Re: 80/10/10

  • annalisejones@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2009
      During the 2nd and 3rd trimesters of my pregnancy I avoided most all overt fats. So I ate an abundance of fresh fruit, steamed vegetables, and occasionally cooked whole starch foods. I had to avoid overt fats to control candida because in pregnancy I am very susceptible to yeast infections.

      Of course healthful fats are necessary to grow a baby. Let's say my fetus is 24 ounces. This fetus needs omega fatty acids to grow his brain cells. His brain cells themselves don't amount to 1-2 ounces, so why would you need more fat weight than that? Yes, a fetus needs fatty acids. Yes, it is vital. Do they need a pound of nuts daily? Come on, think sensibly. A common misunderstanding in nutrition is that a given nutrient is important, so that must equate to eating a good deal of it. But that's a false idea.

      It's similar with atheletes. They need MORE nutrients = more FOOD than the average person. They don't need a different RATIO. Just MORE FOOD.

      Right now I am breastfeeding. Should I increase my fats, compared to the regular person? Of course. But should I increase my fat RATIO? No reason at all to do that. If you eat 3 apples for lunch, and I eat 4, then I just consumed more fat than you. I also consumed more water, vitamins, and minerals, ALL OF WHICH a breastfeeding mother requires more of.

      I believe that's an explanation Dr. Graham would be proud of :)