian), bell peppers, radishes (red and daikon), grated or diced ginger, avocado slices, scallions, sprouts (I used onion) and fennel.  I spread the dressing on the nori sheets, and layered my veggies and made a hand roll.  This could be fun if you have kids around that want to help with the meal prep.  The elegance of the plating here is unimportant, since it's fun to make and tastes great!

        Finally, you might enjoy a beet based, Russian salad called vinigret.  There are slight variations in the way people make it, but I've included two links so you can see what you prefer to use.  Although it uses cooked veggies, I'm sure you can make a raw version as well.

        http://beyondrussia.blogspot.com/2009/09/vinegret-russian-beet-salad.html

        http://www.recipezaar.com/Russian-Beet-Salad-140851

        Personally, I'd go with peas, not beans.  If you're going to use dill pickles, try Sweet Creek Foods dills made with apple cider vinegar.  I think they're super delicious and they're made in Oregon.

        I know that these are not traditional Thanksgiving recipes, and they are mostly cooked, but if nothing else, I hope they give you some inspiration.  I find that Thanksgiving gives me cravings for a warming, hearty meal.  In the past, when I tried to pretend it was Summer, and worked extra hard to not give in to those (normal, healthy) cravings, I would find myself eating everything in site on the days following Thanksgiving. I think this is one day when we can throw some caution to the wind and enjoy what we crave.

        Enjoy your holidays (everyone), and have fun with your food (the cooking and the eating)!

        Tatyana

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2009
          Hi, Celeste,

          I did a search for you and found these links with recipes that might fit your request:

          http://prettysmartrawfoodideas.wordpress.com/holiday-recipes-thanksgiving-christmas/

          http://www.vt-fiddle.com/rawfood/weekly/2006-11-21.php (page down to see 4 nice recipes...and, you can find more recipes in the 'archives' link in the first paragraph at the top of the page)

          http://shanghaimonkey.blogspot.com/2009/10/raw-vegan-thanksgiving-recipes.html

          http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=555499