Re: [RawPortland] Re: low iron

  • Stacey Fassino
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
      I want to recommend discernment with raw cacao usage.  Although David Wolfe is a huge advocate, many raw  "well-knowns" recommend against eating cacao on a regular basis for "health benefits."  The toxic effects off-set any benefits.  http://www.living-foods.com/articles/toxiccacao.html

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
        Thank you, Stacey,

        I have known people who were badly affected by raw chocolate.

        I think it is important that we in the raw food movement be offering only the very most healing food in these times of health crisis.

        We have so much of value to give to the world.

        It is important that we are completely trustworthy.

        Happiness, Peace, Health and Abundance for All!

        Many Blessings to All,
        Pamela Melcher

        I want to recommend discernment with raw cacao usage.  Although David Wolfe is a huge advocate, many raw  "well-knowns" recommend against eating cacao on a regular basis for "health benefits."  The toxic effects off-set any benefits.  http://www.living- foods.com/ articles/ toxiccacao. html

        Hi Kerry, I did a bit more research and found that raw cacao contains 314% of the US RDA of iron per one ounce serving. Raw chocolate, not a bad way to up the iron intake! :)
        (sourc; Sunfood Nutrition, based on research of David Wolfe)

        --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, "sunnymilanna" <sunnymilanna@ ...> wrote:

        > Hi, Kerry,
        >
        > Low iron levels are pretty serious so you should look for other ways to get your iron levels up more quickly. You should also have regular blood draws to check on your iron levels until you see they are up. You might even have some issues with your iron and it might not have to do with mainly your diet.
        >
        > You can buy Floradix Iron and Herbs at the helth food store...
        >
        > Also, Yellow Dock is an herb that herbalists use to up iron levels...here is some info:
        >
        > http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/15/58.cfm
        >
        > Hope this helps...
        >
        > Aimee
        >
        > --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, KERRY MATSON <kerrymum@> wrote:
        > >

        > > hi everyone ... i've been raw for 9 months now. i went to donate blood today & my iron was too low to donate. (when i donated in july, i was just barely high enough to give.) i put lots of spinach in my smoothies and i eat plenty of other leafy greens in my salads, but i'm obviously not getting enough iron. i'd love any input/suggestions you can share with me to get my iron levels up. thanks for your time, kerry

      • Cori Barth
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
          Another thing- if your iron is too low to donate, it doesn't mean you are anemic, or even irregular- they actually look for iron on the higher end of the spectrum, so don't worry unless you are very low.

          I want to recommend discernment with raw cacao usage.  Although David Wolfe is a huge advocate, many raw  "well-knowns" recommend against eating cacao on a regular basis for "health benefits."  The toxic effects off-set any benefits.  http://www.living- foods.com/ articles/ toxiccacao. html

          Hi Kerry, I did a bit more research and found that raw cacao contains 314% of the US RDA of iron per one ounce serving. Raw chocolate, not a bad way to up the iron intake! :)
          (sourc; Sunfood Nutrition, based on research of David Wolfe)

          --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, "sunnymilanna" <sunnymilanna@ ...> wrote:

          > Hi, Kerry,
          >
          > Low iron levels are pretty serious so you should look for other ways to get your iron levels up more quickly. You should also have regular blood draws to check on your iron levels until you see they are up. You might even have some issues with your iron and it might not have to do with mainly your diet.
          >
          > You can buy Floradix Iron and Herbs at the helth food store...
          >
          > Also, Yellow Dock is an herb that herbalists use to up iron levels...here is some info:
          >
          > http://www.motherna ture.com/ Library/Bookshel f/Books/15/ 58.cfm
          >
          > Hope this helps...
          >
          > Aimee
          >
          > --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, KERRY MATSON <kerrymum@> wrote:
          > >

          > > hi everyone ... i've been raw for 9 months now. i went to donate blood today & my iron was too low to donate. (when i donated in july, i was just barely high enough to give.) i put lots of spinach in my smoothies and i eat plenty of other leafy greens in my salads, but i'm obviously not getting enough iron. i'd love any input/suggestions you can share with me to get my iron levels up. thanks for your time, kerry

        • Jeff Rogers
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
            Here is a link to an extensive list of whole foods ad their iron
            content. I have found no listing of cacao beans or nibs from the USDA
            Nutrient Database to confirm iron content.

            http://www.soystache.com/iron.htm

            Thanks,

            Jeff
          • nightowlnation
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 9, 2009
              Floradix is a vegetarian liquid source of iron. First learned of it from an herbalist I studied under and worked for a few decades ago. I've noticed it's a bit expensive here in Portland. But if you're ever in dire need of therapeutic dosing, it's amazing. I've had intermittent issues with anemia and many of the standard supplements literally leave, for me, an unmanageable taste behind. Floradix is also strong but much easier on the gag-from-bad-taste-reflex. It can be found in well stocked herbal and/or supplements shops and well stocked health food stores. The Vitamin Shoppe carries it and tends to have lower prices.