Portland Fermentation Festival

  • Mike Snyder
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2009
      Hi folks,

      A friend just told me about this neat raw food event coming up next week, featuring Sandor Katz, author of Wild Fermentation.

      Also, a friend told me about a new food cart on Alberta serving raw gourmet. It is located at Alberta and 23rd and serves raw vegan foods like sea veggie salads and cacao shake.

      Talk soon,

      Mike

      http://www.wildfermentation.com/events.php?id=150

      "PORTLAND FERMENTATION FESTIVAL

      Come be part of the Fermentation Revival, Thursday, August 27, 6-8 pm, at
      Ecotrust's Billy Frank Jr. Conference Center
      721 NW 9th Ave. Portland, OR
      Free!

      * Share & taste homemade live ferments by local enthusiasts

      * Demonstrate your fermentation techniques

      * Answer questions & Exchange cultures

      * Special guest Sandor Ellix Katz, author of "Wild Fermentation"

      http://www.picklopolis.com/pffentrysheet.pdf

      Want to share your live ferments?* Then reply to this email with the following information:.
      Your Name
      Phone Number
      Email Address

      Please specify which category of ferment(s) you are bringing:

      Liquid Dairy
      Solid Dairy
      Bread
      Liquid Non-alcohol
      Alcohol
      Pickles
      Kraut
      Soy Ferments (Tempeh, Natto, Miso)
      Other

      Questions to Answer:

      Please tell us the name of the ferment along with a one-sentence description, including an ingredient list.

      How long have you been making this ferment?

      Can you bring at least one gallon of this to share?

      Can you bring 100 photocopies of your recipe to share?
      (Consider also providing suggestions on how to use your ferment in recipes, etc.)

      Do you have any starter cultures to share?

      Describe any problems or challenges you've encountered in making this ferment and how you solved them.

      Entries must be received by noon on August 1st. No late entries will be accepted.

      Logistics: We'll supply tables, chairs and the 1 ounce tasting cups. We'll also provide a few trash receptacles to share, as well compost and recycling bins.

      Please note: there is no refrigeration on the premises. There is a sink with tap water available.

      You must bring your own cooler with ice (if necessary) along with any serving utensils you might need.

      If you have starters to share, please bring containers to share them in.

      The event is from 6-8. Load in and setup will be from 4-5:45; everything must be loaded out by 9pm.

      Please help us by passing this along to your fellow fermenters! We hope to see you on August 27th!

      Get in touch via email at:

      pdxfermentfest (at) gmail.com.

      *Live ferments are made without heat or vinegar.

      For more information, visit Sandor's website, www.wildfermentation.com