Re: [RawPortland] another source of raw almonds

  • Angela Coate-Hermes
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 13, 2009
      Hi Nora-

      Yes, they claim that their "really raw" almonds are unfumigated and unpastuerized. However, they are not carrying them right now. They do have many other raw foods. Many of the people on my drop are not raw foodies and they benefit from many of the other natural foods. I like to order things like eco-friendly laundry and dish soap in bulk from AZ, as it saves a lot of money.

      Angela Hermes
      Nutritionist@...
      www.RawPeople.com
      www.RawPeopleRadio.com

      The debt that each generation owes to the past, it must pay to the future. -Abigail Scott Duniway
      http://abchermes.blogspot.com/

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 13, 2009
        Thanks, Angela.
        Nora

        Hi Nora-

        Yes, they claim that their "really raw" almonds are unfumigated and unpastuerized. However, they are not carrying them right now. They do have many other raw foods. Many of the people on my drop are not raw foodies and they benefit from many of the other natural foods. I like to order things like eco-friendly laundry and dish soap in bulk from AZ, as it saves a lot of money.

      • oceangrl20002002
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 14, 2009
          Hi There

          I have a co-op here in Vancouver where we are connected with Azure, Hummingbird, Frontier, and comming up Tree of Life as well as Navitas. We also have a community garden here for those who would need garden space or would like to share as a CSA would.(BTW we currently have a multitude of italian plums needing to be picked /25 cents a lb.OR trade) We are technically a CSA, but not currently listed on the local listing.
          It is my understanding that Azure standards is an organization. Most of their products are from various organic farms and manufacturers, some local most not, but a few things from their farm. Their raw organics mostly come from "Wilderness People". I have a drop here with the co-op, but eveyone signs up with their own personal account so I do not have to handle money and any returns or such are handled straight through them.

          You can email me anytime if you are interested. We have a meeting comminu up on the 24th of this month. If you would like a meetup link I can send you one.

          Cheers!
          Celeste

          --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, annalisejones@... wrote:

          > FYI Azure Standard carries raw almonds for $7/lb - or $30/5 lb. - or there
          > is another option for a lot more that gets it down to $5/lb!!!!!!!!!! These
          > are truly raw, organic, local almonds.

        • Cori Barth
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 14, 2009
            Hi!  My husband and I are from vancouver and must live in an apartment, so we are looking for a community garden.  Most of those around us are full.  What does it take to get one going with you?  We don't really know how the garden works, so would love some info!  Thanks- Cori

            I have a co-op here in Vancouver where we are connected with Azure, Hummingbird, Frontier, and comming up Tree of Life as well as Navitas. We also have a community garden here for those who would need garden space or would like to share as a CSA would.(BTW we currently have a multitude of italian plums needing to be picked /25 cents a lb.OR trade) We are technically a CSA, but not currently listed on the local listing.
            It is my understanding that Azure standards is an organization. Most of their products are from various organic farms and manufacturers, some local most not, but a few things from their farm. Their raw organics mostly come from "Wilderness People". I have a drop here with the co-op, but eveyone signs up with their own personal account so I do not have to handle money and any returns or such are handled straight through them.

            You can email me anytime if you are interested. We have a meeting comminu up on the 24th of this month. If you would like a meetup link I can send you one.

            Cheers!
            Celeste

            --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, annalisejones@ ... wrote:

            > FYI Azure Standard carries raw almonds for $7/lb - or $30/5 lb. - or there
            > is another option for a lot more that gets it down to $5/lb!!!!!!! !!! These
            > are truly raw, organic, local almonds.

          • brion.oliver
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 14, 2009
              Hello, neighbors!

              In the ongoing almond conversation, I would be remiss if I didn't also mention Our Community Pantry.

              Kyler Grandkoski and I have started a community-focused business supplying high-quality raw and organic nuts, seeds, and other goodies to our local community (Portland and Vancouver), with the intention of growing into other products and farm-fresh goodies as the opportunity presents itself and our community membership grows.

              In the subscription model (buying club, CSA, Our Community Pantry, etc.), the potential buying power of a group of neighbors is essentially unlimited, and the generation of waste is severely curtailed when items are distributed to order, versus the retail model of stocking and storing in anticipation of sales.

              I encourage everyone who consumes the type of items available by the many providers who have declared themselves in this thread to consider these many options for getting foodstuffs more inexpensively and in a community-building way.

              Lots of options! We're so lucky!

              Please stop by http://OurCommunityPantry.com/ and see what we have to offer!

              Thanks!

              -Brion