Re: [RawPortland] another source of raw almonds

  • Nora Lenz
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 13 12:05 PM
      Angela,
      Thanks for the info.
      Have you been in contact with them to determine whether the almonds are unpasteurized and unfumigated?
      Nora

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 13 12:23 PM
        Hi Nora-

        Yes, they claim that their "really raw" almonds are unfumigated and unpastuerized. However, they are not carrying them right now. They do have many other raw foods. Many of the people on my drop are not raw foodies and they benefit from many of the other natural foods. I like to order things like eco-friendly laundry and dish soap in bulk from AZ, as it saves a lot of money.

        Angela Hermes
        Nutritionist@...
        www.RawPeople.com
        www.RawPeopleRadio.com

        The debt that each generation owes to the past, it must pay to the future. -Abigail Scott Duniway
        http://abchermes.blogspot.com/

        Have you been in contact with them to determine whether the almonds are unpasteurized and unfumigated?
        Nora

          Yes, they claim that their "really raw" almonds are unfumigated and unpastuerized. However, they are not carrying them right now. They do have many other raw foods. Many of the people on my drop are not raw foodies and they benefit from many of the other natural foods. I like to order things like eco-friendly laundry and dish soap in bulk from AZ, as it saves a lot of money.

        • oceangrl20002002
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 14 10:15 AM
            Hi There

            I have a co-op here in Vancouver where we are connected with Azure, Hummingbird, Frontier, and comming up Tree of Life as well as Navitas. We also have a community garden here for those who would need garden space or would like to share as a CSA would.(BTW we currently have a multitude of italian plums needing to be picked /25 cents a lb.OR trade) We are technically a CSA, but not currently listed on the local listing.
            It is my understanding that Azure standards is an organization. Most of their products are from various organic farms and manufacturers, some local most not, but a few things from their farm. Their raw organics mostly come from "Wilderness People". I have a drop here with the co-op, but eveyone signs up with their own personal account so I do not have to handle money and any returns or such are handled straight through them.

            You can email me anytime if you are interested. We have a meeting comminu up on the 24th of this month. If you would like a meetup link I can send you one.

            Cheers!
            Celeste

            --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, annalisejones@... wrote:

            > FYI Azure Standard carries raw almonds for $7/lb - or $30/5 lb. - or there
            > is another option for a lot more that gets it down to $5/lb!!!!!!!!!! These
            > are truly raw, organic, local almonds.

          • Cori Barth
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 14 12:50 PM
              Hi!  My husband and I are from vancouver and must live in an apartment, so we are looking for a community garden.  Most of those around us are full.  What does it take to get one going with you?  We don't really know how the garden works, so would love some info!  Thanks- Cori

              I have a co-op here in Vancouver where we are connected with Azure, Hummingbird, Frontier, and comming up Tree of Life as well as Navitas. We also have a community garden here for those who would need garden space or would like to share as a CSA would.(BTW we currently have a multitude of italian plums needing to be picked /25 cents a lb.OR trade) We are technically a CSA, but not currently listed on the local listing.
              It is my understanding that Azure standards is an organization. Most of their products are from various organic farms and manufacturers, some local most not, but a few things from their farm. Their raw organics mostly come from "Wilderness People". I have a drop here with the co-op, but eveyone signs up with their own personal account so I do not have to handle money and any returns or such are handled straight through them.

              You can email me anytime if you are interested. We have a meeting comminu up on the 24th of this month. If you would like a meetup link I can send you one.

              Cheers!
              Celeste

              --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, annalisejones@ ... wrote:

              > FYI Azure Standard carries raw almonds for $7/lb - or $30/5 lb. - or there
              > is another option for a lot more that gets it down to $5/lb!!!!!!! !!! These
              > are truly raw, organic, local almonds.

            • brion.oliver
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 14 1:04 PM
                Hello, neighbors!

                In the ongoing almond conversation, I would be remiss if I didn't also mention Our Community Pantry.

                Kyler Grandkoski and I have started a community-focused business supplying high-quality raw and organic nuts, seeds, and other goodies to our local community (Portland and Vancouver), with the intention of growing into other products and farm-fresh goodies as the opportunity presents itself and our community membership grows.

                In the subscription model (buying club, CSA, Our Community Pantry, etc.), the potential buying power of a group of neighbors is essentially unlimited, and the generation of waste is severely curtailed when items are distributed to order, versus the retail model of stocking and storing in anticipation of sales.

                I encourage everyone who consumes the type of items available by the many providers who have declared themselves in this thread to consider these many options for getting foodstuffs more inexpensively and in a community-building way.

                Lots of options! We're so lucky!

                Please stop by http://OurCommunityPantry.com/ and see what we have to offer!

                Thanks!

                -Brion