raw nori/ agave syrup

  • Helen Hecker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
      anyone know if any of the Asian markets cary RAW nori in Portland?  I used to get mine at an Asian mkt in Vancouver-- veyr inexpensive.   Eden at People's runs about $5.45 for ten sheets.

      I picked up Aunt Patty's Agave syrup at Daily Grind  ( also at Peoples and Food Front)-- they were the cheapest--less than $4 for 8 oz bottle.  I emailed the company--- it is not pastuerized-- processing exposes it to about 120 degrees.  They can't claim it is raw.  It is organic.  Haven't used it yet.   Helen
    • Celeste Crimi
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
        i get dried nori, 10 to a packet, at Uwagimawa on Bvtn/Hillsdale Hwy in Beaverton.  It certainly looks and tastes raw, and is black, and costs $1.39/packet.  the sheets are folded in half vertically, the wrapping is clear except for gold and black labeling (all in a language I can't read).  the white sticker label on the back reads:  dried seaweed, yamagataya hoshi nori 10 sheet.  ingredients:  dried seaweed.  product of china.  exported by: Central Trading Co, Ltd.  7-8 Shintomi 2-Chome, Chuo-Ku, Tokyo 104-0041 Japan 03-35525906.  I think that's an address.  :)  it's in the seaweed section.

        Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 11:48 AM
        Subject: [RawPortland] raw nori/ agave syrup

      • l-williamson@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
          i've bought raw nori before at people's co- op but it was way more expensive
          about 18 dollars for a big pack.

          good luck

          --
          www.loriwilliamson.com
        • cloudriver@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
            If you have time (and patience), you can order the raw nori sheets
            from Kris Pletschke.

            Packages of 50 sheets - $12
            Packages of 100 sheets - $23

            You can put together an order for cheaper prices.

            http://www.rawhealth.net

            Though he is now in South Carolina, he has a relative here (in
            Beaverton, I believe) who has stock on hand. She's just not very
            speedy in my experience.....

            Annette

            --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Hecker" <twinpeak@p...>
            wrote:
            > anyone know if any of the Asian markets cary RAW nori in Portland?
          • Sara Johnson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
              Helen,

              Chang Ko on SE 82nd between Burnside & Stark sells black nori sheets, really
              cheap - like $10 for 50 or something like that. I just hold them up to the
              light & get the blackest, thickest looking ones. They definitely taste raw.

              ~Sara

              >From: "Helen Hecker" <twinpeak@...>
              >To: <RawPortland@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [RawPortland] raw nori/ agave syrup
              >Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:48:59 -0700
              >
              >anyone know if any of the Asian markets cary RAW nori in Portland? I used
              >to get mine at an Asian mkt in Vancouver-- veyr inexpensive. Eden at
              >People's runs about $5.45 for ten sheets.
              >
              >I picked up Aunt Patty's Agave syrup at Daily Grind ( also at Peoples and
              >Food Front)-- they were the cheapest--less than $4 for 8 oz bottle. I
              >emailed the company--- it is not pastuerized-- processing exposes it to
              >about 120 degrees. They can't claim it is raw. It is organic. Haven't
              >used it yet. Helen

              Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN
              House & Home. http://coldwellbanker.msn.com/
            • Helen Hecker
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
                Thanks everyone for the Nori tips-- Chang Ko sounds closest to me and
                Uwagimana next. I have been trying to get the co-ops to carry org raw
                agave in bulk. In Calif they have it in bulk for about $8 a quart. Helen