Re: Announcing Our Community Pantry!

  • brion.oliver
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
      Hi, Lizz!

      We're starting with nuts and seeds because Andrea of ReplenishPDX has introduced us to her nutritional community that wants access to better, cheaper nuts and seeds, and focusing on that for now allows Kyler and I to get our infrastructure in place in a manageable way.

      The ultimate goal is to build a community-focused purchasing model that grants more direct access to whatever the community wants to purchase. If we have 100 or more families subscribed, those families can certainly get cheap access to food direct from local farms, but the community can then also engage other providers inside of a subscription model. Food vendors can make food batches to order, eliminating the waste and risk of selling retail. Jewelry makers with specialty materials can commission orders that allow them to procure exactly what is needed, once again eliminating the waste and risk of the retail model. Any commodity that people within the community want to have or to make can be provided and attained through subscription, which grants cheaper access to both the acquisition and manufacture of those commodities.

      For instance, under The Raw Matrix food label I currently make kale salads which I sell at the farmers' market and in the co-ops. If I have ten units that don't sell in those venues, I have to buy them back from the venues and I lose the time and resources that I invested in making that product. It's high-risk, and subject to the whims of the market. In a subscription model, I can make batches to order, know that I will be able to sell the entire batch, and can thus sell it at a lower price than I would inside of the retail model, and with much less waste. Everyone in the community model benefits.

      In addition to providing cheaper access to providing and attaining various commodities, we strengthen our ties as a community, develop bonded relationships between providers and consumers, deepen our ties to the land and our food sourcing, and build a solid living community organism that possesses vitality and flexibility -- and it is in support of this vision that Kyler and I have started Our Community Pantry. We're happy to sell nuts and seeds, but we're putting in the effort to start this new thing for the larger vision, not nut and seed sales.

      That's the long answer, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to articulate it. Short answer: Yes! When? As soon as our subscriber-ship and our infrastructure can support it. We are planning on adding more product by January, with the potential of going direct-to-farm in the next growing season.

      Be well!

      -Brion
      http://OurCommunityPantry.com/

      --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, Lizz bommarito <circleakitchen@...> wrote:

      > Will you be adding fresh food at anytime in the future?
      >
      > --- On Thu, 9/3/09, brion.oliver <brion@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hi, Angela!
      >
      > Adding a pickup location is as easy as you designating a drop/pickup spot in your neighborhood, getting 5-10 friends and neighbors to participate, and designating someone amongst you to pickup up the group's order for re-distribution at your neighborhood pickup spot!
      >
      > Locally, you can rotate that function, chip in for somebody's time, or organize how to make that work however works best for your local group.
      >
      > Thanks for your interest in Our Community Pantry!
      >
      > http://OurCommunity Pantry.com/
      >
      > -Brion & Kyler
    • brion.oliver
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2009
        Hi, folks!

        If anybody else would like to participate in this initial go-round of Our Community Pantry, we are extending the first order deadline to 7pm this Sunday, 9/6, for pickup the following Sunday, 9/13.