Re: [RawPortland] low iron

  • Mike Snyder
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hi Kerry,

      The Klamath blue-green algae is a great source of Iron. It has 350.70 mcg of Iron per one gram of E3 Live powder. There is 121.69 mcg of iron in one tablespoon of E3 Live liquid.

      You can view the nutrient composition at
      http://www.TheRawDiet.com/pdf/data_sheet_frozen.pdf
      http://www.TheRawDiet.com/pdf/data_sheet_dry.pdf

      The Hippocrates Health Institute has a product called Ocean Energy,
      http://store.hippocratesinst.org/LifeGive-Ocean-Energy-90-Caps-P120C17.aspx
      "Ocean Energy helps increase Hemoglobin (iron) levels in the blood."

      Good luck!

      Mike Snyder

      PS. This is a quote from Viktorus Kulvinskas about the Klamath algae and anemia:

      http://www.TheRawDiet.com/pdf/Viktoras_klamath_algae.pdf

      The chlorophyll factor in Super Blue Green Algae is ten times that found in
      grasses. The blue-green algae found in the Upper Klamath Lake is the highest
      source of chlorophyll you can find; it’s content is 2 to 3 times that found in
      chlorella or spirulina.

      This high concentration of chlorophyll leads to overcoming anemia. Hundreds of
      papers have been published on the work that has been done with crude
      chlorophyll regarding its relationship to anemia.

      It has been found that all forms of anemia--including pernicious anemia and
      anemia of unidentified sources--responded to the therapeutic effect of crude
      chlorophyll. Anemia is extreme deficiency of oxygen. We cannot live too long
      without oxygen.

    • sunnymilanna
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
        Hi, Kerry,

        Low iron levels are pretty serious so you should look for other ways to get your iron levels up more quickly. You should also have regular blood draws to check on your iron levels until you see they are up. You might even have some issues with your iron and it might not have to do with mainly your diet.

        You can buy Floradix Iron and Herbs at the helth food store...

        Also, Yellow Dock is an herb that herbalists use to up iron levels...here is some info:

        http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/15/58.cfm

        Hope this helps...

        Aimee

        --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, KERRY MATSON <kerrymum@...> wrote:

        > hi everyone ... i've been raw for 9 months now. i went to donate blood today & my iron was too low to donate. (when i donated in july, i was just barely high enough to give.) i put lots of spinach in my smoothies and i eat plenty of other leafy greens in my salads, but i'm obviously not getting enough iron. i'd love any input/suggestions you can share with me to get my iron levels up. thanks for your time, kerry

      • veganchef16
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
          I do believe there is a connection of iron and Vitamin C intake but cannot remember the details. I would look up the Vegetarian and Vegan Nutrition book's take on this... Tammy Russell is a local nutritionist who is vegan and might have some answers for you.

          --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, KERRY MATSON <kerrymum@...> wrote:

          > hi everyone ... i've been raw for 9 months now. i went to donate blood today & my iron was too low to donate. (when i donated in july, i was just barely high enough to give.) i put lots of spinach in my smoothies and i eat plenty of other leafy greens in my salads, but i'm obviously not getting enough iron. i'd love any input/suggestions you can share with me to get my iron levels up. thanks for your time, kerry

        • Bellinanina
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
            David Wolfe is a good resource for this type of information. In his book 'The Sunfood Diet Success System' he goes into great detail of vitamins, minerals, nutrients as well as assimilation and food combining. I have yet to find a more informative vegan resource!

            http://www.sunfood.com/buy/3/52/5/The-Sunfood-Diet-Success-System---7th-Edition--by-David-Wolfe/0003.aspx

            :)
            I read somewhere that suggested eating too much food containing phytic acid can lead to mineral deficiencies.
            I have to wonder about fresh young Thai coconuts. I know they contain iron as well as many other important minerals. It could be worth looking into!

            Good luck, Kerry!

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
              Hi Kerry, I did a bit more research and found that raw cacao contains 314% of the US RDA of iron per one ounce serving. Raw chocolate, not a bad way to up the iron intake! :)
              (sourc; Sunfood Nutrition, based on research of David Wolfe)

              --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "sunnymilanna" <sunnymilanna@...> wrote:

              > Hi, Kerry,
              >
              > Low iron levels are pretty serious so you should look for other ways to get your iron levels up more quickly. You should also have regular blood draws to check on your iron levels until you see they are up. You might even have some issues with your iron and it might not have to do with mainly your diet.
              >
              > You can buy Floradix Iron and Herbs at the helth food store...
              >
              > Also, Yellow Dock is an herb that herbalists use to up iron levels...here is some info:
              >
              > http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/15/58.cfm
              >
              > Hope this helps...
              >
              > Aimee
              >
              > --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, KERRY MATSON <kerrymum@> wrote:
              > >

              > > hi everyone ... i've been raw for 9 months now. i went to donate blood today & my iron was too low to donate. (when i donated in july, i was just barely high enough to give.) i put lots of spinach in my smoothies and i eat plenty of other leafy greens in my salads, but i'm obviously not getting enough iron. i'd love any input/suggestions you can share with me to get my iron levels up. thanks for your time, kerry

            • Stacey Fassino
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
                I want to recommend discernment with raw cacao usage.  Although David Wolfe is a huge advocate, many raw  "well-knowns" recommend against eating cacao on a regular basis for "health benefits."  The toxic effects off-set any benefits.  http://www.living-foods.com/articles/toxiccacao.html

                Hi Kerry, I did a bit more research and found that raw cacao contains 314% of the US RDA of iron per one ounce serving. Raw chocolate, not a bad way to up the iron intake! :)
                (sourc; Sunfood Nutrition, based on research of David Wolfe)

                --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, "sunnymilanna" <sunnymilanna@ ...> wrote:

                > Hi, Kerry,
                >
                > Low iron levels are pretty serious so you should look for other ways to get your iron levels up more quickly. You should also have regular blood draws to check on your iron levels until you see they are up. You might even have some issues with your iron and it might not have to do with mainly your diet.
                >
                > You can buy Floradix Iron and Herbs at the helth food store...
                >
                > Also, Yellow Dock is an herb that herbalists use to up iron levels...here is some info:
                >
                > http://www.motherna ture.com/ Library/Bookshel f/Books/15/ 58.cfm
                >
                > Hope this helps...
                >
                > Aimee
                >
                > --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, KERRY MATSON <kerrymum@> wrote:
                > >

                > > hi everyone ... i've been raw for 9 months now. i went to donate blood today & my iron was too low to donate. (when i donated in july, i was just barely high enough to give.) i put lots of spinach in my smoothies and i eat plenty of other leafy greens in my salads, but i'm obviously not getting enough iron. i'd love any input/suggestions you can share with me to get my iron levels up. thanks for your time, kerry

              • Pamela Melcher
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
                  Thank you, Stacey,

                  I have known people who were badly affected by raw chocolate.

                  I think it is important that we in the raw food movement be offering only the very most healing food in these times of health crisis.

                  We have so much of value to give to the world.

                  It is important that we are completely trustworthy.

                  Happiness, Peace, Health and Abundance for All!

                  Many Blessings to All,
                  Pamela Melcher

                  I want to recommend discernment with raw cacao usage.  Although David Wolfe is a huge advocate, many raw  "well-knowns" recommend against eating cacao on a regular basis for "health benefits."  The toxic effects off-set any benefits.  http://www.living- foods.com/ articles/ toxiccacao. html

                  Hi Kerry, I did a bit more research and found that raw cacao contains 314% of the US RDA of iron per one ounce serving. Raw chocolate, not a bad way to up the iron intake! :)
                  (sourc; Sunfood Nutrition, based on research of David Wolfe)

                  --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, "sunnymilanna" <sunnymilanna@ ...> wrote:

                  > Hi, Kerry,
                  >
                  > Low iron levels are pretty serious so you should look for other ways to get your iron levels up more quickly. You should also have regular blood draws to check on your iron levels until you see they are up. You might even have some issues with your iron and it might not have to do with mainly your diet.
                  >
                  > You can buy Floradix Iron and Herbs at the helth food store...
                  >
                  > Also, Yellow Dock is an herb that herbalists use to up iron levels...here is some info:
                  >
                  > http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/15/58.cfm
                  >
                  > Hope this helps...
                  >
                  > Aimee
                  >
                  > --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, KERRY MATSON <kerrymum@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > hi everyone ... i've been raw for 9 months now. i went to donate blood today & my iron was too low to donate. (when i donated in july, i was just barely high enough to give.) i put lots of spinach in my smoothies and i eat plenty of other leafy greens in my salads, but i'm obviously not getting enough iron. i'd love any input/suggestions you can share with me to get my iron levels up. thanks for your time, kerry

                • Cori Barth
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
                    Another thing- if your iron is too low to donate, it doesn't mean you are anemic, or even irregular- they actually look for iron on the higher end of the spectrum, so don't worry unless you are very low.

                    I want to recommend discernment with raw cacao usage.  Although David Wolfe is a huge advocate, many raw  "well-knowns" recommend against eating cacao on a regular basis for "health benefits."  The toxic effects off-set any benefits.  http://www.living- foods.com/ articles/ toxiccacao. html

                    Hi Kerry, I did a bit more research and found that raw cacao contains 314% of the US RDA of iron per one ounce serving. Raw chocolate, not a bad way to up the iron intake! :)
                    (sourc; Sunfood Nutrition, based on research of David Wolfe)

                    --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, "sunnymilanna" <sunnymilanna@ ...> wrote:

                    > Hi, Kerry,
                    >
                    > Low iron levels are pretty serious so you should look for other ways to get your iron levels up more quickly. You should also have regular blood draws to check on your iron levels until you see they are up. You might even have some issues with your iron and it might not have to do with mainly your diet.
                    >
                    > You can buy Floradix Iron and Herbs at the helth food store...
                    >
                    > Also, Yellow Dock is an herb that herbalists use to up iron levels...here is some info:
                    >
                    > http://www.motherna ture.com/ Library/Bookshel f/Books/15/ 58.cfm
                    >
                    > Hope this helps...
                    >
                    > Aimee
                    >
                    > --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, KERRY MATSON <kerrymum@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > hi everyone ... i've been raw for 9 months now. i went to donate blood today & my iron was too low to donate. (when i donated in july, i was just barely high enough to give.) i put lots of spinach in my smoothies and i eat plenty of other leafy greens in my salads, but i'm obviously not getting enough iron. i'd love any input/suggestions you can share with me to get my iron levels up. thanks for your time, kerry

                  • Jeff Rogers
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
                      Here is a link to an extensive list of whole foods ad their iron
                      content. I have found no listing of cacao beans or nibs from the USDA
                      Nutrient Database to confirm iron content.

                      http://www.soystache.com/iron.htm

                      Thanks,

                      Jeff
                    • nightowlnation
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 9, 2009
                        Floradix is a vegetarian liquid source of iron. First learned of it from an herbalist I studied under and worked for a few decades ago. I've noticed it's a bit expensive here in Portland. But if you're ever in dire need of therapeutic dosing, it's amazing. I've had intermittent issues with anemia and many of the standard supplements literally leave, for me, an unmanageable taste behind. Floradix is also strong but much easier on the gag-from-bad-taste-reflex. It can be found in well stocked herbal and/or supplements shops and well stocked health food stores. The Vitamin Shoppe carries it and tends to have lower prices.